What's new

Issues with MAC cloning on latest firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

magic108

New Around Here
I upgraded my N66U to the latest Asuswrt version 3.0.0.4.374.5517 as well as to the latest version of Merlin's firmware and I noticed that when I try to clone a MAC address it will not attempt to obtain a WAN IP address after the first DHCP failure observed in the logs. The issue persists regardless of whether the DHCP query frequency is set to aggressive or normal mode but the he issue goes away when I remove the cloned MAC addresses. Everything was fine until the last couple of firmware versions I thought maybe the issue was just with Asus's build but I also had the same issue with Merlin's latest build. I also thought it was an issue with Charter but I tried using a different router(Dlink) and I was able to clone addresses no problem. Anyone else having this issue or have any solutions besides rolling back the firmware?

I upgraded my N66U to the latest Asuswrt version 3.0.0.4.374.5517 as well as to the latest version of Merlin's firmware and I noticed that when I try to clone a MAC address it will not attempt to obtain a WAN IP address after the first DHCP failure observed in the logs. The issue persists regardless of whether the DHCP query frequency is set to aggressive or normal mode but the he issue goes away when I remove the cloned MAC addresses. Everything was fine until the last couple of firmware versions I thought maybe the issue was just with Asus's build but I also had the same issue with Merlin's latest build. I also thought it was an issue with Charter but I tried using a different router(Dlink) and I was able to clone addresses no problem. Anyone else having this issue or have any solutions besides rolling back the firmware?

Most ISPs won't allocate a second DHCP lease if you change MAC address. You have to power off your modem for 5-10 mins to ensure the existing lease gets released by the ISP before you can obtain a new lease with a new MAC.

Most ISPs won't allocate a second DHCP lease if you change MAC address. You have to power off your modem for 5-10 mins to ensure the existing lease gets released by the ISP before you can obtain a new lease with a new MAC.

It's not the ISP, I already tried leaving everything off for 30 minutes and I manually released the address just to be sure. I don't seem to have this issue with my other router, it has no problem cloning addresses and I had no problem cloning on the previous firmware version. I'm just gonna rollback the firmware and see if the issue goes away and I'll post what happens.

Also I've been watching the logs when I try cloning the MAC address I noticed that after initial boot and DHCP failure it does not attempt to retry even after an hour of waiting. When I remove the cloned address it starts initiating DHCP query's normally and will obtain an IP address.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!