What's new

keep loosing dhcp table

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gregh

Regular Contributor
Here is my issue, I have a GT-AC5300 router running firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81656 (there is a newer firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81695 which I have tried but had to revert back within 2 weeks because of connectivity issues with the WIFI) ), have 2 RT-AC86U ASUS router running in a mesh config and I have about 88 devices connected to my network. Most are amazon devices and IP cameras etc. and I edit the devoice list and change the names to friendly names like TV, sally’s pc etc.) .So I have the first 50 address set in the DHCP tab as static and I use these for the most important devices on my network. I also reboot this router once a week using the internal scheduler. After a few weeks or months I will login to the router and find that the DHCP table is blank and all the connected devices no longer have their friendly names in the connected devices list but are back to the generic manufacturers name. I then have to go back into the devices connected list and change the generic manufacturer names back to the friendly names. Why does the router keep losing these friendly names and the DHCP table loose the static IP lists? And is there a way for me to save this list so when this happens again I can just reload the list? Recreating this list and also having to change the generic names back to the real name is a pain and takes allot of time to fix.

Here is my issue, I have a GT-AC5300 router running firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81656 (there is a newer firmware 3.0.0.4.384.81695 which I have tried but had to revert back within 2 weeks because of connectivity issues with the WIFI) ), have 2 RT-AC86U ASUS router running in a mesh config and I have about 88 devices connected to my network. Most are amazon devices and IP cameras etc. and I edit the devoice list and change the names to friendly names like TV, sally’s pc etc.) .So I have the first 50 address set in the DHCP tab as static and I use these for the most important devices on my network. I also reboot this router once a week using the internal scheduler. After a few weeks or months I will login to the router and find that the DHCP table is blank and all the connected devices no longer have their friendly names in the connected devices list but are back to the generic manufacturers name. I then have to go back into the devices connected list and change the generic manufacturer names back to the friendly names. Why does the router keep losing these friendly names and the DHCP table loose the static IP lists? And is there a way for me to save this list so when this happens again I can just reload the list? Recreating this list and also having to change the generic names back to the real name is a pain and takes allot of time to fix.

Did you webUI reset/restore w/initialize your router before configuring it from scratch? This might help the issue.

You can save and restore the router configuration, but this is best used for quick disaster recovery, not for cleanly installing and configuring the firmware.

The easiest approach is to not bother setting names and IP addresses, if your network will work just fine without doing this. Saves time and trouble and makes it easier to update the router when a reset to factory defaults is advisable.

OE

Things to try:

It isn't clear from your post but try using static IPs outside your DHCP range but in the same subnet if that isn't what you are currently doing.

It could be a storage issue keep the names as short as possible and avoid special characters, spaces, etc. If that doesn't help try reducing the number of static IPs to reduce storage requirements.

I agree that using static IPs is useful and my case the advantages far outweigh the PITA of having to reenter all the info if you need to to a factory reset. I have over seventy devices with static IPs.

Sounds like the router is running out of NVRAM with that many devices/names in use.

The NOVRAM variable that holds the static DHCP list has a max length of about 3500 characters. My guess is that your list of devices is exceeding the max number of characters in the NOVRAM variable.

There is a workaround that also makes things a ton easier when doing a clean install and still keep dedicated DHCP addresses, but it will mean upgrading to asuswrt-merlin firmware. If you are interested in that route, I can help you create a custom dnsmasq.conf script for all your devices.

Cheers

The NOVRAM variable that holds the static DHCP list has a max length of about 3500 characters. My guess is that your list of devices is exceeding the max number of characters in the NOVRAM variable.

There is a workaround that also makes things a ton easier when doing a clean install and still keep dedicated DHCP addresses, but it will mean upgrading to asuswrt-merlin firmware. If you are interested in that route, I can help you create a custom dnsmasq.conf script for all your devices.

Cheers
i cant run merlin I have a GT ac5300 router but it does sound like that the file is maxed out. now i can add or delete from this file, even a factory reset wont delete this file so i need a way to wipe this manually but have no idea how.

Sorry @Gregh for the late response. I did not see this until now.

I think I saw another post from you a few minutes ago which had your issue solved with the help of Colin. Is this so?

Cheers