What's new

Issues With GCC on Windows 10 Bash Shell

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adamm

Part of the Furniture
So I thought I'd play around with Windows 10 Bash I had seen reddit posts for other OpenWRT based builds compiling successfully as its more or less a Ubuntu installation.

Unfortunately I can't get GCC to play nice as it does with my 12.04 Ubuntu VM. From what I understand this is an issue with 32 and 64bit libs but I can't seem to get past it. Here's the exact error;

/root/asuswrt-merlin/release/src/router/busybox/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 11: /opt/brcm-arm/bin/arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

root@ADAMS-COMPUTER:~/asuswrt-merlin/release/src-rt-6.x.4708# file /opt/brcm-arm/bin/arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc
/opt/brcm-arm/bin/arm-brcm-linux-uclibcgnueabi-gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped

uname output;

Linux ADAMS-COMPUTER 3.4.0+ #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 1 17:06:05 CST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any guidance is appreciate.

Thanks

OpenWRT's build environment and tool chain is quite a bit different from what AsusWRT does...

Probably best to stick with a VM and once one has a working config, leave it alone, lol...

I understand they are different, the point being most tools work as expected. I think there is a lot of benefits to being able to build on a native windows install rather then a VM/VPS. I'm sure there's an easy solution to the problem

I understand they are different, the point being most tools work as expected. I think there is a lot of benefits to being able to build on a native windows install rather then a VM/VPS. I'm sure there's an easy solution to the problem

Check the Wiki articles, the required 32-bit libraries are listed there (if that's really what's blocking you). I suspect the problem might be elsewhere tho, as you're not dealing with a 100% native Linux environment here.

The Ubuntu userland, if I recall, is based on Xenial (16.04)... but as RMerlin mentions above, it is a different environment.

(my build box is a VM, as it's stable, and I keep changes there to an absolute minimum, that way, if the build breaks, it's easier to debug...) - VirtualBox is free, and runs well enough, and if you're Win10 Pro, there's always the HyperV option (which can cause other issues, hehe).

WSL is surprisingly quite capable. I'm able to (mostly) compile my project tomatoware. The biggest hindrance is the 'mv' command when renaming certain directories, kind of a dumb issue. And it can't handle fakeroot either which I use for packaging. I have no doubt it would be able to compile firmware images at some point, if not already. fakeroot could cause issues though.