What's new

ISPs Will Control The Stack

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CrystalLattice

Regular Contributor
Last edited:
I think "world ISPs" is something of an exaggeration, unless by that you mean "some American cable companies". Wake me up when it becomes a reality outside the US.

You read my mind, Colin. Did indeed mean that as euphemism for evil american cable cos.! but then looked at this:
https://wiki.rdkcentral.com/display/RDK/Licensees Some huge euro names in there.
Smells mostly like marketing BS TBH. Sure, it seems to be a way for DOCSIS operators to bring extra functionality into the home. So to my mind this is not about "ISP's" or "the internet", merely a cable company thing. I think in the US there's more convergence of things like phone, TV and internet, outside the US not so much.

Smells mostly like marketing BS TBH. Sure, it seems to be a way for DOCSIS operators to bring extra functionality into the home. So to my mind this is not about "ISP's" or "the internet", merely a cable company thing. I think in the US there's more convergence of things like phone, TV and internet, outside the US not so much.
it is marketing bs, you can call US ISPs evil or such because they are a monopoly purely for profit rather than the being goal based on the purpose of their business which is to provide connectivity. However ISPs do not control the stack. To give an example on how UK ISPs block websites they dont use DNS hijacking or blocking, but at layer 3 at their gateways they can see the URLs by using the firewall if you look out for http/https on layer 3 then apply a layer 7 filter to find the urls in the headers/packets and just redirect them. They dont control the stack.

US ISPs go further by adding routes/throttle based on your urls rather than IPs which is how they throttle certain websites or services in favour of their own, but they never control the stack.

No one can control the stack, if you do the internet wont work properly if you try to over manipulate things. I am currently working with my local ISP in testing security, so next month i will be coming up with a detailed blog about ISP security, and then layer 2 security for LAN as theres a lot ISPs need to worry about in security but theres also efficiency and whether clients on the same network can communicate directly at layer 3 rather than going through the ISP.

As above, world ISPs intend to control the stack by implementing standards, like RDK-B. Third party routers will become obsolete, soon. There may be some standardized use cases still extant for Openwrt, as the standardized SD_WAN OS.

Yes and no - the RDK efforts about about harmonization at the prem side of the carrier's network...

As this has been a bit of a mess standards and application-wise.

If one is running a carrier provided Gateway/Wireless AP - not a change...

I am not going to let the cable company run my network. They can run theirs but the hand off is at the front door of my internet.

I am not going to let the cable company run my network. They can run theirs but the hand off is at the front door of my internet.

And likely they won't - one might have to push a bit, but like you, I own my little private LAN...

They do own the connectivity on the Prem/WAN side... that's a given, and they can control the premise side, but there's always the limit. To the ISP's - I do take a rather libertarian view -- stay out of my network and I'll stay out of yours...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online