What's new

Solved Can you connect to Wireguard server from wan side?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopus

Part of the Furniture
I have to ask if you can connect to the wireguard server from the outside, wan side?
I have set up server with different port and preshared key.
Can connect within lan but not from wan side, anyone tried?
3004_388.6_beta1

EDIT:
Have tested with vpn server2 and same behavior there, can connect inside lan, not from wan side.

EDIT2: I think I found it, missing shebang "#!/bin/sh" in file "/etc/openvpn/server2/fw.sh" but it seems that it will be written anyway.

@RMerlin
Can you possible test this? want to know if it something with latest gpl mergeing or if I have done some weird thing here.
thank you!

Code:
Chain WGSF (1 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 ACCEPT all -- * wgs1 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
7 420 ACCEPT all -- wgs1 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0

Chain WGSI (1 references)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
0 0 ACCEPT udp -- * * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 udp dpt:12345
3 248 ACCEPT all -- wgs1 * 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0

Last edited:
This is what VPN Server is for - access from WAN. There is no point of it on your LAN.

This is what VPN Server is for - access from WAN. There is no point of it on your LAN.
The question was if you can connect from the Wan side.
Knowing that connecting to the LAN is of no use.
But to test if the configuration works, it is useful
I can't get it to connect from the WAN side hence the question.

I have to ask if you can connect to the wireguard server from the outside, wan side?
Connecting to the router GUI (using 3004.388.5) from Wireguard client side works for me using the default Wireguard Server settings and enabling Access Intranet. Access my other LAN clients remotely this way without issue.
Example (red highlight shows Wireguard connected on mobile device with cellular data connection/no Wifi enabled):
Wireguard_Client1.jpg

Connecting to the router GUI (using 3004.388.5) from Wireguard client side works for me using the default Wireguard Server settings and enabling Access Intranet. Access my other LAN clients remotely this way without issue.
Example (red highlight shows Wireguard connected on mobile device with cellular data connection/no Wifi enabled):
Thanks for your reply.
The question was about 3004_388.6_beta1.
Worked for me also with 3004_388.5 but after updating to beta1 I can't connect from wan to wireguard server or vpnserver.

The question was about 3004_388.6_beta1.
You may want to reword your OP post and title to clarify that you are asking about the beta as it was clear people didn't get that from your post based on the earlier responses.

And there doesn't seem to be any issues with 3004.388.6_beta1 either using stock WireGuard settings. WireGuard client can access router GUI and was able to access another main LAN client.
WireGuard_Client_BetaFirmware.jpg

VPN Status.jpg

Last edited:
And there doesn't seem to be any issues with 3004.388.6_beta1 either using stock WireGuard settings. WireGuard client can access router GUI and was able to access another main LAN client.
I had changed both port and to preshared key, but haven't tried to change back yet.

Seems that ftp server doesn't not respond either from wan or lan side.
Must be some problem with latest GPL merge.
Or I have my thumb in the middle of my hand.

Seems that ftp server doesn't not respond either from wan or lan side.
Must be some problem with latest GPL merge.
Or I have my thumb in the middle of my hand.
Or the problem is your router. Maybe time to do a hard factory reset and manual configuration (no imported router.cfg file) and test without setting up AiMesh.
Absolutly no issues using FTP here, both LAN and WAN on 3004.388.6_beta1 with a RT-AX86U Pro.
Router FTP settings:
RT-AX86U Pro_FTP_Share.jpg

PC FTP (using FileZilla) via LAN:
FTP_local_pc.jpg

Android Smartphone FTP (File Manager+) via LAN:
FTP_local_android.jpg

Android Smartphone FTP (File Manager+) via WAN (WiFi disabled):
FTP_wan_android.jpg

Or the problem is your router. Maybe time to do a hard factory reset and manual configuration (no imported router.cfg file) and test without setting up AiMesh.
Absolutly no issues using FTP here, both LAN and WAN on 3004.388.6_beta1 with a RT-AX86U Pro.
Router FTP settings:

PC FTP (using FileZilla) via LAN:

Android Smartphone FTP (File Manager+) via LAN:

Android Smartphone FTP (File Manager+) via WAN (WiFi disabled):
Thank you to confirming.... maby time to bite the bullet and configure.
A couple of hours work........:)

A couple of hours work........:)
It is not a couple of hours work to do a hard factory reset and initial basic configuration to test the basic stock configuration of WireGuard server; and if needed FTP server. 15 to 20 minutes more likely. If confirmed working after initial basic configuration without AiMesh and all the other changes THEN you can spend how ever long you need adding AiMesh and any other setting changes, scripts, etc. that you previously were using.

Some folks say 15min and recommend resets needed or not. What's your problem? 🤔
The problem is that I cannot connect either to the vpn server, wireguard server or ftp from the wan side.
It works perfectly from the lan side.
The strange thing is that it seems other users have it working.
Has an extremely large number of scripts and special configurations that take a long time to recreate.

Some folks say 15min and recommend resets needed or not. What's your problem? 🤔
It is not a couple of hours work to do a hard factory reset and initial basic configuration to test the basic stock configuration of WireGuard server; and if needed FTP server. 15 to 20 minutes more likely. If confirmed working after initial basic configuration without AiMesh and all the other changes THEN you can spend how ever long you need adding AiMesh and any other setting changes, scripts, etc. that you previously were using.
Yes, you were right. Reconfigured and now openvpn, wireguard and ftp server work again.
As usual hard but necessary.Still have some to configure but most of it is done.

Yes, you were right. Reconfigured and now openvpn, wireguard and ftp server work again.
As usual hard but necessary.Still have some to configure but most of it is done.
Everything seemed to work and then I added the Aimesh node and then it stopped working again.
So I had to redo everything again, but now I have taken a working backup (.CFG) and (/jffs)

You may have found a bug in the new GPL base.

Test with 388.5 as well and see what happens there.

You may have found a bug in the new GPL base.

Test with 388.5 as well and see what happens there.
No, I don't have time for that, it's taken way too long already.
I'm not using aimesh right now and can wait.
If there is a bug in the GPL release, Asus will probably find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!