What's new

Kamoj Kamoj Add-on Beta testing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The log is the only way to understand. Also a screen shot of the Router Information page.
Hello,

I installed 5.4b16 on my R9000. Install went well and I rebooted. All settings and values carried over. However I noticed that running curl ifconfig.me showed my isp address instead of a router OpenVPN address. I stopped the VPN and restarted it but that did not fix the problem. Another reboot of the router took care of it. First time I've noticed this. Not sure if its an issue or if it was because of something else.

Kamoj, I think I have the VPN logs if you think its something to look at I can send them. In all other regards everything seems to be running great.

Best wishes,
BL

Reactions: KW.
The log is the only way to understand. Also a screen shot of the Router Information page.

Hello,

All is still running well for me on 5.b416. Yesterday I did get some very short losses of internet connectivity. However it happened on both networks so I believe it was caused by my poor internet service (not entirely unusual).

Regarding the ip address issue after install, attached is the log file and pic of the current Router Information. The only thing that may have been different on the Information page is that (as I recall) there was a Cloudflare ping error. I get those from time to time.

Best wishes,
BL

Attachments

• OVPN log 010921.txt
    19.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Router_info.jpg
    Router_info.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 98
Yes, sure you can!
Very interested to hear your results.
Also I "never" run the add-on in AP-mode, so I need user feedback.
You have not set the add-on to reboot at loss of internet?
I guess you used the add-on function to save logs to USB?

So also you better try without add-on at all!

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have rolled back both routers to the older firmware for now. I will run both systems without the add-on for now and observe if they run stable. Then test the add-on with one of the two systems and report back to you.

Good hint, but the function was not enabled.

I have copied the logs from the internal memory via terminal to an external storage device. For my next test, the logs will be saved directly to a USB drive. ;)

Thank you for the log!
I've analyzed it a bit and here are my comments:

The log is a snap in the middle, without clear start and stop.
And it is NOT from boot time of router, but 20 minutes after, so not very helpful.

Your ping-times are really long (1-6 seconds).

Appears to be 2 processes running at same time...: 11597 24706
I don't know how you do that, but maybe you pressed start/stop without waiting for command to finish?
(You can check the openvpn-client log to see if start/stop has finished running.)

Tip: Use "Start VPN with this" to restart/start new config instead of pressing stop/start.
Then you get a faster restart while also keeping the kill-switch ON.
(Kill-switch if switched off when you stop the OpenVPN client.)

About your .ovpn configuration:
  • You run tcp-mode (instead of udp), which is slower, and of other reasons not recommended.
    So if your firewall accept udp, you better try udp.
  • Remove: ncp-disable
  • Change: "data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM)" to "data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC)"
I confirm that cloudflare many times fail to reply to ping.
Hello,

All is still running well for me on 5.b416. Yesterday I did get some very short losses of internet connectivity. However it happened on both networks so I believe it was caused by my poor internet service (not entirely unusual).

Regarding the ip address issue after install, attached is the log file and pic of the current Router Information. The only thing that may have been different on the Information page is that (as I recall) there was a Cloudflare ping error. I get those from time to time.

Best wishes,
BL

Thank you, it's good you have the patience and willingness to help sorting out your issue.
I eagerly await your findings!
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have rolled back both routers to the older firmware for now. I will run both systems without the add-on for now and observe if they run stable. Then test the add-on with one of the two systems and report back to you.

Good hint, but the function was not enabled.

I have copied the logs from the internal memory via terminal to an external storage device. For my next test, the logs will be saved directly to a USB drive. ;)

Thank you for the log!
I've analyzed it a bit and here are my comments:

The log is a snap in the middle, without clear start and stop.
And it is NOT from boot time of router, but 20 minutes after, so not very helpful.

Your ping-times are really long (1-6 seconds).

Appears to be 2 processes running at same time...: 11597 24706
I don't know how you do that, but maybe you pressed start/stop without waiting for command to finish?
(You can check the openvpn-client log to see if start/stop has finished running.)

Tip: Use "Start VPN with this" to restart/start new config instead of pressing stop/start.
Then you get a faster restart while also keeping the kill-switch ON.
(Kill-switch if switched off when you stop the OpenVPN client.)

About your .ovpn configuration:
  • You run tcp-mode (instead of udp), which is slower, and of other reasons not recommended.
    So if your firewall accept udp, you better try udp.
  • Remove: ncp-disable
  • Change: "data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM)" to "data-ciphers (AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC)"
I confirm that cloudflare many times fail to reply to ping.
Thank you Kamoj. Sorry about the log not being for the correct time. For whatever reason that was all I could find. I have tried OpenVPN with both udp and tcp, and with my crummy connection it seems that tcp runs faster - surprises me because it doesn't seem to make sense. I did make the other changes you suggested and appreciate your giving me the suggestions even if they are not really related to the add-on!

I am not very consistent with how I start/stop the VPN and didn't realize there was a difference or possibility of problems. I will keep that one in mind as it is certainly possible that my actions caused the two instances to be running at the same time.

Thanks again,
BL

Hello, with r9000 there are some problems with version 16 so I removed it and everything works fine without add-on:
- power led: disabled even if active in settings. If I turn it off and then on from settings, it turns on but just for some minutes, then it turn it off (with the setting switched to on)
- connection led: random behaviors: sometime, without any reason, it turn off and there is any option to turn it on/off
- connection instability with Openvpn (very often, almost impossible to use) and dnsleak with Pia as I wrote before in a previous post but not considered. I contacted Pia support about Dns leak and they don't provide support for this situation, but they said it is strange and it is not from their side.
That's what I tested.
Stay safe.

Last edited:
Thank you for the report.

The power LED and Connection LED is working as intended. Sorry for bad release note! My fault.

Code:
- Fixed R9000 instability and ssh/telnet disconnects due to Netgear's
  bad handling of the fact the R9000 doesn't have any red/amber WAN LED.
This is since I learned that the R9000 does not have an amber/orange/red LED for WAN/Power.
So to indicate that e.g. the OpenVPN is down, the add-on for R7800 makes the WAN LED down, but for the R9000 switches off
both Power and WAN LEDs.
I also have some reports about that the R9000 gets "crazy" or staggering when trying to set the WAN LED to amber,
so there is a real specific reason behind this add-on behaviour.
So I guess it has to do with your PIA connection. You are not the first one with PIA issues.

OpenVPN connections are rather easy to deal with since the logging is very good.
To get what you call no "DNS leak" (I guess what you mean is that not all DNS requests go to PIA?),
the PIA server must push the correct DNS commands to the router. In your case it could be that
PIA is using an older version of OpenVPN, but Voxel uses 2.5.0?
I suggest you study more and understand what a "DNS leak" really is. There are many links in the add-on to help you.
I actually advice you to NOT rely on the PIA DNS servers, but instead use DNSCrypt or Stubby or AdGuard.
What is pushed from PIA server is very visible in the log, and also the reaction from the OpenVPN client in the router.

So, to sum it up:
To solve your problem with PIA you need to be helpful and share your log-file(s) unless you can decode it yourself,
and share your results with the community. This is actually a big part of what beta testing is about.

Again, thank you for sharing your experince.

Hello, with r9000 there are some problems with version 16 so I removed it and everything works fine without add-on:
- power led: disabled even if active in settings. If I turn it off and then on from settings, it turns on but just for some minutes, then it turn it off (with the setting switched to on)
- connection led: random behaviors: sometime, without any reason, it turn off and there is any option to turn it on/off
- connection instability with Openvpn (very often, almost impossible to use) and dnsleak with Pia as I wrote before in a previous post but not considered. I contacted Pia support about Dns leak and they don't provide support for this situation, but they said it is strange and it is not from their side.
That's what I tested.
Stay safe.

Last edited:
This is since I learned that the R9000 does not have an amber/orange/red LED for WAN/Power.
It is correct. Only white or OFF.

P.S. Maybe it is interesting, just for fun: R9000 also has antennas LEDs. Not controlled by ledcontrol.

1611130797236.png

But it is possible to turn them ON/OFF by the command:

ON:
Code:
echo "1" > /proc/simple_config/antenna_led

OFF:
Code:
echo "0" > /proc/simple_config/antenna_led

I keep all LEDs OFF except antennas LEDs: looks nice (night time).

Voxel.

To get what you call no "DNS leak" (I guess what you mean is that not all DNS requests go to PIA?),
the PIA server must push the correct DNS commands to the router.

one correction -> OVPN provider can push indeed their DNS-servers during connection. But on Linux this requires additional scripting to be done in the --up/--down scripts to actually update the resolv.conf file.

And currently this part is not implemented. So unless the VPN provider intercepts and redirects all DNS traffic, the DNS leak is expected.

(example of such a script https://github.com/alfredopalhares/openvpn-update-resolv-conf
If I have some time left, I'll have a look to see it this can be easily incorporated)

I will admit I have beer or two.... in my mind. But when you guys start to optimise my led lighting I cant spare the word and feeling. I love you.

Have fun!
Now you can play with the LEDs as well as the fan!
Can we get some sound from the router? Maybe different fan speed?
Hahaha, good we can have fun despite the covid situation!
Thank you for cheering me up yet again!
I will admit I have beer or two.... in my mind. But when you guys start to optimise my led lighting I cant spare the word and feeling. I love you.

@kamoj you are cheering up those who never even understand what you are doing. You are helping find ways to protect my children from what will be the greatest threats in the future. I will not get the gains nether do you. But you are helping lay the bricks for them. For that you should enjoy every hour.

Changes in kamoj-addon beta version 5.4b17
--------------------------------------------------
- OpenVPN Client: Handle missing "auth-user-pass" in the .ovpn file,
as it is not always needed. (e.g. Astrill) (@plusline)
- DNS Privacy/Ad-Blocking: Added links to GitHub for DNSCrypt and Stubby.
- Settings: DHCP Options: Removed redundant options (BASIC: Internet: DHCP Option)
Vendor Class Identifier String (Option 60)
Client Identifier String (Option 61)
- Settings: Open firewall WAN ports: Removed redundant options. (@R. Gerrits)
(ADVANCED: Advanced Setup: Port Forwarding / Port Triggering)
- Settings: Moved not enabled function to bottom of page: Route To Other Net
- Settings: Added section: "Set Programs & Services on / off"
- Settings: Reordered "Set functions on / off", and moved items to the new
"Set Programs & Services on / off"
- Minor fixes.

NOTA BENE: every one experience a problem with this release, try this patch:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-beta-testing.67375/post-655694

Last edited:
I've had 5.4b17 installed for a few hours today and I was having issues where the internet would keep disconnecting for a few seconds every so often (half hour or so).

I installed 17 and put 16 back on and everything works perfectly again.

The same happened over the weekend. Same issue with beta 17, and reverted back to 16.
Installed 17 again today and the same issues occurred.

Sorry I wasn't able to get any logs because I am working from home so had to get it fixed ASAP, so wasn't able to do any testing.

The set was;
- R7800
- Voxel 82SF
- Kamoj add 16, uninstalled then 17 installed.

Adguard home add-on the only thing setup at the time the issues were occurring, no other setting changed for stock default.

Internet drop out issues (not full router/WiFi/lan dropout, just internet connection).
Across ALL devices regardless of WiFi or LAN.

No issue with Internet connection when used direct, only via the router.

Uninstalled 17 using;
/bin/opkg remove -V1 --force-remove kamoj-addon

Reinstalled 16 and all running fine.

Sorry that's all I've got at the moment.

Using kamoj-addon 5.4b17 and I had similar issues with my internet, simply disconnecting.
I checked the logs and I found the following:

"Out of memory: Kill process 30390 (AdGuardHome) score 225 or sacrifice child
Killed process 30390 (AdGuardHome) total-vm:813024kB, anon-rss:110424kB, file-rss:12696kB"

and

"2021-01-26 19:22:48 [Warning] skb_warn_bad_offload!!!
2021-01-26 19:22:49 msm_nand_read_oob 0 800 0 failed -74, corrected 0
2021-01-26 19:22:50 msm_nand_read_oob c80000 800 0 failed -74, corrected 0
2021-01-26 19:22:51 Frequency Set to 800000000"

My linux knowledge is weak so if you need something specific log please let me know.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!