What's new

Keep receiving ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED intermittenly on 1 x Machine (DNS fails to resolve)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gen10

Occasional Visitor
So I keep receiving ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED intermittenly when going to some websites on my desktop on different web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge). This happens wether I use an upstream DNS like Quad9 or my ISP's (I acutually switched ISP's recently and same issue). Eventually after about 10-15+ seconds it resolves itself, but you can imagine this becomes frustrating. Happens with all kinds of websites. When the issue is occouring it seems I can't reach anything which is why I believe its truly a DNS not resolving issue.

Did notice that my work laptop during the same time is able to surf just fine and never gets the error. Both devices have static IP's and go through diversion on my home network.

Seems to occour with Diversion enabled. Everytime I disable it I receive no intermittent DNS failures. I've confirmed this by doing a factory reset of the router and then installing only Diversion with Large Blocklist. Tried different USB drives aswell.

Ive cleared cache/cookies, cleared host cache and even reset Chrome to default settings same issue.
chrome://net-internals/#dns

I've ran the following on my desktop aswell to no avail
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

Ive also re-installed my LAN drivers

Nothing jumps out at me in the System log. I could install uiScribe or dig around the event logs on my PC (since it seems to be related to just this machine) but I just need a little guidance on what to look for.

AC86u with latest firmware and SB6183. Upgrading to AX86U and MB8611 in the next week so hoping I can figure this out before the new equipment arrives so I dont keep encountering the same issue. It truly seems to be something up with the machine.

Would appreciate any guidance. Googling around all seems to list the same stuff so hoping I can get some different direction here. Let me know if you need anything else. All of your help is greatly appreciated.

This is a common issue across multiple routers. The one thing I see in common is the use of some sort of DNS "service" like Diversion, Stubby, or DNSCrypt-proxy. That leads me to believe the problem is at the router somewhere - either dnsmasq or the firmware itself somehow.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!