What's new

LAGs: Asus RT-AC88U and Netgear Prosafe Plus Managed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

endtimes

Occasional Visitor
Hello all!

So I'm looking to configure a LAG between the Asus RT-AC88U router and the Netgear Prosafe switch. My SAN (when I get it), I plan on connecting to the switch as I am still running Ethernet throughout my house. Both the Asus and Netgear have LAG capability.

What I'd like to know is if this setup is possible and still beneficial because I'm aware that the more typical scenario is configuring the LAG directly to the NAS.

Thank you to everyone!

it would work but it depends on your netgear switch if it supports the type of LAG used or not. I am planning to try this soon as well but with a fully managed switch instead.

I know the switch supports LAGs but not beyond that...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LAG'ing two ports doesn't mean 2x the speed - interesting idea, but in my experience, LAG doesn't offer that much benefit for the complexity needed to set it up.

BTW - lot's of ProSafe models, so need to be a wee bit more specific here - e.g. Netgear ProSafe GS-108E is more descriptive than ProSafe switch...

Give it a try - the long pole in the tent is the AC88U, and how the ports there are defined - the switch should be capable of it...

LAG'ing can add some latency due to overhead and processing, and again, it's not going to double the bandwidth - it might be 1.75x on that link, depends on both ends... but given the nature of packet switched networks, you'll likely not notice any improvement..

Give it a try - the long pole in the tent is the AC88U, and how the ports there are defined - the switch should be capable of it...

LAG'ing can add some latency due to overhead and processing, and again, it's not going to double the bandwidth - it might be 1.75x on that link, depends on both ends... but given the nature of packet switched networks, you'll likely not notice any improvement..

LAG doesnt necessarily add latency, it depends on how it is combined and what method is used. when 2 switches are using LAG connected to each other they can make use of it because ethernet uses frames or packets so the only limitation is that the same frame cannot go over both links at the same time but 2 frames can use 2 links at the same time. An ethernet frame is merely a packet in ethernet format.

For two or more clients/devices that are both directly wired (or enjoying a 3x 3:3 WiFi connection at very close range) and are capable of each moving over 110MB/s between themselves and the NAS, a LAG connection may be useful.

In almost every other scenario, just more work to setup and maintain for no benefit to a single client/device.

If that was the only reason you bought the switch today (for the LAG option), I would return it and look for the 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps models that will be out soon, or better yet an 10GbE switch if you have the money to spend today. ;)

It's a decent enough switch in any event - and there's useful features inside besides LAG - some granularity with QoS and VLAN's are the two that come to mind - and this can help with AV scenarios, and prosafe's do a decent job there, better than many consumer routers/AP's...

(disclosure - I also have a managed ProSafe - it's an older GS-108T, but it's been a good soldier, and I like the SNMP stack that it comes with - I use SNMP quite a bit for network monitoring, but my home network is way, way overbuilt, but comes with the territory, I used to do carrier grade networking)

sfx2000, agreed.

But that is why I said 'only' reason. :)