What's new

Just ordered AX86U, couple quick set up questions/refresher.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

willyburz

I pulled the trigger to update from my RT-AC3200, to the RT-AX86U. Just a couple quick questions/verifications on wifi settings before it comes in next week.

All wifi connected items= thermostat, multiple nest mini speakers, multiple chromebooks, pixel phones, fire tablet, tendo switch, directv, printer. My work pc is on the 2.4 guest network, I will set that up again on guest with the new router. I currently have one or two AX devices, more will be purchased this year, the rest are ac. Most all are 2x2

1. How should I have the wpa setting now with wpa3 security feature? I see there is an option for combo 2 and 3?

2. I take it the Asus routers still perform better with smart connect turned off?

3. I'm still going to run separate ssid's, put lower priority on 2.4 versus the 5 line. Anything changed with this thought process, or should I dump all on 5 regardless?

4. Should I even bother using the 2.4 ssid as a backup on priority devices? "it's relatively clean here for as packed as it can be" I currently set the primary devices to 5 and if it has to hard switch on severe drop off distances, it'll go to the 2.4

5. I usually run my 5 line on ch 161 after doing wi fi analyzer app, any changes or thoughts for channels.

IF there is anything simple I'm missing that's new in the settings, let me know.

Last edited:
I can comment as follows:

1. I have set WPA2/WPA3-Personal for both bands. My legacy 2.4 devices (mainly Squeezeboxes) need WPA2 and even some of my 5G devices will not connect if set to WPA3-P only. I have also had to turn off AX mode on 2.4G as my Squeezeboxes will not stay connected with it enabled.
2&3. I have turned this off as I had devices getting confused (the newer firmwares may have improved this) and have separate SSIDs for each band but YMMV.
4. I would keep it on for back up/longer range.
5. If it is clear and works well you are all set.

HB

I pulled the trigger to update from my RT-AC3200, to the RT-AX86U. Just a couple quick questions/verifications on wifi settings before it comes in next week.

All wifi connected items= thermostat, multiple nest mini speakers, multiple chromebooks, pixel phones, fire tablet, tendo switch, directv, printer. My work pc is on the 2.4 guest network, I will set that up again on guest with the new router. I currently have one or two AX devices, more will be purchased this year, the rest are ac. Most all are 2x2

1. How should I have the wpa setting now with wpa3 security feature? I see there is an option for combo 2 and 3?

2. I take it the Asus routers still perform better with smart connect turned off?

3. I'm still going to run separate ssid's, put lower priority on 2.4 versus the 5 line. Anything changed with this thought process, or should I dump all on 5 regardless?

4. Should I even bother using the 2.4 ssid as a backup on priority devices? "it's relatively clean here for as packed as it can be" I currently set the primary devices to 5 and if it has to hard switch on severe drop off distances, it'll go to the 2.4

5. I usually run my 5 line on ch 161 after doing wi fi analyzer app, any changes or thoughts for channels.

IF there is anything simple I'm missing that's new in the settings, let me know.

Could you do an iperf3 test when you received it to see if the data rate result from your end? I have a weird result from my rt-ax86u but everything else is fine with this router.

thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!