What's new

Keeping traffic stats after a reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I thought that if I selected an attached flash drive as the place to store traffic stats, the stats would survive a reboot of the router, but they don't. Could the reason be that I have allocated a folder on the same flash drive that amtm stuff is installed? If the answer is yes, then I could purchase a another flash drive and specify that as the new location.

Which particular set of traffic stats are you talking about? How are you defining their location?

Traffic Stats (a few minutes after resetting).jpg
Traffic Stats Location.jpg

Check whether the file exists in that location. It will be called something like tomato_rstats_xxxxxxxxxxxx.gz.

Yes, I did check that before creating this thread and it does exist.
Traffic Stats File.jpg

Well given the timestamp it looks like rstats is running and updating the file. What size is the file?

It is running now, since I reset the data file earlier this evening, but if I reboot the router tomorrow, it will stop working again and I'll have to reset the data file again to start from scratch.
File Properties.jpg

When is stops working look in the log for messages related to rstats. Also check that the USB drive isn't full.

This is the current used/available space on the flash drive. I'll try another reboot and check the system log this afternoon, while my daughter is at university.
Flash Drive.jpg

I've just rebooted the router and searched for rstats as you suggested. There is one entry in the log at the moment, as follows:-

Oct 25 16:43:53 rstats[1281]: Problem loading /mnt/SCRIPTS/Traffic History/tomato_rstats_244bfe0a0f48.gz. Still trying...

I've just rebooted the router and searched for rstats as you suggested. There is one entry in the log at the moment, as follows:-

Oct 25 16:43:53 rstats[1281]: Problem loading /mnt/SCRIPTS/Traffic History/tomato_rstats_244bfe0a0f48.gz. Still trying...
That message is not that unusual as rstats runs before the USB drive is mounted. Once it's mounted that stats should be visible in the GUI. If they're not check again the file exists.

The only other thing I can think of is that there's something in the GUI that doesn't like the space in the pathname. In which case try renaming "Traffic History" to "Traffic_History".

The stats have not worked since I rebooted the router. The system log only goes back as far as 18:39, but there one entry in the log similar to the one above, viz:

Oct 25 18:41:42 rstats[1281]: Problem loading /mnt/SCRIPTS/Traffic History/tomato_rstats_244bfe0a0f48.gz. Still trying...

I don't think so. I don't even know what that is.

I don't think so. I don't even know what that is.
I'll take that as a "no" then. Scribe is an addon script that replaces the router's syslog management.

Check the timestamp on /mnt/SCRIPTS/Traffic History/tomato_rstats_244bfe0a0f48.gz. See whether it's been updated since you rebooted.

I'll take that as a "no" then. Scribe is an addon script that replaces the router's syslog management.

Check the timestamp on /mnt/SCRIPTS/Traffic History/tomato_rstats_244bfe0a0f48.gz. See whether it's been updated since you rebooted.
No it hasn't. It still says 16:25.