What's new

Is this micro firewall appliance on Amazon TGTBT???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slackjaw99

Regular Contributor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B55XKCZY/?tag=snbforums-20

So a couple days ago I posted about a barebones micro firewall appliance with a J4125 Intel CPU and 4 x 2.5gb Intel NICs I thought was a good deal on Amazon at around $200 which I purchased myself. Now I'm seeing the above from QOTOM with an extra 2.5gb NIC, 2 extra USB ports, and the ability to mount a 2.5" SATA internally in addition to an mSATA slot for $133 USD. But there are almost no reviews, and I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight into whether or not this is legit or just garbage. The fully loaded version with 16gb ram, 512gb ssd goes for around $200 or about what I paid for the barebones box. I gotta think maybe the NICs/CPU might be counterfeit or the problematic older revs, but I am so tempted to return my current box and get this one...

It's legit...I had one of those "Qotom" devices from Amazon and it did just fine running the latest version of OPNsense. If you can find them for $133 that's a pretty solid deal. AliExpress typically has the lowest prices on these x86 router/firewall boxes, but they take a month or so to arrive from China. Personally I would recommend the N5105 barebones kits, they run between $200-$300 and adding 16GB of DDR4 and a 256GB NVMe SSD drive will only add around $60-$75 or so to the total cost. 4 NICs is generally plenty unless you plan on multi-WAN or LAGG between the router and switch.

I've never had issues with hardware that was counterfeit/fake or not as advertised, and I've set up several of those x86 micro appliances for myself as well as for friends/neighbors. Amazon has a no-hassle return policy if you encounter such an issue.

Last edited:
Not sure about TGTBT, but Amazon links are localized and I see LGBTQ type result from Canada.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B55XKCZY/?tag=snbforums-20

So a couple days ago I posted about a barebones micro firewall appliance with a J4125 Intel CPU and 4 x 2.5gb Intel NICs I thought was a good deal on Amazon at around $200 which I purchased myself. Now I'm seeing the above from QOTOM with an extra 2.5gb NIC, 2 extra USB ports, and the ability to mount a 2.5" SATA internally in addition to an mSATA slot for $133 USD. But there are almost no reviews, and I'm wondering if anyone might have some insight into whether or not this is legit or just garbage. The fully loaded version with 16gb ram, 512gb ssd goes for around $200 or about what I paid for the barebones box. I gotta think maybe the NICs/CPU might be counterfeit or the problematic older revs, but I am so tempted to return my current box and get this one...
I have had a Qutom mini PC in use as a network appliance running my VPN and it has worked flawlessly for the past three years.

Damn, one of my spare laptops died, so I was gonna get one these $130 Qotoms, and poof - looks like they sold out whatever supply Amazon had.

Not sure about TGTBT, but Amazon links are localized and I see LGBTQ type result from Canada.
Yeah it just turned into that below the border as well.

Damn, one of my spare laptops died, so I was gonna get one these $130 Qotoms, and poof - looks like they sold out whatever supply Amazon had.
I ordered mine directly from Qotom in China. Process was painless dealt with an someone who spoke English and configured unit as I wanted. Took about a week to get to my location in the USA.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!