What's new

LAN-LAN Home Network w/ guest network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AdamSF

New Around Here
Hello,
Looking for some help with a problem that has been vexing me. Hopefully I came to the right place.

I live in a 3 story house, the cable modem is in the 3rd story and there is an in-law unit that we occasionally airbnb. Ideally I would have a single wireless network covering the entire house with a guest network turned on for at least the space covering the in-law.

I bought a Asus RT-AC5300 Wireless hoping the wireless stength would be strong enough to cover the entire building, unfortunately it's not.

I already had a pair of Netgear R6300 routers.

My current set up is the one of the netgear R6300 is set up as my primary router hooked to the cable modem on the 3rd floor. It is connect by a LAN to LAN connection through walled ethernet to my Asus RT-AC5300. The Netgear is 192.168.1.1 and is the DHCP server. The Asus is 192.1681.1.2 and has the server disabled. Because the asus is closer to the in-law it would need to be the access point for the guest network, however when I turn on the guest network it doesn't get internet. If I enable intranet access it does, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a guest network.

The strange thing is I could have sworn when I first turned it on that it was working the way I had hoped.

My question is there a way with my current hardware to solve my issue of having a single fast wireless network covering my home and an isolated fast guest network covering my in-law.

One more note, I do have ethernet that goes to the inlaw so in theory I could set up the 2nd netgear router down there.

Look forward to advice. I'm more or less a smart guy, but not a techie, so be gentle with your answers...

Thanks,
Adam

The Asus is 192.1681.1.2 and has the server disabled. Because the asus is closer to the in-law it would need to be the access point for the guest network,

not sure why you are doing it lan to lan as the asus has a specific ap mode in its gui

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!