What's new

LAN-WAN setup with two routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AveAdvenae

New Around Here
1. Main router is an EdgeRouter X

WAN: ..ip from ISP
LAN: 192.168.1.1

2. WAN port of RT-AC2900 running Asuswrt-Merlin is connected to EdgeRouter. Both wireless channels enabled. WAN and NAT enabled, DHCP disabled.

WAN: nothing
LAN: 192.168.100.1

Only wireless clients connecting to RT-AC2900 have internet access.

I have tried to add a static route, but no success.

Yes, if I create a LAN-LAN, making a dumb AP of the RT-AC2900, everything works, but I want daemons running on the Asus with internet access, e.g. OpenVPN.

> brctl show
bridge name.....bridge id.........................STP enabled.....interfaces
br0...................8000.b06ebf65b4c8.......yes ...................eth1
......................................................................................eth2
......................................................................................eth3
......................................................................................eth4
......................................................................................eth5
......................................................................................eth6
br0 has the inet address 192.168.100.1 but eth0 is empty.

Why is the RT-AC2900 in bridge mode? Only the DHCP is disabled, running it in wireless router mode. Reboot didn't help. (EdgeRouter has DHCP enabled).

Last edited:
Ok, got it working now, but had to restore the RT-AC2900.

After the restore I disabled DHCP and changed LAN IP to 192.168.100.1. After receiving a WAN address from the upstream EdgeRouter I added the following static route:

Network/Host IP Netmask..........Gateway.....Interface
192.168.100.1....255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 LAN

and it seems to work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!