What's new

Is using an NTFS formatted disk safe/reliable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dilvish

Occasional Visitor
My old WinXP system uses NTFS disks. I currently backup to an external Seagate GoFlex USB 2 disk(~2TB) using Macrium Reflect Pro. I'd like to connect the external USB disk to my AC66R and backup to it there. However, I have a couple of questions. FYI, I'm running Merlin's 374.42 firmware.

First, I'm assuming the backup speed will be roughly the same as it currently is since I have a gigabit connection via Cat 6 cable and the USB ports are v2?

Second, and more importantly, since I'll be using it for my backups, I need it to be reliable. However, I've seen some old posts about data corruption when using an NTFS disk connected to the router's USB ports. Is this still an issue?

I'd like some reassurance that my data won't become corrupted/lost.

Thanks.

My old WinXP system uses NTFS disks. I currently backup to an external Seagate GoFlex USB 2 disk(~2TB) using Macrium Reflect Pro. I'd like to connect the external USB disk to my AC66R and backup to it there. However, I have a couple of questions. FYI, I'm running Merlin's 374.42 firmware.

First, I'm assuming the backup speed will be roughly the same as it currently is since I have a gigabit connection via Cat 6 cable and the USB ports are v2?

No. The router wasn't designed to work as a NAS, so its CPU and USB interface will seriously limit performance. Expect 15 MB/s at best.

Second, and more importantly, since I'll be using it for my backups, I need it to be reliable. However, I've seen some old posts about data corruption when using an NTFS disk connected to the router's USB ports. Is this still an issue?

Yes. NTFS will never be safe or reliable under Linux, because it relies on reverse engineering for its implementation. Microsoft doesn't share the NTFS low-level specification, or any code related to its implementation.

As RMerlin said, most of these router-based NAS features are basically "value add".

If you really need NAS functionality, they're not going to give you a whole lot.

Single-drive NAS boxes are pretty cheap too.

The wise Merlin once recommended to me to not expect NAS class performance from the router. Even the RT-AC68U (dual core, 800Mhz).

I bit the bullet one day and purchased a dual disk NAS box on sale (approx. $120). Added two 3.5" hard drives and was good to go.

Wow, what a difference. Disk I/O from the RT-AC68U to USB disk was at best 12MB/sec. At best. With the NAS box (connected to the RT-AC68U 1G port) same writes gets me ~35MB/sec. Almost 3X the speed - and very noticeable.

Not sure why you guys keep on saying '15MB/s at most' since I constantly get 35MB/s, both on NTFS and ext3, via my RT-AC56U's USB3 WD MyPassport Ultra (2TBs). Unfortunately I do get constant disconnects of some sort to the point where I really can't unarchive anything, but the speed is very good :/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!