What's new

Issue with 2.4Ghz and nest / ring devices in 386.2 alpha 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dbell

Regular Contributor
See my other thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-ax86u-node-and-iot-devices.71002/

Thought my new AX86U was causing problems with my nest / ring devices on 2.4ghz guest network 1, but it turns out it must be related to a change in 386.2 alpha 2.

They wouldn't connect to my AC5300s either until I went back to 386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777

Didn't seem to affect my sonos devices though - they appeared in the connected devices list although I didn't play anything on them.

I'm using a mixture of Ring devices and one Nest IQ Cam and haven't had a problem after moving to Alpha 2 yesterday. In fact I would say they are working better for me.

I did a full factory reset and the only changes I made to the default WiFi settings was to set fixed channels, 20Mhz on 2.4Ghz, 80Mhz on 5Ghz.

See my other thread here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-ax86u-node-and-iot-devices.71002/

Thought my new AX86U was causing problems with my nest / ring devices on 2.4ghz guest network 1, but it turns out it must be related to a change in 386.2 alpha 2.

They wouldn't connect to my AC5300s either until I went back to 386.2_alpha1-ga84fed8777

Didn't seem to affect my sonos devices though - they appeared in the connected devices list although I didn't play anything on them.
What WPA version are you using? WPA2 or WPA3 or WAP2/WAP3

My Ring devices are working fine with WPA2-Personal so that can be considered "known good"

Wpa2-personal

I'm not on the Alpha but do have a number of Nest devices. When they all start acting up, it's usually from a noisy neighbour and a congested channel. At that point, it's time to hunt and find a better 2.4GHz channel to stabilize again.

I'm not on the Alpha but do have a number of Nest devices. When they all start acting up, it's usually from a noisy neighbour and a congested channel. At that point, it's time to hunt and find a better 2.4GHz channel to stabilize again.
Thanks for the input but all of the channels and ssids were consistent and I'm more than 100 yds from any neighbors - the only change was firmware version - they connected immediately I reverted back to prior alpha version.

FYI - I've just upgraded to the 386.2 Beta 1 for my APs and all my Nest devices re-connected without issue.

Also upgraded to 386.2 Beta 1 and my Ring and Nest devices all re-connected without problems

Downloading - will try later once work / school calls are over

Are your devices on the guest or regular 2.4 ssid ? Put 386.2 beta 1 on the router and the nest / ring stuff fell off again. Wondering if it is an issue with dhcp responses on guest network.

Soon as I went back to 386.2 alpha 1 they can rejoin. Suppose the good news is that it is not the new ax86u node or WiFi 6 since the firmware on my AC5300 router seems to be the important factor.

Last edited:
Are your devices on the guest or regular 2.4 ssid ? Put 386.2 beta 1 on the router and the nest / ring stuff fell off again. Wondering if it is an issue with dhcp responses on guest network.
Mine are all on the regular 2.4 network.

I had 1 Ring Camera on guest 1 to test if the issues are fixed, otherwise on my main network.

Have you done a full factory reset?

My network had a big wobble today. I did a factory reset when I moved to Alpha 2, but a dirty update when I moved to the Beta. Overnight I had real problems with my on-demand TV downloads failing (wired connections) and then my Nest camera fell off WiFi in the early hours. During the morning I noticed that my Ring cameras also had problems (they were fine yesterday).

I've done another full factory reset on the Beta and at the moment everything is connected and working as expected.

No I have not done factory reset since 386.1_2

For what its worth, I upgraded to 386.2 Beta1 yesterday from alpha2 and this is the first Merlin based firmware that correctly allows my ring doorbell first gen to connect using dhcp. previous to this, the only way I could get the ring doorbell to connect at all was to setup the ring with a static ip during the setup in the app on my tablet. using dhcp mode would always insure a failure to connect. I never had this problem with Fresh Tomato or DD-WRT or OpenWrt (openwrt on a different router admittedly).

Needless to say I am pretty happy about this.

Interesting and thanks for the post. Mine were all fine with dhcp until this recent alpha2 build.

Once everyone has gone to bed tonight I will have to do a factory reset and try again since that is one thing that I haven't done since before alpha2.

OK everyone went out soooooo........

Factory reset with 386.2 beta 1 and devices on 2.4 guest slot 1 to share with mesh node; all ring / nest devices disconnected.

Moved guest SSID to slot 2 and all remained disconnected until I allowed access to Intranet and then they reconnected. Moved the ssid back to slot 1 and again they remained disconnected until I enabled Intranet access.

So I guess they are not getting a dhcp response for the .10x subnets, even though the router log shows a DHCPREQUEST(br1) and DHCPACK(br1) for their MAC addresses. Looking at nvram values that I saved back in Feb there no longer seems to be any br1 definitions but I don't profess to understand the inner workings of the vlans. When intranet access is enabled now, wl0.1 is added to this value: br0_ifnames=vlan1 wl0.1

UPDATE: Could have sworn I edited the above before posting but they do appear in the connected device list with a .101.x address so they are getting dhcp lease, but can't connect out to their respective services to indicate they are online.

Last edited:
So with the alpha you did not have to enable intranet access on the Guest Network?

One of the reasons for moving IoT devices to guest was isolation from intranet and have always run with that disabled until 386.2 alpha 2 came along.