What's new

JFFS Backup and restore?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Decado

Occasional Visitor
I'm sure it's been covered and apologise for asking but after a week of solid reading I've hit the "forum fatigue" stage and a couple of searches drew blanks. Also being a windows animal and linux illiterate doesn't help.

Suggested best practice/method for backing up and restoring the JFFS partition?

Regards
Ari

This is your friend and pretty self explained.
Install it via atm and you are done in several minutes.

This is your friend and pretty self explained.
Install it via atm and you are done in several minutes.

Thank you so much!

The utility above is mainly aimed at backing up NVRAM variables, although it also does jffs.

If you're only interested in the jffs partition just use the option in the router's GUI (Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting), that's what it's there for.

The utility above is mainly aimed at backing up NVRAM variables, although it also does jffs.

If you're only interested in the jffs partition just use the option in the router's GUI (Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting), that's what it's there for.

Thanks very much Colin

I should have seen that but I keep getting lost in the firmware menus, three weeks ago I’d never even owned an Asus router let alone used custom firmware on one. Now with the AX88u running merlin, diversion and skynet I’m wondering why it took me so long. Lucky for me this community is so tolerant lol

No reason I can’t use both backup methods and I’m old and cautious so I probably will.

regards
Ari

Thanks very much Colin

I should have seen that but I keep getting lost in the firmware menus, three weeks ago I’d never even owned an Asus router let alone used custom firmware on one. Now with the AX88u running merlin, diversion and skynet I’m wondering why it took me so long. Lucky for me this community is so tolerant lol

No reason I can’t use both backup methods and I’m old and cautious so I probably will.

regards
Ari
I'm the same, I've only had my Asus for a week and don't know Jack about any of this technical stuff, so I think for now anyway I will keep mine on 384.18 since it is working well. I am reading this forum and hopefully learning some from all these Wizards on here.

I'm the same, I've only had my Asus for a week and don't know Jack about any of this technical stuff, so I think for now anyway I will keep mine on 384.18 since it is working well. I am reading this forum and hopefully learning some from all these Wizards on here.

It’s certainly the place to learn.

FWIW I had already installed 384.19 before I read that some folks were having issues with that version, from what I read though there is always a sub set of users who have issues with pretty well any version due to circumstances relevant to them but that may not apply to the majority.

Currently I am at 1 day 10 hours uptime running at about 60% RAM usage with diversion, entware and skynet installed and with no issues that my limited experience can discern.

Skynet is blocking about 25000 inbound attempts per day and the family are utterly heartbroken to be missing out on all the ads (not)

It never hurts to have mutliple backups. For cautions like this, I usually take a backup, then I reboot the router without touching it for anything else, wait 30 mins, then backup the jffs/nvram again.

Ok, I went ahead and updated to 384.19 about 30 min ago, I did a backup of the jffs and clicked the format jffs at reboot and also the one right below it the custom jffs also (I didn't know if I should click that one or not but I didn't think it would hurt anything), restored jffs and everything seems to be good so far.

Ok, I went ahead and updated to 384.19 about 30 min ago, I did a backup of the jffs and clicked the format jffs at reboot and also the one right below it the custom jffs also (I didn't know if I should click that one or not but I didn't think it would hurt anything), restored jffs and everything seems to be good so far.

I hope I haven't lead you down the garden path with that one. At about 1 day and 20 hours I had a couple of random reboots and then an odd lockup where I could ssh into it across the LAN but had no WEBGUI access, a red WAN light and no wifi connectivity what so ever.

I did a full reload from scratch with 384.18 including reformatting the external SSD just to see how that goes. I'm currently at about 25 hours of up time and so far so good. This time I have also installed scmerlin so I can ssh in and restart the individual packages should it happen again. If I strike any further issues I'll let you know.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: DCT
I hope I haven't lead you down the garden path with that one. At about 1 day and 20 hours I had a couple of random reboots and then an odd lockup where I could ssh into it across the LAN but had no WEBGUI access, a red WAN light and no wifi connectivity what so ever.

I did a full reload from scratch with 384.18 including reformatting the external SSD just to see how that goes. I'm currently at about 25 hours of up time and so far so good. This time I have also installed scmerlin so I can ssh in and restart the individual packages should it happen again. If I strike any further issues I'll let you know.

Regards
Ari

No, you didn't, I just decided to go for it because I want to keep it up to date. So far mine is working without a hitch.