What's new

ISP _ no aes/3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Justinpt

New Around Here
Here’s what’s happening,

My ISP has WPA/WPA2 (TKIP) configured in its router. I called to switch to the most recent WPA standard either by doing an upgrade or sending newer router, but they said don’t have it - from south European country. Lmao
Monthly pricing is €60 and has 2 year attachment, if client rescinds has big penalty.
Total surprise it’s like this.

What should I do?

What can you do?

Spend $$$ to get what you want. Or, use what you have. If you can't switch ISPs altogether to get the features you want.

Switched once, that was exactly like this. There’s one more ISP I could try but has the same going more than likely.

If I connect a router like ax asus into the isp’s router, could that fix the problem?

Yes, bridge the ISPs router, use one with features you require.

I called to switch to the most recent WPA standard

Your devices must support WPA3 and PMF. If you don't run WPA2/WPA3 mixed your older devices won't connect.

TKIP is WPA1, and is seriously unsafe to use in 2023 as it's trivial to crack. Are you sure your router doesn't support WPA2/AES?

WPA2 is still fine, only a limited number of devices support WPA3 yet.

I'm 99.9% sure whatever router the ISP provided it has WPA2/AES. It was available on N routers many years ago.