What's new

Issues ASUS RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Red1

New Around Here
Good morning all,
I have limited experience with wifi routers, i plug them in and they work i browse across the router settings, and so on, anyway lately my RT-N66U as experienced some issues with 5 ghz wifi, i have an oculus quest i sometimes stream 4k video to using 5ghz wifi, sometimes it drops 5ghz wifi, only way to get my quest to reconnect to 5ghz is rebooting the router or changing the 5ghz channel which restarts the 5ghz wifi, i also noticed my samsung s10 plus lost 5ghz connection in the passed before i purchased the quest, do you think my router is on it's last legs and may be time to upgrade, or is there anyway to fix it.
I'm using firmware 3.0.0.4.374_5517, i know it's old but like i always say if it works don't fix it, was thinking of a new router the ASUS RT-AX58U.

The RT-N66U only has "n" WiFi whereas almost every 5GHz device nowadays (like your Samsung and Oculus) are "ac" devices. Whilst they should be backward compatible there could be interoperability issues. Because your firmware is so old I suggest that you update it to the latest version because it has newer WiFi drivers which may be more compatible. If nothing else it's worth installing because it fixes a slew of security vulnerabilities.

Of course it could simply be that the hardware is getting too old. The power adapters have been known to become "weak" after time and replacing it can sometimes fix these kinds of intermittent problems. But then you have to decide whether it's worth spending any money on trying to fix it.

Good morning all,
I have limited experience with wifi routers, i plug them in and they work i browse across the router settings, and so on, anyway lately my RT-N66U as experienced some issues with 5 ghz wifi, i have an oculus quest i sometimes stream 4k video to using 5ghz wifi, sometimes it drops 5ghz wifi, only way to get my quest to reconnect to 5ghz is rebooting the router or changing the 5ghz channel which restarts the 5ghz wifi, i also noticed my samsung s10 plus lost 5ghz connection in the passed before i purchased the quest, do you think my router is on it's last legs and may be time to upgrade, or is there anyway to fix it.
I'm using firmware 3.0.0.4.374_5517, i know it's old but like i always say if it works don't fix it, was thinking of a new router the ASUS RT-AX58U.

I would flash the current firmware, reset it, and configure it from scratch (no restore of saved settings). And shop for a new router... early AX WiFi 6e routers could arrive later this year but will be pricey and could be troublesome. Otherwise, consider the RT-AC86U or cheaper RT-AC66U_B1.

Someone else here will have to suggest an AX WiFi 6 router... the AX58U may be one, but know that the 6e routers are to be improved AX routers.

OE

The RT-AX58U would be an excellent upgrade from the RT-N66U and will better support current clients, ISP speeds, and network demand too.

If the RT-AC86U is significantly less expensive than the RT-AX58U in your area, that would also be a huge upgrade to the network and would be a good purchase at this time.

The still to be announced WiFi 6E routers won't be ready for prime-time for at least 6 months or more. Buy one of the two above if flashing the current firmware (either stock or if you're feeling ambitious, @john9527's excellent RMerlin fork for your router) doesn't fix your issues.

Don't forget to flash the firmware you want first, then, do a full reset to factory defaults afterward. Then, minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

The RT-AX58U price in my area is £164.99 and the RT-AC86C is £157.49 making it £7.50 difference not worth the purchase of the AC86U, so i think i may buy a RT-AX58U, be a big upgarde, many thanks for the information, and in the future i think i'll give a upgrade firmware for the N66U.

Curious about what the RT-AX88U cost is in your area? If in your budget, it is a big step up from the RT-AX58U.

And certainly not twice as good.

Yep the RT-AX88U is not worth the asking price in the UK, so will most likely purchase the RT-AX58U, this weekend sometime.