What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Very sorry, but I don't know what happened.
Are you running in AP mode?
I've never seen "0 2 * * * * wlan apscan" myself.
Also the Bandwidth Usage has NEVER updated at refresh of page.
Did you try the most simple thing - to off and on the Bandwidth usage again?
Hi Kamoj,

When I accessed Bandwidth Usage this morning, the note at the bottom indicates that the page was generated at 02h00 today (it is now 06h49). 02h00 is consistent with the "Last Seen" times as well. Reloading the page doesn't force an update.

So I went to System Information | Cron Jobs and it seems that all of the Bandwidth Usage cron jobs have disappeared. This is the current output:

Code:
/tmp/etc/crontabs:
0 2 * * * * wlan apscan
52 04 * * * streamboost update_fmn; streamboost auto_upload; streamboost auto_update && streamboost restart

What happened? I need your guidance again, please.

Very sorry, but I don't know what happened.
Are you running in AP mode?
I've never seen "0 2 * * * * wlan apscan" myself.
Also the Bandwidth Usage has NEVER updated at refresh of page.
Did you try the most simple thing - to off and on the Bandwidth usage again?
I'm not running in AP mode (nor have I ever run in AP mode). I did not try anything; I was confused, so I wrote for help.

Using the Settings page to disable and re-enable bandwidth usage restored the bandwidth-related cron jobs. The bandwidth usage page now records the correct updated time, and "last seen" has started to update (though it is too soon to know if usage is actually being recorded again). Measured usage is still cumulative (and was not reset). I assume that all of the usage between 02h00 and 10h24 was not recorded.

The only change made in the router during the affected period was that at about 02h20, I changed the DNS settings (from "Get Automatically from ISP" to servers I specified). I pressed "Apply", and several minutes later pressed "Test". I reversed these changes this morning (at about the same time that I wrote to you).

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the details and reports. :)
This extra information is good to remember.
I'm not running in AP mode (nor have I ever run in AP mode). I did not try anything; I was confused, so I wrote for help.

Using the Settings page to disable and re-enable bandwidth usage restored the bandwidth-related cron jobs. The bandwidth usage page now records the correct updated time, and "last seen" has started to update (though it is too soon to know if usage is actually being recorded again). Measured usage is still cumulative (and was not reset). I assume that all of the usage between 02h00 and 10h24 was not recorded.

The only change made in the router during the affected period was that at about 02h20, I changed the DNS settings (from "Get Automatically from ISP" to servers I specified). I pressed "Apply", and several minutes later pressed "Test". I reversed these changes this morning (at about the same time that I wrote to you).

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: KW.
I have been running FW:V1.0.2.80.5SF (Voxel). Kamoj Add-on:5.4b10 for 48 hours now with no issues seen to date. I am using DNS Encryption: Stubby. I do not use a VPN client, so I have not tested that.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b11
--------------------------------------------------
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Toggle Open/Close function for show log buttons (@nsx)
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Partly refactored.
- DNSPrivacy/Ad-Blocking: Added "Include part of syslog" to on/off addition in 5.4b9:
"- Restart Supervision: Added: Logging last 90 seconds of syslog when internet down"
- OpenVPN Client: Added "--ignore-unknown-option block-outside-dns" to default options (@Infinitum)
To reduce errors e.g. when using Surfshark. (block-outside-dns is only valid for Windows)
- Minor changes in logging
- FAQ.txt updated with info about corrupt configuration/backup files

Thank you for all the complex work, kamoj! Unfortunately, I'm immediately bringing a new/revised issue report. I plan to review logs, but wanted to report immediately in case there's a user error here.

Issue: enabling DNSCrypt Proxy v2 drops upload speeds under 1 Mbps, despite FiOS connection running at 200/200+. Turning DNSCrypt off via web interface does not restore upload speeds, issues persists through reboots, config changes, etc. Replicated 3x.

V1.0.2.80.5SF V5.4b11

Steps to duplicate, I personally replicated these 3 times tonight to confirm the issue:
1. NVRAM wipe via ssh (nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot)
2. Set admin password, SSID, wifi password, router function, reboot via GUI
3. Web speed test 266/163
4. Enable telnet via GUI, set ssh key via telnet (from USB drive), reboot
5. Copy and install kamoj add-on via ssh, reboot
6. Web speed test 280/128
7. Enable DNSCrypt Proxy v2 via GUI (second radio button under DNS Filter/Encryption), reboot
8. Web speed test 222/0.53

I believe this issue occurred under V5.4b10, as well. I blamed the Surfshark VPN configuration for the issue, but I almost always activate DNSCrypt and VPN in the same step. I have tried stopping DNSCrypt via ssh rather than the GUI (/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy-2 stop), but I have yet to find a way to bring upload speeds back up to normal, short of an NVRAM wipe.

For the purposes of these tests, my AP R7800, connected via moca, was offline from start to finish. I left the VPN off, and I also didn't load my own DNS blacklist.

Thank you.
Please try other options!
I.e. try this:
  • Make sure QoS is OFF
  • Make sure Traffic Meter is OFF
  • Switch on the add-on Bandwidth Usage, wait 10 minutes and display it's statistics , see if any device use much (UL) Bandwidth.
  • For speed tests, only use the add-on command: speedtest.sh, and post it's output here.
  • Set DNSCrypt extended logging ON before starting DNSCrypt, and Check/Print the DNSCrypt log, and your DNSCrypt server list
  • Remove "cloudflare" from your DNSCrypt server list, and save.
  • Run this command from router prompt: ps www | grep dnscrypt
  • Run Stubby instead of DNSCrypt
  • To restore speed: Set DNSCrypt OFF in GUI and reboot
  • Run Voxel FW with DNSCrypt without add-on.
PS
Maybe you too advanced user?o_O
I don't understand what is "FiOS" and "moca", and why do you describe what is NOT connected?
I suggest you instead describe your system that IS connected/running, to make people here understand your case.
PPS
You can run OpenVPN Client, DNSCrypt2 and Aegis very well without the add-on!

Have a fantastic day! :cool:

Thank you for all the complex work, kamoj! Unfortunately, I'm immediately bringing a new/revised issue report. I plan to review logs, but wanted to report immediately in case there's a user error here.

Issue: enabling DNSCrypt Proxy v2 drops upload speeds under 1 Mbps, despite FiOS connection running at 200/200+. Turning DNSCrypt off via web interface does not restore upload speeds, issues persists through reboots, config changes, etc. Replicated 3x.

V1.0.2.80.5SF V5.4b11

Steps to duplicate, I personally replicated these 3 times tonight to confirm the issue:
1. NVRAM wipe via ssh (nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot)
2. Set admin password, SSID, wifi password, router function, reboot via GUI
3. Web speed test 266/163
4. Enable telnet via GUI, set ssh key via telnet (from USB drive), reboot
5. Copy and install kamoj add-on via ssh, reboot
6. Web speed test 280/128
7. Enable DNSCrypt Proxy v2 via GUI (second radio button under DNS Filter/Encryption), reboot
8. Web speed test 222/0.53

I believe this issue occurred under V5.4b10, as well. I blamed the Surfshark VPN configuration for the issue, but I almost always activate DNSCrypt and VPN in the same step. I have tried stopping DNSCrypt via ssh rather than the GUI (/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy-2 stop), but I have yet to find a way to bring upload speeds back up to normal, short of an NVRAM wipe.

For the purposes of these tests, my AP R7800, connected via moca, was offline from start to finish. I left the VPN off, and I also didn't load my own DNS blacklist.

Reactions: KW.
Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b12
--------------------------------------------------
- R9000 only: Fan handling. I've had many questions and request about this function,
and have made a Clean-up and Bug-fix of code and GUI, and added some functions:
R9000: debug form: Fan Algorithm: Reworked the extremely confusing form, added (default values)
R9000: debug form: Added: Fan speed (rpm)
R9000: debug form: Added: Always enable Fan (Fan ON always, speed as selected in speed drop list)
R9000: debug form: Added: New Fan speeds: 1000, 5000, 9000 rpm
Nota Bene: Use 9000 rpm with caution, e.g. shorter times for test with "Always enable Fan"
Thank you all persistent beta testers, and reports.
- Changed "Online Support" page at bottom line to Online Support for used router.
- FAQ.txt updated

Hi everybody, yesterday I jumped on the beta users train!
Installation was ok (better then the V5 version, which doesn't show some menù), just a thing I have noted, maybe other testers can have it and tell me you to see some related logs. The WAN led was orange for several minutes (about 5) after the reboot post installation. It doesn't impact in some way, I made speedtests both via cable that wifi and everything was ok, but it was strange to me. I also tried unplug-plug the WAN and the light change from orange to white in seconds.

Hi Kamoj,

As you know, one of the add-on areas that I focus upon is Bandwidth Usage. When I upgraded from b10 to b11, the accumulated usage persisted, though about 1/3 of it disappeared. I have 13 connected devices, and I don't know how the loss was distributed (I didn't take a screenshot before the upgrade; next time I will). My guess would be that the usage that was lost (about 500M) was the most recent.

You know your architecture; I do not. My guess is that the recent data was cached but not written to NVRAM before the R7800 was rebooted. Therefore it was lost on the reboot.

Is there something that I could or should do (presumably via the Telnet command prompt) before I upgrade the add-on to ensure that all of the usage data is safely committed to NVRAM?

Many thanks

Not to nvram, no good idea. wearing issues.
usb device is ok.
you can make/change cron job to save more often.
my bandwidth meter is not very much used i thought.

Hi Possible bug issue I will try and explain as best possible
Issue takes about 12/13 days to show up and was present in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b10 and the previous beta I had installed which was presumably 9
I have a 900 down 100 up connection
I use AdGuard with standard settings. I use no other feature of the addon
For approx 12 days everything working fine
Then upload and download speeds slowed to a crawl
Reboot failed to fix
Uninstalled addon - failed to fix
Reset router to factory defaults and tried a config backup - failed to fix
Reset to defaults again and then manually set up without using config file and all working OK. Speeds back to normal
Installed Addon again and was last using beta 5.4b10
all worked fine for approx 12 days then speeds slowed again to a crawl again
Uninstalled addon - rebooted - failed to fix
I had created a new backup config file after the last issue and after router reset this installed no fine
Speeds back to normal
I am currently running router without addon and will see what happens to speeds after 12 days or so

Lots of things to try such as reducing DNS log data time to see if router was getting overrun (although there was no obvious issues when looking at router stats page)

I will need to wait until I have run router without addon - It may not even be the addon

I see a previous post about speeds when using DNSCrypt Proxy v2 - Possibly some kind of connection ?

Thank you for the report and Heads Up!
Not heard anyone else reporting this kind of issue - yet!
Had you set to get any Extended logging ON?
Please come back with more information after you 12 days!

Hi Possible bug issue I will try and explain as best possible
Issue takes about 12/13 days to show up and was present in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b10 and the previous beta I had installed which was presumably 9
I have a 900 down 100 up connection
I use AdGuard with standard settings. I use no other feature of the addon
For approx 12 days everything working fine
Then upload and download speeds slowed to a crawl
Reboot failed to fix
Uninstalled addon - failed to fix
Reset router to factory defaults and tried a config backup - failed to fix
Reset to defaults again and then manually set up without using config file and all working OK. Speeds back to normal
Installed Addon again and was last using beta 5.4b10
all worked fine for approx 12 days then speeds slowed again to a crawl again
Uninstalled addon - rebooted - failed to fix
I had created a new backup config file after the last issue and after router reset this installed no fine
Speeds back to normal
I am currently running router without addon and will see what happens to speeds after 12 days or so

Lots of things to try such as reducing DNS log data time to see if router was getting overrun (although there was no obvious issues when looking at router stats page)

I will need to wait until I have run router without addon - It may not even be the addon

I see a previous post about speeds when using DNSCrypt Proxy v2 - Possibly some kind of connection ?

R9000 user.......the new fan controls do work....takes a minute for it to spin up to 9000rpm...I do like the Always on option.........oh if we could only overclock these things

Hi, I'm trying to undestand if DnsCrypt2 works... what is the relationship with the DNSs set in advanced : setup : internet setup?
There, I put openDNS servers, while these in dnsCrypt config:
cloudflare
faelix-ch-ipv4-doh
dnscrypt.eu-nl
dnscrypt.eu-dk

but if check here it says i do not use DoT o DoH. I miss something...

If you want to use/test only cloudflare you should remove the other servers from DNSCrypt config.
At the bottom of the add-on DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking page, you have many URL's you can use for testing.
Hi, I'm trying to undestand if DnsCrypt2 works... what is the relationship with the DNSs set in advanced : setup : internet setup?
There, I put openDNS servers, while these in dnsCrypt config:
cloudflare
faelix-ch-ipv4-doh
dnscrypt.eu-nl
dnscrypt.eu-dk

but if check here it says i do not use DoT o DoH. I miss something...

If you want to use/test only cloudflare you should remove the other servers from DNSCrypt config.
At the bottom of the add-on DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking page, you have many URL's you can use for testing.
I have seen the other servers in DNSCrypt config area, but I'm a little step before: the dns specified in
advanced : setup : internet setup
are not used, when I activated DNSCrypt? I have to leave that fields empty to avoid conflict or the opposite, I always have to fill them in case DNSCrypt failed?

When you enable DNSCrypt/Stubby/Adguard the parameter "no-resolv" is set in dnsmasq, so these fields are not used.

I think PIA changed the source of OpenVpn configuration files again. From what I can see old generation servers don't exist anymore and the new generation servers changed the source. I hope I'm not wrong.
Anyway PIA DNS sucks again, like sometime ago...
What kind of DNS do you advise to avoid PIA DNS problems?
Any way to create "selective" DNS for some device? For example, if you have an ATA connected to the router you need to have the ISP DNS to let it works but it doesn't care about country connection from VPN, just DNS.
Thanks for your help and your wonderful work, Kamoj and Voxel!

Thank you for heads up. o_O

You are right:cool:, PIA changed source of configuration files - again :eek:...
I'll probably release a new add-on this weekend for that fix.:)

From the add-on you can use DNSCrypt or Stubby or Adguard Home to use other DNS services.:D

For using different DNS for "some device"::p
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...rol-in-my-build-of-firmware.54815/post-463011

I think PIA changed the source of OpenVpn configuration files again. From what I can see old generation servers don't exist anymore and the new generation servers changed the source. I hope I'm not wrong.
Anyway PIA DNS sucks again, like sometime ago...
What kind of DNS do you advise to avoid PIA DNS problems?
Any way to create "selective" DNS for some device? For example, if you have an ATA connected to the router you need to have the ISP DNS to let it works but it doesn't care about country connection from VPN, just DNS.
Thanks for your help and your wonderful work, Kamoj and Voxel!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!