What's new

LAN setup and online access to NAS.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barny

New Around Here
Hi
I am a novice, I want to find the best way to organise our LAN and I would also like to have remote access to a NAS. We have telephone and net (@ max 5.5Mbps download) connected through a Vodafone Easybox 803, we also have a Netgear R6250, 3 computers (2 x Ubuntu Mate and 1 windows) and a qnap TS-251+.
Router user guides:
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6250/R6250_UM_15April13.pdf
http://media.vodafone.de/www/assets...services/dsl-easybox803-arcadyan-20100412.pdf

I currently have the NAS connecting with a static IP via Ethernet to the Easybox which also has Ethernet connections to two of the computers (windows and 1x Mate) and the Netgear router. The third computer connects via Easybox WIFI. At the moment the Netgear is only connecting to a TV via ac WIFI. This setup works well but I am wondering if it could be improved.

Also, I would like to set up remote access for the NAS.
I know I can use a qnap app/server to achieve this (I haven’t tried it) but because I have not done anything like this before I would like to explore the process of creating my own setup-connection.
I am not sure about the potential-limits of the Easybox setup (its instructions are in German). The Netgear router appears versatile; it can run with an installed VPN and if needed, can also be flashed with DD-WRT... but what setup is best?

I have been doing some research, however in an uncharacteristic display of caution, where router setup is required, I don’t think my usual learning process of “give it a go, what can possibly go wrong” is the best approach... o_O
This is why I have posted here, although at this stage I don’t have specific questions I would appreciate some general (and/or specific) advice.

Thanks

Use the QNAP apps designed for remote access. If there is an option that does not require opening router ports, use it. Any open port will be instantly detected and make you a constant target for remote access attempts.

No matter what you use, use a VERY STRONG password and share only what you need to share, not the entire NAS. If you are not sure how to do any of this, DON'T enable remote access.

Just to reinforce the need for security here: last year, a security issue allowed a number of QNAP NASes to be remotely compromised (generally installing bitcoin miners on them, among other things). I've had a few of my own customers hit by this.

Ideally, setup a VPN for remote access. QNAP offers a VPN server feature for this, which works fairly well - I had a lawyer remotely working outside of his office using an OpenVPN tunnel on his QNAP.

The QNAP CPU will be better suited than the router for running the VPN server (provided it's a model with at least a Celeron, or a fairly recent Atom).

Thanks for the advice...
Our qnap has an Intel Quad Core, 2.0GHz Celeron and 4GB ram, from what I have seen the qnap remote access-VPN options look reasonably straight forward.

R.e. my current setup;
I have the NAS connecting with a static IP via Ethernet to the Easybox which also has ethernet connections to two of the computers and the Netgear router. The third computer connects via Easybox WIFI. At the moment the Netgear is only connecting to a TV via ac WIFI.

I am wondering if this is a good/optimum setup Would it be better to spread the load between the routers by having all of the devices connecting to the Netgear and leave the easybox to run the phone-net connection?
Thanks.