What's new

I've been ignoring my AC3200's EOL status for too long...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deefa

New Around Here
Hi all, excuse the essay.

Long-time user of an AC3200 with Merlin's firmware, setup is:
  • (very) Large 2-level home (with a cat6 wired detached studio).
  • Router fairly centrally located upstairs
  • Sluggish AU broadband - 50/20 Mb/s - with the AC3200 doing the pppoe connection
  • Many wired devices local to router & wired points
    • My 'office' area is downstairs at one extreme end of Wifi range - it is wired for work devices but phone struggles with uploading to NAS etc)
  • 30+ wifi devices and growing (kids stuff battling it out on the 2.4GHz radio :) while I enjoy one of the uncongested 5GHz radios)
  • wifi device in garage, on 2.4GHz network - marginal but serviceable signal level)
Stuff I do:
  • I normally have an openvpn server listening from the internet, to allow me in for various reasons.
  • I intermittently use outgoing VPN client connections (that are shared by all our devices)
  • I block devices connectivity to the internet, if they don't need it.
  • Started on the home automation path - datalogging with Home Assistant, incorporating lights etc)
    • I see more wifi devices
Extra stuff I have:
  • ISP-supplied router
  • un-managed switches etc

Stuff I'm planning:
  • I'm thinking of connecting all IoT devices to the ISP router as a separate network, and connecting wired to primary (new) router)
  • I would like to move the AC3200 downstairs and mesh with the primary router, to improve the reception at the 'office' and garage area
  • I 'feel' I have got value out of the three radios in the AC3200 - I had them set up individually and spread the various wifi devices across them manually
    • Can I get similar out of a dual band?

Main thing is I need a supported router for the WAN connection. Prefer ASUS, prefer Merlin's firmware as an option. I purchase routers infrequently, so I think an AX support i s must-have.

Suggestions/Comments?

AX86U is the most recommended router on this forum. With the better firmware and hardware you will not have to play games with separate SSID's for the bands. One SSID with SmartConnect works well.

i think i remember comments in a thread here about AX router playing better with AX nodes for ASUS AI mesh.
Otherwise use the AC as an AP only is what i recall.

If you have wired everywhere, placing 5GHz only APs in strategic locations, even down to single rooms, on lower power can work well as your load builds. Then you focus on more robust equipment where you need it - main router/firewall/VPN server , etc. and upgrade as you need and as your clients can support newer wireless.

If you absolutely need tri-band then the most logical upgrade would be the GT-AX11000. Otherwise, an RT-AX86U might serve you best as the new main router.

The RT-AC3200 does not support AiMesh. You'd have to install it as either an AP or a Repeater.

If you absolutely need tri-band then the most logical upgrade would be the GT-AX11000. Otherwise, an RT-AX86U might serve you best as the new main router.

The RT-AC3200 does not support AiMesh. You'd have to install it as either an AP or a Repeater.
Thank you.
When I think about it, I haven't used the second 5Ghz radio as much as I thought, so perhaps I can skip that and use a dual band, @ half the price of the GT-AX11000 the RT-AX68U appears a lot more attractive.
(and I can set up the AC3200 as a repeater/AP easy enough from the office area, which is 2 drywalls and a foil insulation area from the garage)

My aging AC3200 finally gave up yesterday - radios still up (but no internet) web GUI still accessible but only one wired client listed. Reset didn't help.
I headed out and picked up an RT-AX86U as recommended - merlinwrt install was a breeze, home connected and back up and running.
Now I just have to check and see if there is any new functionality I should take advantage of.

Thanks all.

ps. - I'll see if I can resurrect the AC3200 in some fashion - the garage (with the Tesla powerwall gateway and solaredge inverter) is still at the edge of 2.4G range, and of course we didn't get that location wired.

If it works in Media Bridge mode, that would be ideal. (For the garage, if the devices there are wired-capable).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!