What's new

Issue with DNS or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What can I say ColinTaylor, but thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions and explain all this. It's very much appreciated. I tend to use the search bar for most things and I can see you regularly post on DNS related threads stretching back years, so thanks again for your valuable input in the last 24hrs. I now have a much better understanding of how my own network is functioning (I'm glad its doing what its supposed to be doing) and I will continue on the learning curve. Cheers

Morning!

Sorry, trying desperately not to ask too many questions, but.....

I have added all the ips and host names to hosts.add (may change the file name at some point) but its working great and I can reboot the router/access points and after they have rebooted I can ping any host name on the entire network and it is resolving without errors.

I am finding when I ping bathroombulb1, it resolves fine, I then reboot the bedroom access point bathroombulb1 is connected to, bathroombulb1 temporarily goes offline while bedroom access point reboots, bathroombulb1 reconnects when bedroom access point has rebooted, and I can ping bathroombulb1 and it will resolve immediately, meaning bathroombulb1 has successfully reconnected to the network via bedroom access point.

The problem I am finding is bathroombulb1 is a device I have installed in an integration in Home Assistant and it is taking 10 full minutes for bathroombulb1 to reconnect to Home Assistant, and that goes for all the devices that were connected to bedroom access point. I can replicate this issue every time by simply rebooting the access point. If I reboot living room access point, all devices that are in Home Assistant and connected through living room access point will go offline for 10 minutes. But all devices resolve immediately when I ping them.

Does that make any sense to you? Ive searched the HA forums but not finding anything and checked HA settings but there is nothing in there. Is there a line I can dd to hosts or something to force HA to update quicker, I dont even know if its updating slowly to be honest.

Just to add, all the devices in HA are installed using their host names, the whole point of me doing the host.add etc. If I change the installtion for a device from its hostname and use its IP instead, the device is listed in HA immediately as soon as the access point has rebooted, but there is a 10 minute wait when I use its host name instead. There is an option to use either the IP or hostname during installation.