What's new

IWLWIFI + AX210 / Linux - needs some work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, so Linux for WIFI can get tricky depending on what you're doing.

For hosting an AP in the past I used a qnap qwa-ac2600 adapter until I got sick of waiting for an AX card for the internal AP function. At which point I went with an external AP of NWA210AX.

I didn't test the MTK as a client option because that wasn't the intent of use for me. With the QNAP though I could saturate the line up to ~980mbps with an AX200/210 client adapter.

Killer is a waste of time and just hype to get more money out of gamers. Now, the AX411 with DCT on the other hand actually does what it says it will do by combining both 2.4 / 5 ghz bands into a single connection as I've seen 1.5gbps from it. The downside is you have to have ADL or newer CPU for CNVIO2 cards to operate at peak performance.

Two parts of the equation though.... AP + Client... if they don't have the features needed to get beyond 1gbps then it's a waste of time. If the port on the AP is 1gbps it's a waste of time. If the LAN connections don't exceed 1gbps it's a waste of time. The complete path end to end between devices needs to match up for the speeds you're trying to accomplish.

On the wired side I'm running 5GE because my NAS drives hit 400MB/s+ and when I want to copy things quickly an ethernet between laptop / server delivers those speeds and leaves room for other traffic to not be impacted.

So, the other trick to Linux + AX200/210 cards is to update the firmware files from Intel and put them into /lib/firmware. I go through my system and remove most of the intel files though to keep it efficient on boot instead of searching through the multiple files and it just reduces the clutter.

Code:
sudo lspci -s 00:14.3 -vvv
00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-S PCH CNVi WiFi (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 00b4
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: Memory at 604b114000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0
                        ExtTag- RBE- FLReset+
                DevCtl: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr+ NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq- AuxPwr+ TransPend-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range B, TimeoutDis+ NROPrPrP- LTR+
                         10BitTagComp- 10BitTagReq- OBFF Via WAKE#, ExtFmt- EETLPPrefix-
                         EmergencyPowerReduction Not Supported, EmergencyPowerReductionInit-
                         FRS-
                         AtomicOpsCap: 32bit- 64bit- 128bitCAS-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 16ms to 55ms, TimeoutDis- LTR+ OBFF Disabled,
                         AtomicOpsCtl: ReqEn-
        Capabilities: [80] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=16 Masked-
                Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00002000
                PBA: BAR=0 offset=00003000
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Latency Tolerance Reporting
                Max snoop latency: 0ns
                Max no snoop latency: 0ns
        Capabilities: [164 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0010 Rev=0 Len=014 <?>
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi

If you want to get away from the standard Intel options there's very few options still even a couple years after they released the 200/210 cards. Half of the issue is releasing the spectrum worldwide and the other half is chip supply apparently. On the router / AP side it's taken just as long but, it seems like things are finally ramping up on that side as well. With WIFI 7 coming in under 2 years though it's a hard sell with all of the delays and lack of market saturation at this point to sink money into gear.

The AX411 works as an AP as would the 200/210 cards if you tweak how the IWL file works and disable some checks to enable AP hosting but, you'll still be limited in bandwidth. The Qualcomm based options from prior experience don't have this issue but, I haven't tested them personally at this point as I don't really need to spend the $75 on card + shipping but, it's still intriguing as a solution. Had the initial purchase been in stock and shipped I could provide more info and POC to the performance.

I was using a MB8600 and LACP 2 ports off the modem into my DIY setup to get the 1.5gbps out of the connection. I ditched them though for TMHI for $50/mo and unlimited data and double the upload speeds. Sure, the gig speeds were nice but, not needed 100% of the time but, the sticking issue was gig gave 40mbps upload vs 10mbp upload on the lower tiers. Plus the only other option was ATT DSL which is stupid for 25mbps @ $45/mo.
Reimaged from scratch 22.04.1 and just loaded new firmware… it hits 400mbs on speed tests, fast, but won’t break. I previously had backport drivers and whatnot in place (I’d thrown the kitchen sink I could think of at this) so I just wiped the slate clean. Nothing.

Any other ideas before I ditch Intel? I don’t have an ADL system so I can’t go 411, sadly. The MTK sounds promising, if it can negotiate an effective 960, as a client it should match or break that. Hosting is usually more demanding than guest.

Also it’s intriguing, I never considered making my own AP, really that’s all a WiFi router is at the end of the day (a small pc running a small footprint Linux kernel with open or closed source hosting / drivers, route, and firewall table…). I knew this, but never stopped to appreciate it. There’s a lot that goes into a router from smart rule sets, custom Linux builds, part picking, alignment of antennas, etc.

The MTK is a cheap option to try at under $20. If it doesn't work then send it back to Amazon.

When it comes down to tech everything run on some form of Linux unless it requires Windows be ause of lazy developers. Cars, phones, routers, switches, etc.

Consumer prepackaged routers are just to make it simple for non techies to reasonably configure something that gets the job done and not much more. If you dig into them you find Linux running the show and can hack into it to make improvements to the systems.

Taking a $70 card and $20 of antennas and putting them into a Linux system makes for a cheap 6E router compared to paying $600+ for something soff the shelf. If you already have the system to put it into. Just like not paying hundreds for a NAS that's limited in bays and functionailty due to design. Taking file sharing on the LAN in a PC format gives you more options and scalability. A little imagination goes a long way in getting what you want and not just settling for what's for sale.

It's not really custom builds of the os it's just slimmed down images to fit in confined storage. I use Ubuntu for my OS and then just added the packages needed for the networking or raid on the NAS. The rules are simple if you're looking for secure access and plenty of guides to make them do more if you need something more niche.

@Tech Junky

as promised - here's a working ath11k hostapd configuration - this is from QSDK, so you might find some openwrt-ism's in there, but it should be a good start for your QC-Atheros cards

2.4GHz

Code:
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=127
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=127
logger_stdout_level=2
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
hw_mode=g
supported_rates=60 90 120 180 240 360 480 540
basic_rates=60 120 240
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
channel=6
chanlist=6

ieee80211n=1
ht_coex=0
ht_capab=[LDPC][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][MAX-AMSDU-7935][DSSS_CCK-40]
ieee80211ax=1
he_su_beamformer=1
he_mu_beamformer=1
he_default_pe_duration=4
he_rts_threshold=1023
he_mu_edca_qos_info_param_count=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_q_ack=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_queue_request=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_txop_request=0
he_mu_edca_ac_be_aifsn=8
he_mu_edca_ac_be_aci=0
he_mu_edca_ac_be_ecwmin=9
he_mu_edca_ac_be_ecwmax=10
he_mu_edca_ac_be_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_aifsn=15
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_aci=1
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_ecwmin=9
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_ecwmax=10
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_ecwmin=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_ecwmax=7
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_aifsn=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_aci=2
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_aifsn=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_aci=3
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_ecwmin=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_ecwmax=7
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_timer=255

radio_config_id=444572aaa8af28ef8484b6fe1229c901
interface=wlan1
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
bss_load_update_period=60
chan_util_avg_period=600
disassoc_low_ack=1
skip_inactivity_poll=0
preamble=1
wmm_enabled=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
uapsd_advertisement_enabled=1
utf8_ssid=1
multi_ap=0
wpa_passphrase=password
wpa_psk_file=/var/run/hostapd-wlan1.psk
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
ssid=11axtest
bridge=br-lan
wds_bridge=
snoop_iface=br-lan
wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries=0
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
okc=0
disable_pmksa_caching=1
dynamic_vlan=0
vlan_naming=1
vlan_no_bridge=1
vlan_file=/var/run/hostapd-wlan1.vlan
qos_map_set=0,0,2,16,1,1,255,255,18,22,24,38,40,40,44,46,48,56
config_id=9c191caadb440b9c80d731ff0885753c
wds_sta=1
bssid=94:83:c4:19:94:2a

5GHz

Code:
driver=nl80211
logger_syslog=127
logger_syslog_level=2
logger_stdout=127
logger_stdout_level=2
country_code=US
ieee80211d=1
ieee80211h=1
hw_mode=a
beacon_int=100
dtim_period=2
channel=52
chanlist=36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165

tx_queue_data2_burst=2.0
ieee80211n=1
ht_coex=0
ht_capab=[HT40+][LDPC][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40][TX-STBC][RX-STBC1][MAX-AMSDU-7935][DSSS_CCK-40]
ieee80211ac=1
vht_oper_chwidth=1
vht_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=58
vht_capab=[RXLDPC][SHORT-GI-80][TX-STBC-2BY1][SU-BEAMFORMER][SU-BEAMFORMEE][MU-BEAMFORMER][MU-BEAMFORMEE][RX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][TX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][RX-STBC-1][SOUNDING-DIMENSION-2][BF-ANTENNA-4][MAX-MPDU-11454][MAX-A-MPDU-LEN-EXP7]
ieee80211ax=1
he_oper_chwidth=1
he_oper_centr_freq_seg0_idx=58
he_su_beamformer=1
he_mu_beamformer=1
he_default_pe_duration=4
he_rts_threshold=1023
he_mu_edca_qos_info_param_count=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_q_ack=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_queue_request=0
he_mu_edca_qos_info_txop_request=0
he_mu_edca_ac_be_aifsn=8
he_mu_edca_ac_be_aci=0
he_mu_edca_ac_be_ecwmin=9
he_mu_edca_ac_be_ecwmax=10
he_mu_edca_ac_be_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_aifsn=15
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_aci=1
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_ecwmin=9
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_ecwmax=10
he_mu_edca_ac_bk_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_ecwmin=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_ecwmax=7
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_aifsn=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_aci=2
he_mu_edca_ac_vi_timer=255
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_aifsn=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_aci=3
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_ecwmin=5
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_ecwmax=7
he_mu_edca_ac_vo_timer=255

radio_config_id=36f75cc2454077cb712c9b5173cc5a1f
interface=wlan0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
bss_load_update_period=60
chan_util_avg_period=600
disassoc_low_ack=1
skip_inactivity_poll=0
preamble=1
wmm_enabled=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
uapsd_advertisement_enabled=1
utf8_ssid=1
multi_ap=0
wpa_passphrase=password
wpa_psk_file=/var/run/hostapd-wlan0.psk
auth_algs=1
wpa=2
wpa_pairwise=CCMP
ssid=11axtest-5
bridge=br-lan
wds_bridge=
snoop_iface=br-lan
wpa_disable_eapol_key_retries=0
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
okc=0
disable_pmksa_caching=1
dynamic_vlan=0
vlan_naming=1
vlan_no_bridge=1
vlan_file=/var/run/hostapd-wlan0.vlan
qos_map_set=0,0,2,16,1,1,255,255,18,22,24,38,40,40,44,46,48,56
config_id=b42e3771eddb6f0d96ac8811ea3cd562
wds_sta=1
bssid=94:83:c4:19:94:2b

Last edited:
Thanks but I've deferred a bit on doing this at the moment to tackle other things. I didn't have a problem putting together a config but the MTK card just not doing well or offering AX in the driver. If I could hack the Intel ax411 to do more than 40mhz bandwidth that would be even more appealing at 1/3 of the cost.

So I broke the 400mb/sec limit... Turns out it was interference from my monitor. I can now hit an effective 515mb/sec to the internet, after changing the orientation of my NUC in Ubuntu. I should note my negotiation to my router jumped from 1440 to 1733 afterwards and in turn my effective bandwidth to the internet is now 515 vs 400.

Now granted, Windows is giving better results so the driver is still in play here, but now the AX210 is "outgunning" my other non-AX adapters in Ubuntu.

The real question, do I bother with the MTK or another ATH11K? I've got till the 26th to send the AX210 back to Amazon so I'm not stuck with it...

Well, try the MTK and if it performs well then you're done and if not then take the leap to the atheros. I got the MTK on Amazon for easy returns if it didn't work for my AP project.

Well, try the MTK and if it performs well then you're done and if not then take the leap to the atheros. I got the MTK on Amazon for easy returns if it didn't work for my AP project.
The MTK does negotiate 1200mb back to my Asus ROG (vs the 1733 of the AX210)... However, it "caps" around 400mb on download, and oddly, refuses to break 33mb on uploads in internet speed tests. It does seem to consistently achieve better downloads, however, the uploads being consistenty slower, is a big downer. It goes back.

Really curious about that $70 Qualcomm now. Too bad it isn't free returns if it doesn't work. $70 may not be a ton, but it's enough that just throwing it out the window without evidence it won't perform gives pause.

Yeah, that ath card gives me pause but, having worked with them in the past I'm confident it will do better with Linux at least.never tested them in Windows though. That non Amazon ease makes me look for confirmations first but, no one has posted anything anywhere. If the AC models can run 24/7 as an AP the AXE should do just fine as well. It's a bit of a niche use case for me and you. It doesn't make sense you're seeing speed issues with Intel on Linux though form the client side.

Yeah, that ath card gives me pause but, having worked with them in the past I'm confident it will do better with Linux at least.never tested them in Windows though. That non Amazon ease makes me look for confirmations first but, no one has posted anything anywhere. If the AC models can run 24/7 as an AP the AXE should do just fine as well. It's a bit of a niche use case for me and you. It doesn't make sense you're seeing speed issues with Intel on Linux though form the client side.
The Linux logs indicate the MCS may be being "cut in half", presumably the (Intel) driver in Linux isn't as mature to negotiate the peak modulation on the client side in AX mode.

That said the MTK is suffering the same fate. This may get into Kernel support itself. You seem to be tech saavy but I'd urge you to test distant endpoints on your setup; wonky stuff like MTU and interference can impact true/effective bandwidth vs negotiated bandwidth. I'm having to debug TCP congestion issues in "real life" on some Windows Servers... For whatever reason, CUBIC and CTCP want to throttle may TCP concurrent conns to a server to 10. I'm no network god, but I'm telling you the devil is in them details... Scratching my head still on that issue btw as just upping the TCP connections is probably a bad idea like "the ol days", maybe not though?

Well, it depends on how you have things setup. Networking needs the entire path A to Z to be in shape for the packets to work and flow properly.

Check the cables first and then the NICs. If this still acting up look at the switched and routers.

My diy box handles all of my routing and switching. I have an AP for WiFi as consumer gear just pissed me off after awhile.

Kernel support is there but, there are other things you can tweak. For instance disabling lar in iwl gets me a slow but 5ghz AP mode on an Intel card which normally isn't possible. Disabling ax on an ax200/210 got me stable AC max speeds 866Mbps. Intel is a bit shady when it comes to Linux but usually works fine.

Disabling ax on an ax200/210 got me stable AC max speeds 866Mbps. Intel is a bit shady when it comes to Linux but usually works fine.

Just keep in mind that Intel is focused on the client STA side - so iwlwifi can support AP mode for a limited number of clients, it's mostly for adhoc and wifi direct use cases, not intended for full-on AP duties...

Running it now...

Works out of the box with ATH11K

Speeds show it around 200mb in real life, with 1200 negotiated back to my router. It's late at night though, my WAN link is likely saturated upstream from my neighbors (on cable, shared WAN this time of night). Plan to retest tomorrow outside of peak demand.

Latency is excellent though, beats my AX210. But right now the AX210 bests it's delivered bandwidth. Again, that could be neighborhood Comcast congestion.

The Linux logs indicate the MCS may be being "cut in half", presumably the (Intel) driver in Linux isn't as mature to negotiate the peak modulation on the client side in AX mode.

The current intel linux driver is very conservative in idle state, and it "races to speed" and elevates up if radio considerations permit...

What about LAN to LAN speed? Can you test that? Also, the card should sync at 2400 not 1200 if you're setup on 160mhz channel bandwidth. Depends on the router as well.

What about LAN to LAN speed? Can you test that? Also, the card should sync at 2400 not 1200 if you're setup on 160mhz channel bandwidth. Depends on the router as well.
Can't seem to break 300mb...

#sudo lshw -C network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Atheros QCNFA765
vendor: Qualcomm
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
logical name: wlp6s0
version: 01
serial: 00:15:61:25:30:13
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath11k_pci driverversion=5.15.0-52-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.50.227 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:157 memory:da200000-da3fffff

#lspci -nnk | grep -A2 0280

06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros QCNFA765 [17cb:1103] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Qualcomm Device [17cb:0108]
Kernel driver in use: ath11k_pci

#modinfo ath11k_pci

filename: /lib/modules/5.15.0-52-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath11k/ath11k_pci.ko
firmware: ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/m3.bin
firmware: ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/amss.bin
firmware: ath11k/QCA6390/hw2.0/board-2.bin
license: Dual BSD/GPL
description: Driver support for Qualcomm Technologies 802.11ax WLAN PCIe devices
srcversion: 4FAC79E0DCFA6D40B64D2DA
alias: pci:v000017CBd00001104sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000017CBd00001103sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias: pci:v000017CBd00001101sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends: mhi,ath11k
retpoline: Y
intree: Y
name: ath11k_pci
vermagic: 5.15.0-52-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
sig_id: PKCS#7
signer: Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key: 49:B2:3F:66:E1:3B:8B:67:11:CE:17:63:41:27:D0:B1:28:DF:09:8C
sig_hashalgo: sha512
signature: 8F:98:5D:C8:C4:00:EC:E2:08:83:CC:D5:BF:80:09:1C:AE:56:9D:93:
95:0C:D6:F5:7C:48:94:97:73:69:9C:7D:ED:56:FB:DE:29:03:B4:5A:
39:44:EB:CA:03:5F:7C:1B:08:95:2A:86:2D:57:3D:BD:FC:9E:9D:6E:
D3:18:44:63:46:7F:90:40:B1:AA:8B:C3:FE:FB:81:88:4D:9B:89:CA:
01:12:B1:48:F5:CB:1D:E6:5F:C5:19:CB:F3:F9:CC:13:B8:83:AC:0D:
6F:F6:6C:3D:EE:57:14:5D:38:4E:E9:8E:5D:22:CA:C9:80:EF:0B:87:
99:97:18:D8:21:80:68:38:86:F0:11:C8:AA:E9:9F:27:06:99:AC:DB:
43:69:F1:36:CD:C5:C7:02:E1:0E:74:3E:78:15:3A:42:2F:79:C3:12:
3D:37:BF:A2:9C:F4:98:3C:3A:82:DE:3D:BC:92:28:F5:E1:56:47:C6:
F9:F7:11:7C:7E:11:DB:61:A8:35:21:22:19:CA:50:16:C0:7A:CD:8E:
5F:E5:EB:EF:52:4C:12:CA:44:D3:F9:B9:16:2B:1A:97:C8:BD:B1:86:
54:10:9E:E0:72:5D:78:7B:C8:AA:BF:C9:04:86:EA:CC:D5:9F:EC:27:
68:2B:AE:E1:F8:82:1A:3F:3B:31:4F:B3:C0:A4:0D:78:F6:E2:F3:BE:
53:58:C6:78:3B:0E:8D:53:9B:A0:7D:2F:A3:38:EA:39:5C:2F:EC:7F:
64:9D:19:00:A9:58:07:83:96:98:47:EF:39:C2:54:6C:78:A1:5F:6D:
09:B1:DA:CE:CD:30:81:49:CD:1A:69:D6:87:5A:95:71:1B:D3:28:2E:
BC:5B:56:9E:BB:8B:C3:CF:D8:42:2C:5C:58:E8:B7:BD:B9:E3:DC:C3:
1F:F3:23:AF:F2:38:79:01:79:20:63:67:6C:FD:58:7A:04:A6:4D:3C:
7E:A0:AE:0E:6A:C3:56:6E:4C:0E:81:E6:98:BE:2D:41:25:DC:CF:8B:
BC:A1:7C:EA:35:2D:6F:28:24:F6:C8:F4:10:3D:6D:85:69:10:47:C0:
46:E3:52:24:7C:D9:08:68:24:B1:6B:3C:69:B8:67:C6:0C:BA:9D:5B:
39:E7:1F:BB:0B:AB:B2:E8:63:65:01:07:89:CF:3B:36:90:03:43:DD:
3D:1F:C3:13:BC:16:AA:BD:9F:BD:3D:EA:DC:B8:1E:BA:51:AB:CC:51:
C0:EE:15:5A:49:BA:DB:4E:8A:98:34:52:DD:40:7A:1C:9A:80:E7:F2:
72:24:4B:00:11:CE:5A:59:37:0A:C1:16:99:12:56:DB:BE:04:0F:A1:
BD:5B:4A:DE:3D:C5:40:79:A6:C9:8E:AA

My Macbook is punching 550mb right now, so Comcast is congested... Normally this time of day it's around 1400... I'll try LAN to LAN momentarily, on both.

edit: 23mb/sec is the best I can manage, HTTPs and SMB to my Synology...

I'll retest against the AX210 sometime later... Have to do real work :(

Last edited:
5.15.0-52-generic firmware
Might be the kernel version. Also, looking for QCNFA765 doesn't show up as an option on embedded's website... so, which card did you end up getting / from where? "WCN6856" output shows the QCNFA765 https://www.embeddedworks.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=WCN6856

I know Linux usually states something different to an extent with HW outputs so, it wouldn't surprise me if it's picking up something different from the HW / FW itself than the model it's sold under.

For my AX411:
Code:
*-network                
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Alder Lake-S PCH CNVi WiFi
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 14.3
       bus info: pci@0000:00:14.3
       logical name: wlp0s20f3
       version: 11
       serial: 60:a5:e2:e8:20:f6
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=6.1.0-060100rc1-generic firmware=71.058653f6.0 so-a0-gf4-a0-71.u latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff irq:18 memory:604b114000-604b117fff

00:14.3 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Alder Lake-S PCH CNVi WiFi [8086:7af0] (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:00b4]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi

filename:       /lib/modules/6.1.0-060100rc1-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
license:        GPL
description:    Intel(R) Wireless WiFi driver for Linux

depends:        cfg80211
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           iwlwifi
vermagic:       6.1.0-060100rc1-generic SMP preempt mod_unload modversions
sig_id:         PKCS#7
signer:         Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key:        3E:0E:DC:89:0E:CA:10:69:2F:BE:29:48:E9:D6:41:80:11:A9:0D:77
sig_hashalgo:   sha512

parm:           swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int)
parm:           11n_disable:disable 11n functionality, bitmap: 1: full, 2: disable agg TX, 4: disable agg RX, 8 enable agg TX (uint)
parm:           amsdu_size:amsdu size 0: 12K for multi Rx queue devices, 2K for AX210 devices, 4K for other devices 1:4K 2:8K 3:12K (16K buffers) 4: 2K (default 0) (int)
parm:           fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (default true) (bool)
parm:           nvm_file:NVM file name (charp)
parm:           uapsd_disable:disable U-APSD functionality bitmap 1: BSS 2: P2P Client (default: 3) (uint)
parm:           enable_ini:0:disable, 1-15:FW_DBG_PRESET Values, 16:enabled without preset value defined,Debug INI TLV FW debug infrastructure (default: 16)
parm:           bt_coex_active:enable wifi/bt co-exist (default: enable) (bool)
parm:           led_mode:0=system default, 1=On(RF On)/Off(RF Off), 2=blinking, 3=Off (default: 0) (int)
parm:           power_save:enable WiFi power management (default: disable) (bool)
parm:           power_level:default power save level (range from 1 - 5, default: 1) (int)
parm:           disable_11ac:Disable VHT capabilities (default: false) (bool)
parm:           remove_when_gone:Remove dev from PCIe bus if it is deemed inaccessible (default: false) (bool)
parm:           disable_11ax:Disable HE capabilities (default: false) (bool)

1) Turn off secure boot in the bios
2) Install some other packages maybe (linux-modules-generic, ubuntu-drivers install)
3) Replace the board-2.bin file in /usr/lib/firmware and /lib/firmware
4) update software (linux-firmware etc.) to more recent version.

Work break...

1, 2, 4, NA; Secure boot off, already running the generic drivers, and I'm up to date for LTS... Running Jammy, not the new STS.

#3 though? Replace board-2.bin, with what?

Purchased 7205-1

Received

Model: WMX7205
P/N: WMX7205-1

I swapped the connection from my DS220+ from gigabit to 2.5G on my AX-GT6000; getting 24.5mb max now. Touch better, which is normal regardless of what client is used. I normally leave the Synology on one of the T-1000s as anytime I reboot the router, or it gets power cycled, I have to cycle the NAS to renegotiate it or else the NAS drops.