What's new

L2TP Preshared Key

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sudmanche

New Around Here
Hi, is it possible to enter a preshared key when setting up L2TP VPN client, I cannot see an option to do so?

thanks.

so no then.

is it possible to create a l2tp connection via a script, allowing the preshared key to be set?

so I have found there are some nvram settings for vpnconnections, such as can be found like this.
nvram get vpnc_proto
which returns the currently connected vpn protocol,
is there a setting that can be applied to set the pre shared key using nvram set?
I really have spent some time looking into this, but I am no wrt or linux expert, so am struggling.

so I have found there are some nvram settings for vpnconnections, such as can be found like this.
nvram get vpnc_proto
which returns the currently connected vpn protocol,
is there a setting that can be applied to set the pre shared key using nvram set?
I really have spent some time looking into this, but I am no wrt or linux expert, so am struggling.

I know this is fairly old and you may not see it, but I've been wondering the same thing. Truth is, I can connect to a VPN provider via L2TP without inputting the PSK (shared secret). I keep wondering if I'm really secure without it.

I just tested the nvram request you mentioned above and "l2tp" was returned to me as the answer. So, I don't know how it works but it seems to.

I would like to up this topic.
I know, old topic from 2013. But still on ASUSWRT MERLIN can't specify a preshared key which prevent me to connect to te L2TP server and have to use PPTP =/
Any update regarding this?

I would like to up this topic.
I know, old topic from 2013. But still on ASUSWRT MERLIN can't specify a preshared key which prevent me to connect to te L2TP server and have to use PPTP =/
Any update regarding this?
This technology is vulnerable to a hack, you would be well served moving to OVPN.

This technology is vulnerable to a hack, you would be well served moving to OVPN.
Hello Skeal and thanks for your answer. I didn't know that L2TP was so vulnerable. Is IKEv2 better? Because I use this on my phone but can't use it within ASUSWRT-merlin.
Regarding OVPN, I try to setup it on my router but it didn't work. I will contact my VPN support to get more information about OVPN but not sure that it will works as I am in china.