What's new

Lightning storm took out primary XT8 of 3 node network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RobJack

Regular Contributor
Hey folks, a bit new here, so looking for some advice. I had 3 ASUS XT8s serving a 5000 sq ft home. Lightning took out the primary last night, so I've factory reset the remaining two and created a new mesh with them, albeit with poorer quality coverage. I'm looking to replace the fried unit, and of course the easy route is to purchase another XT8. I'm wondering if my network might be better served by replacing the fried unit with a higher end ASUS router and making it the primary with the remaining two XT8s as access points (wireless backhaul; my existing infrastructure is not conducive to a wired backhaul).

I currently have approximately 50 devices on the network, mostly IoT devices, but with two 4k TVs (that do simultaneously stream on occasion), four laptops (two in use most of the time), 6 Blink outdoor security cameras, and five Simplisafe indoor cameras I have 1 gig down and 50 mbs up from my ISP.

Should I go with another router instead of the XT8 as my primary? Thanks in advance for the advice!

I had this happen with an AC56, I couldn't even unplug the A/C adapter from the unit! They smell really bad when this happens.

Sorry, no mesh advice from me, a small house with single router only here.

I had this happen with an AC56, I couldn't even unplug the A/C adapter from the unit! They smell really bad when this happens.

Sorry, no mesh advice from me, a small house with single router only here.
In my case, it came through the Coax cable, then over ethernet to the router, taking out both cable modem and router. My bad for not running the coax through an arrestor. Both units were on an APC UPS, so the power connections were unaffected.

There should be a grounding/earthing barrel connection at the point of entrance for the coax. i believe current NEC code is that this is attached to the house electrical earthing directly rather than as a separate earthing. Unless it was a direct strike to your house or the pole, many times it is an elevation of ground potential and current flow that gets the devices rather than current flow through the primaries.

Did you check the condition of the MOVs in the UPS ?
It might need replacing or at least consider installation of whole house lightning suppression at the house electric service panel.
After 3 strikes within 100 ft of my house over ten years, i had a whole house suppression block installed and haven't had a strike close by since ;-). Also replaced my plug bars with MOVs (ahead of UPS devices) after one of the strikes.

There should be a grounding/earthing barrel connection at the point of entrance for the coax.
Yeah, we called the cable company to look into this as it was obviously a grounding issue. They determined that the last time a new cable was run (last summer a landscaper cut the old one while putting in a French drain), the installer didn't bond the cable properly. They fixed it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!