What's new

johns fork or ? for Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
I have one of my N66Us running merlin at my Mom's, and I wasn't really paying attention that it is no longer supported by Merlin.

What would "the furniture" recommend as a path to keep this router in service?

She only uses wired. The wifi is infrequently used by family members so the hardware needs of the N66U are mroe than adequate.

I'm mostly concerned about security updates. None of the other features are enabled or needed. I don't need remote access. When I have to work on things I setup a WebEx and screen share / remote control her desktop.

I didn't really want to spend money on a new(er) router so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

I wasn't really paying attention that it is no longer supported by Merlin.

<snip>

I'm mostly concerned about security updates.

That’s the crux of the problem not which firmware you choose. That said, latest stock is dated 2018-05-15 so I’m guessing your best bet would be John’s fork indeed.

If they are only using basic Ethernet/Wireless functionality, I see no reason not to go back to the stock firmware.

I used to run Merlin on my N66u, up until John started the fork. I will update my N66u so I have a stand-by router in case something goes wrong with my ac5300. My ac5300 ran stock for the time it took to upload Merlins firmware. I'd definately go with Johns fork.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!