What's new

Killer WRT/AP i.e. the "top dog" IYO?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jalyst

Which -IYO- is that one nowadays?
In somewhat of a rush, normally I'd spend lots of time meticulously comparing/contrasting, but lately my time's too limited, sadly.

It's Wifi Access-Point: abilities/performance/range/reliability+stability are probably the most important.
It's gw/routing/fw etc. abilities are still important, but secondary, I'll be deploying a dedicated device+sw for that.

Tis for a SOHO set-up, but not your typical one, already have a sophisticated NAS & HEPC/PVR set-up, & in the midst of finishing-off eth/moca/powerline infra etc.

Budget is fairly loose, should have enough for 1-3 wifi clients too*, not just the AP/WRT...

Thank-you.
*although sadly can't do much about several devices we must keep (for now) that use older standards, other than put them on a diff. band I guess!

Last edited:
Something from Ruckus or Ubiquiti?
Maybe the Asus RT-AC68P or RT-AC87U?

This forum's parent site should be able your questions though. :)

Yes, I've already had a close look at the site, & no doubt I'll have several more close looks in the coming days.
But, it's still nice to get insights from others, revealing how they came to choosing the best device for their needs.

Of the devices you list, if forced to chose, which one would you pick, & why?
If possible, please be as detailed as time permits, & please keep in mind the things I've listed as important to me.

Thank-you.

Assuming your budget and skills are up to par and you just want things to be rock-solid with no BS, then Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus or Aerohive. Really no debate there.

If enterprise prices don't thrill you (and I wouldn't blame you) then a tier down would perhaps be Ubiquiti, certain EnGenius models, certain D-Link DAPs and/or select other "SMB" positioned gear. I've personally had success in this space, mostly with EnGenius models out on the market for at least a few firmware updates' worth of time; the ECB-350 being the workhorse of the bunch for me.

Else, most SNB'ers would point you to an all-in-one consumer class router, which has its benefits. If going that route, I'd stay one or two steps behind bleeding edge, with a model boasting at least several rounds of stabilized OEM and/or third-party firmware updates and enough reviews to prove it. Bleeding edge in this space isn't worth the opportunity cost IMHO; I'd rather invest the 2 or 300 into a purpose-built AP which is actually designed for its role and works accordingly, out of the box. Your mileage may vary, though. :)

For multi-wan routing, again, if you've got the capital, I'd invest in a dedicated wired solution like a Peplink Balance One, or even perhaps delve into the integrated security appliances (Zyxel, Cyberoam, etc.). Maybe CradlePoint, but they've recently changed their license model to require a subscription for firmware updates, so just be aware of that. Cheaper options might be Linksys LRT or Cisco RV, but many reviews elude to lacking firmware - so you might have to go through a model or two to find one that works the way you'd like.

To your point on a specific choice, I suppose if price were no issue, perhaps Cisco Meraki for a centrally-managed setup. Otherwise, probably UniFi. For standalone and non-enterprise, probably EnGenius.

Last edited:
Else, most SNB'ers would point you to an all-in-one consumer class router, which has its benefits. If going that route, I'd stay one or two steps behind bleeding edge, with a model boasting at least several rounds of stabilized OEM and/or third-party firmware updates and enough reviews to prove it. Bleeding edge in this space isn't worth the opportunity cost IMHO; I'd rather invest the 2 or 300 into a purpose-built AP which is actually designed for its role and works accordingly, out of the box. Your mileage may vary, though. :)

On the AP side of things, this is what I'm wanting suggestions on, so yes, if folks can talk about these devices, which they prefer, & why, that's what I'm most interested in. I'm fine with bleeding edge, I'm well aware of all the issues it can/does entail.

I'll address some of your other points later, thanks for trying, alas it seems like much of what you suggest (esp. on the Wifi/AP side) isn't what I'm into for budgetary or other reasons.

Cheers!

Xirrus XR-6000
I use them for installs needing 100-1000 clients in the same area.
If that's too expensive, try the meraki MR34.

Otherwise we need you to be a bit more specific.

Nah, as said, they're not the type of devices I'm interested in, I've been clear already, & quite specific.
Thanks for trying, but I'd prefer to hear from folks that use a diff. class of device.

Cheers.

Understood. Just FYI - with "abilities/performance/range/reliability+stability" all underlined, it would imply all of those qualities are of paramount importance; perhaps that's why so many recommendations for enterprise class gear came about... yet, you say you're comfortable the consumer stuff, so I take it you just want to find the best of those options? If so, for a simple routing config I'd flash AdvancedTomato on an Asus RT-N66U or AC66U. Or for a bit more horsepower, perhaps Merlin on an AC68U (or AC68P). :)

Nah, as said, they're not the type of devices I'm interested in, I've been clear already, & quite specific.
Thanks for trying, but I'd prefer to hear from folks that use a diff. class of device.

Cheers.
Lol I was being snarky and sarcastic, guess that didn't come through.
Anyways.
There are a few things that define an access point.
They are;
Performance (not to be confused with range),
Stability (including decent support and updates),
Features (knobs levers dials and buttons oh my),
Price (talking about inexpensive but not corner cutting cheap).
You can get at the most 3 out of the 4. No device exists that has all 4. Realistically you have to understand that there's no real way for a manufacturer to give you all 4 and stay in business.

Now do you need a router?
How many wired clients are you supporting?
How large of a property do you need to cover and does it make sense to install multiple access points?

If you just want a wireless router that throws in the kitchen sink in consumer space in terms of WiFi, you are looking at the AC3200 class devices.
Right now the best one is by a very small margins the netgear R8000.

Now do you need a router?
How many wired clients are you supporting?
How large of a property do you need to cover and does it make sense to install multiple access points?
If you just want a wireless router that throws in the kitchen sink in consumer space in terms of WiFi, you are looking at the AC3200 class devices.
Right now the best one is by a very small margins the netgear R8000.

Damn this forum's weird compared to the old one, I'm always missing new posts in my threads.(1)
No I don't need a router, I'm currently mid-way through researching a sep. build/device for that.
Wired not that relevant, sep. device/build focusing on that area...

I don't know the total sqm of both floors, it's certainly larger than your avg. Australian household.(2)
I guess I can easily find that out at some point...

No I won't install multiple AP's, just the one, and then see how that goes 1st.
I'll be simultaneously installing some Ethernet runs & HomePlug/MoCa adapters.
I don't envisage needing another AP just yet for upstairs...
We've had crap AP's over the years & (mostly) "gotten by", 1 decent one should be fine in the short-term.

See my earlier posts for an indication of what sort of AP I want.
Propagation won't be as much of an issue as some households.
Style of houses we have here are all wooden, & lightly built...
Though that also lets in more noise from surrounding households.

If so, for a simple routing config I'd flash AdvancedTomato on an Asus RT-N66U or AC66U. Or for a bit more horsepower, perhaps Merlin on an AC68U (or AC68P). :)

N.B.
I'm not too interested in these devices as AIO's, I'll rarely use most of their other features.
I'm mainly interested in which is the absolute best when it comes to the AP side of things.
Occasional instability not too much of an issue, so long as it satisfies all of my other criteria.
If that means dealing with all of the woes that come with the bleeding edge, so be it.

I'll be having much close look at all the charts soon, just knocking over my gw/router build 1st.

(1) No offence meant Tim, I think I've got it sorted now -I hope!
(2) Which makes it large by world standards...

Last edited:
Okay turning back to this discussion, now that I've knocked-over some others sub-sections of my project. Trip, Cloud200, or anyone else if you've more suggestions based on what I've said above & in subsequent posts, it'd be much appreciated. I'll be having a much closer look at all of the charts & reviews for WRT/AP's over the next day or so, same for Wifi clients/adapters.

Hmm, from what I can tell from the wireless charts, this is the best "AP-only" device:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...32667-edimax-wap1750-cap1200-pro-aps-reviewed
These 2 surpass it in various areas, but overall the former seems to win most battles:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...ro-ac1750-pro-dual-band-access-point-reviewed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32153-ubiquiti-uap-ac-access-point-reviewed

Still not sure I want it though, will now have a closer look at the wireless router charts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!