What's new

kernel: jffs2: warning: (xxxx) jffs2_sum_write_data: Not enough space for summary

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itchyscratchy

Occasional Visitor
I have done an exhaustive search on google and your asus forum posts for an explanation of this syslog entry (forgive me if I accidentally overlooked my answers).
jffs2 warning small.png

There where quite a few posts about this in merlin's subforum and the RT-GT5300 thread, yet I feel I've either missed the answer that was explained at some point, or something is wrong. I've even searched some Chinese threads about this, just to try and figure it out.

Is there something wrong with my hardware, or have I goofed up with firmware updates, factory resets, initializing, and/or my settings? Or is this a normal occurrence/function?

I have read some of the code on merlin's firmware about such incidents as a possible occurrence and non-fatal, yet I wonder the significance as they are labeled "warning." I'm on ASUS firmware at the moment, and had these warnings on this firmwarre and merlin's as well. Just concerned I did something wrong. Thanks in advance for your insight on this query, everyone.

Thank you very much! I saw the first link in a prior search (added a bit to my confusion), but I overlooked that linux link. So it is just an EBS thats too big due to the quantity of Eraseblocks and their cumulative "summary," and the router's jffs2 partition and/or Flash capacity?

Benign in nature, so I am ok with this situation. Though I am curious if I can increase the partition size of the file system if the router's Flash isn't at capacity... or will that decrease performance due to a smaller amount of Flash?

Last edited:
I don't know/understand the inner workings of flash memory. I'm only going by what those two links said and the fact that the message is a "warning" not an error. I looked at the source code for that message and doesn't seem to be an issue AFAICT. It even says it's "non-fatal".
Code:
    /* Is there enough space for summary? */
    if (padsize < 0) {
        /* don't try to write out summary for this jeb */
        jffs2_sum_disable_collecting(c->summary);

JFFS2_WARNING("Not enough space for summary, padsize = %d\n",
                  padsize);
        /* Non-fatal */
        return 0;
    }

I don't follow your question "increase the partition size of the file system". AFAIK all the flash memory has been allocated for various functions and repartitioning it risks not only bricking the router immediately but at a later date if a firmware updates relies on a particular layout.

I don't know/understand the inner workings of flash memory. I'm only going by what those two links said and the fact that the message is a "warning" not an error. I looked at the source code for that message and doesn't seem to be an issue AFAICT. It even says it's "non-fatal".
Code:
    /* Is there enough space for summary? */
    if (padsize < 0) {
        /* don't try to write out summary for this jeb */
        jffs2_sum_disable_collecting(c->summary);

JFFS2_WARNING("Not enough space for summary, padsize = %d\n",
                  padsize);
        /* Non-fatal */
        return 0;
    }

I don't follow your question "increase the partition size of the file system". AFAIK all the flash memory has been allocated for various functions and repartitioning it risks not only bricking the router immediately but at a later date if a firmware updates relies on a particular layout.

You are quite right about what I was curious about. Not worth bricking a router now or later. :)

That’s the code I also saw on github. Someone pointed that out in another 86u thread with a link right to it. I’m awfully sorry for the bother. I was in the mindset that I did something wrong or worse to bring the warnings up, especially if said warnings meant any sort of performance/functionality penalty.

So it is what it is! Many thanks (and apologies) for your patience, insight, and a cool read about jffs2. Hope this helps others as well.

I would agree - leave the factory partitions alone - if the vendor needs to resize, they will do so...