What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FAQ.txt updated:

Q: Why does "enabling DNSCrypt Proxy v2 drops upload speeds under 1 Mbps"? (@Infinitum)
A: See next FAQ Question:

Q: After installing the Kamoj add-on my router is crawling slow in Upload/Download speed. Why?
(Reported by: @Infinitum, @anddiiss)
A: It's probably a problem with interference with the Netgear QoS settings.
The issue has been there since after kamoj add-on v5.4b7.
There is some kind of bug where the QoS is activated with wrong (1 Mbps/1.25) Upload speed limit
(and Download).
This erroneous activation is done even if the QoS seems to be switched off in the Netgear GUI.
Kamoj is working on a solution, but until then, you do the following (no need to erase nvram etc.),
steps to fix this issue:
Un-check this (only if already checked):
ADVANCED: Kamoj Manu: Settings: Router Analytics / Data Collection / Phone Home:
Disable: QoS & Data Collection service (Streamboost/Trend Micro).
Go to router home (BASIC) page
Quality Of Service
Check "I want to define my Internet bandwidth"
Download Speed (Mbps): 1000.0
Upload Speed (Mbps): 1000.0
Apply
Dynamic QoS: Automatic traffic prioritization by application and device: Un-check
Apply
"Automatically update performance optimization database": Un-check
"Help improve the Quality of Service feature by sharing analytics with NETGEAR": Un-check
Apply

Last edited:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-beta-testing.67375/post-644991
Thank you for all the complex work, kamoj! Unfortunately, I'm immediately bringing a new/revised issue report. I plan to review logs, but wanted to report immediately in case there's a user error here.

Issue: enabling DNSCrypt Proxy v2 drops upload speeds under 1 Mbps, despite FiOS connection running at 200/200+. Turning DNSCrypt off via web interface does not restore upload speeds, issues persists through reboots, config changes, etc. Replicated 3x.

V1.0.2.80.5SF V5.4b11

Steps to duplicate, I personally replicated these 3 times tonight to confirm the issue:
1. NVRAM wipe via ssh (nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot)
2. Set admin password, SSID, wifi password, router function, reboot via GUI
3. Web speed test 266/163
4. Enable telnet via GUI, set ssh key via telnet (from USB drive), reboot
5. Copy and install kamoj add-on via ssh, reboot
6. Web speed test 280/128
7. Enable DNSCrypt Proxy v2 via GUI (second radio button under DNS Filter/Encryption), reboot
8. Web speed test 222/0.53

I believe this issue occurred under V5.4b10, as well. I blamed the Surfshark VPN configuration for the issue, but I almost always activate DNSCrypt and VPN in the same step. I have tried stopping DNSCrypt via ssh rather than the GUI (/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy-2 stop), but I have yet to find a way to bring upload speeds back up to normal, short of an NVRAM wipe.

For the purposes of these tests, my AP R7800, connected via moca, was offline from start to finish. I left the VPN off, and I also didn't load my own DNS blacklist.

Thank you for all the complex work, kamoj! Unfortunately, I'm immediately bringing a new/revised issue report. I plan to review logs, but wanted to report immediately in case there's a user error here.

Issue: enabling DNSCrypt Proxy v2 drops upload speeds under 1 Mbps, despite FiOS connection running at 200/200+. Turning DNSCrypt off via web interface does not restore upload speeds, issues persists through reboots, config changes, etc. Replicated 3x.

V1.0.2.80.5SF V5.4b11

Steps to duplicate, I personally replicated these 3 times tonight to confirm the issue:
1. NVRAM wipe via ssh (nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot)
7. Enable DNSCrypt Proxy v2 via GUI (second radio button under DNS Filter/Encryption), reboot

I believe this issue occurred under V5.4b10, as well. I blamed the Surfshark VPN configuration for the issue, but I almost always activate DNSCrypt and VPN in the same step. I have tried stopping DNSCrypt via ssh rather than the GUI (/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy-2 stop), but I have yet to find a way to bring upload speeds back up to normal, short of an NVRAM wipe.

For the purposes of these tests, my AP R7800, connected via moca, was offline from start to finish. I left the VPN off, and I also didn't load my own DNS blacklist.
Well, I certainly experience some strange issues with both of the latest beta updates. My upload speed drops tremendously to about 0.5 when in fact in reality it should stick around 500. Router GUI becomes more unresponsive and I get a drop out on connection to internet. Opening web pages is pain and running shell commands through putty is painfully slow.
Almost feels like when Kamoj just updated to 5.4, when QoS was interfering (apparently)?

I'm running default configuration, fresh install of latest Voxel FW. To resolve the issue I must set nvram default settings and do the mtd erase command. Weirdly it seems like I'm the only one experiencing this issue. It wasn't there with 5.4b7 since it was stable at that point and I waited a couple of revisions.

View attachment 28476View attachment 28477

View attachment 28478

V1.0.2.80.5SF V5.4b11

I experience the same issue and reported it (poorly) as post 46, but an intense month at work pulled me away from further testing. Any time I upgrade Voxel firmware or kamoj add-on versions, my upload speeds drop below 1Mbps. This has been the case since I moved from b7 to b10, and continued through b12.

At the time of my post, I thought activating DNSCrypt caused the issue, but based on Kamoj's advice I tested further and learned that my multiple reboots during setup were the actual problem. I can't upgrade Voxel fw or the kamoj add on without an nvram wipe, but I can set up all desired options so long as I perform the wipe and don't reboot after each step. Two days before vacation, so I plan to test this properly next week and report back.

Now my process is:
  • nvram wipe via ssh (nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot) immediately before kamoj upgrade or immediately following Voxel upgrade
  • standard set-up through GUI (admin password, SSID, wifi password, router function, enable smart connect, enable telnet)
  • set ssh key via telnet (from USB drive), reboot (optional)
  • copy and install kamoj add-on via ssh, reboot, no further reboots after this point
  • disable QoS EDIT: via standard GUI
  • disable Traffic Meter EDIT: via standard GUI
  • enable DNSCrypt Proxy v2 and custom blacklist via kamoj GUI
  • enable OpenVPN Client (Surfshark) via kamoj GUI
  • enable tunneling via NOVPN tags EDIT: via standard GUI

If I skip the nvram wipe, the rest of the process doesn't work and my upload speeds choke.

Need some help, I enabled Readycloud, but I cannot register my router it's commin up "Registration failed. Please check your user name and password and try again". I double checked my username and password and everything looks alright.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b15
--------------------------------------------------
- R7800: Wireguard updated to use latest version hosted by @Voxel.
- Fixed problem with router Upload(/Download) becoming extremely slow.
The speed got limited to 1/53 Mbps (Up/Down). (@Infinitum, @anddiiss)
- Removed some unused code
- ping_guard.sh updated to set WAN LED to Amber color when WAN is down.
- FAQ.txt updated

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b15
--------------------------------------------------
- R7800: Wireguard updated to use latest version hosted by @Voxel.
- Fixed problem with router Upload(/Download) becoming extremely slow.
The speed got limited to 1/53 Mbps (Up/Down). (@Infinitum, @anddiiss)
- Removed some unused code
- ping_guard.sh updated to set WAN LED to Amber color when WAN is down.
- FAQ.txt updated
Kamoj, your updates are always amazingly fast. Thank you!

FYI, when I display the Router Information page, System Version Information correctly shows that I have b15 installed but, then, at the end of the line, indicates (in red) "New Kamoj Release:5.4b14". Not a substantive problem, but not sure that is what you intended. I assume that this is something that you fix at a server level.

You can refresh the ADVANCED tab, or open a new tab, or logout and login again.
Thank you for the feed back and using the add-on! :)
Kamoj, your updates are always amazingly fast. Thank you!

FYI, when I display the Router Information page, System Version Information correctly shows that I have b15 installed but, then, at the end of the line, indicates (in red) "New Kamoj Release:5.4b14". Not a substantive problem, but not sure that is what you intended. I assume that this is something that you fix at a server level.

You can refresh the ADVANCED tab, or open a new tab, or logout and login again.
Thank you for the feed back and using the add-on! :)
I tried all 3 of the methods you proposed, but none works for me. I still have " New kamoj Release:5.4b14 " (but in red) as the last item in "System Version Information"

Thank you for the report!
I have many problems with cloudflare through the times. Nobody is perfect.

Most of the "Hidden Menu" links are Netgear pages that they have hidden from direct access.
Some are working, some are not...
It's on my todo-list to make this clear in some way.

For real "Fan Control Temperature" use the add-on "Hidden Menu": Netgear Debug Info.
Thank you for the information. Still running well...

Best wishes,
BL

My issues with plummeting upload/download speeds have been resolved as of latest beta version (5.4b15), thank you, Kamoj, for the great work!

I had a slightly different speed issue as previously reported on here with AdGuard slowing my router to a crawl after 12 ish days
I have not used any addon for approx 2 weeks and my issue has not reappeared
I put Pi-Hole docker on my NAS instead of using the router which has been working fine but would rather have Ad`Guard on router

I will give the latest update a go in a few days as this seems to have fixed others issues off speed

I will give the latest update a go in a few days as this seems to have fixed others issues off speed

Do you mean that you'll give the latest kamoj update a go?
Or that you'll give the latest (beta) AdGuard Home update a go?

Because potentially you were affected by this bug:

And it should be first fixed in v0.105.0-beta.2
(but updating to a beta version of AdGuardHome is currently only possible via commandline.)

@kamoj

Just FYI: There is a new release of DNSCrypt Proxy-2: 2.0.45

And there are changes in config. I am still waiting with it. As far as I understand it could break your add-on functionality...

Voxel.

Yes, this is a "new world" where we can not use names as black and white.
Orders from Linus himself to remove all black/white from Linux as well.

It will break not only some add-on functionality, but also break it for all those people making their
own backup and restore from USB...
Still DNSCrypt will probably work with the add-on, just not the editing functions.

Thank you for the heads up! :cool:
@kamoj

Just FYI: There is a new release of DNSCrypt Proxy-2: 2.0.45

And there are changes in config. I am still waiting with it. As far as I understand it could break your add-on functionality...

Voxel.

Yes, this is a "new world" where we can not use names as black and white.
Funnily. There is the chess game. Playing some times... So what now... Well, I stop here.

OK, I am waiting with DNSCrypt because of possible updates/issues after new release.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!