What's new

ZEN Wi-Fi XT8 Mesh is overwhelmed...Looking for advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4 AC level APs... into a CiscoRV325 router... the ISP ONT+Router double NAT.

This is almost exact description of one of my home setups in Europe. Working there for years and doing uptime limited by power outages only.

You perhaps understand I'm not trying to offend you. I'm straight and honest, used to build networks in the past. I don't want to waste your time and money. The process starts from a visit and requirements assessment. There is a unique approach in every project. Forum members here have some bits and pieces only - not enough to solve your puzzle. You already followed someone else's advice and got here. XT8 is overpriced underpowered system with lots of complaints. You got 3x units despite all the information available. Don't do this mistake again with any of the equipment you see mentioned here. You know how to solve the issue or you don't. If you don't - you need help there, at your home. Not here in this forum.
Ha😆! As I said, I'm an early adopter and bought the XT8 when it FIRST came out, sometime around the end of October, early November 2020, long before the complaints started piling up, otherwise I'd never bought it. I relied on reviews from the usual media suspects and bought into the hype. I've managed to make it work since then, until I recently added around 20 new devices over a couple of weeks.

I was a Cisco CCNP prior to my retirement, and had worked with Cisco routers and switches since 1994, but in a Federal environment, so no wireless at all during my career for security reasons. Basically, I had zero wireless experience until I bought my first router, some Netgear piece of crap. So yep, I know networking very well, but reached out here due to my relative inexperience with wifi routers. So, no offense taken. I KNOW what REALLY needs to be done, but number 1. - I don't want to spend that kind of money, and number 2. - there is no way my wife is going to let me tear up the house to wire everything that really should be wired.

So, no offense taken. I KNOW what REALLY needs to be done, but number 1. - I don't want to spend that kind of money, and number 2. - there is no way my wife is going to let me tear up the house to wire everything that really should be wired.

Got it. In this case you know better than anyone here what you need to do. What about weekend (or few weekends) project of external wiring? There are cable runs now available with all turns and angles needed and paintable. When you see no options inside - look outside. PTP wireless bridges are also an option to explore and they are very reliable at shorter LOS distances. PLAs - make sure you get them from a place with good return policy.

Got it. In this case you know better than anyone here what you need to do. What about weekend (or few weekends) project of external wiring? There are cable runs now available with all turns and angles needed and paintable. When you see no options inside - look outside. PTP wireless bridges are also an option to explore and they are very reliable at shorter LOS distances. PLAs - make sure you get them from a place with good return policy.
Hmm...I truly had not even considered outside wiring. It never crossed my mind. This is the reason I posted here. Sometimes you get so involved in the minutia of your problem, that you lose sight of obvious workarounds that you should have thought of, and then a fresh set of eyes points out the painfully obvious! Setting up a Cisco RV320 or 325 and then running external Cat 7 through conduit out to 2 or 3 APs shouldn't be a problem. I checked out the Cisco RV series routers, and the prices are reasonable. Thanks Tech9!

Thanks to everyone else who chimed in, it was most appreciated!

Just so you know, the RV3xx series is EOL, EOS. It should be behind a currently supported router and not directly exposed. i would not try to do a lot of functions in those routers as the CPU is not up to that kind of demand. Simple routing and firewall functions are fine.
You might look at the TPlink Omada series as well.

No, no, Cisco RV32x series are End-Of-Life products. Even next models RV34x. The setups we have with @degrub are there for many years. The last firmware was in Oct 2020 and this is the reason they work behind another firewall. Explore the wiring options, but not Cisco RV3xx.

P.S. Posting at the same time... :)

Just so you know, the RV3xx series is EOL, EOS. It should be behind a currently supported router and not directly exposed. i would not try to do a lot of functions in those routers as the CPU is not up to that kind of demand. Simple routing and firewall functions are fine.
You might look at the TPlink Omada series as well.
Ok, thanks. I guess I didn't dig deep enough into them to discover that unfortunate fact. I'll check out the TP-Link stuff and other Cisco small business solutions.

Cisco doesn't have replacement of what RV3xx series were, actually made by Linksys. TP-Link has Omada integrated SafeStream wired routers, JetStream switches and multiple access point options in wall plate, ceiling and outdoor form with wired and wireless options available. Don't compare Archer consumer series with Omada business series. They are completely different quality products in both hardware and software and target different markets. Archer are on the cheaper side no-frills mostly Broadcom products, Omada is higher level mostly Qualcomm products. Comparable and even better to what Ubiquiti UniFi is. The best roaming I've seen so far with clients tracking is from Omada.

Omada SDN Controller dashboard demo here:

Cisco doesn't have replacement of what RV3xx series were, actually made by Linksys. TP-Link has Omada integrated SafeStream wired routers, JetStream switches and multiple access point options in wall plate, ceiling and outdoor form with wired and wireless options available. Don't compare Archer consumer series with Omada business series. They are completely different quality products in both hardware and software and target different markets. Archer are on the cheaper side no-frills mostly Broadcom products, Omada is higher level mostly Qualcomm products. Comparable and even better to what Ubiquiti UniFi is. The best roaming I've seen so far with clients tracking is from Omada.

Omada SDN Controller dashboard demo here:
Yep, I found that out about Cisco earlier this morning while perusing their product line. I'm definitely interested in what TP-Link / Omada has to offer. I seem to recall that they offer some routers with the SDN controller built in. Is there a downside to that, or is it better to buy both as stand-alone devices? Usually I prefer stand-alone hardware units, as it's pretty rare to get top performance in a "do it all" device. That said, despite having a solid Cisco networking background, I am retired, and have been out of the game for almost 10 years now, so I imagine a lot has changed. I know I'm looking at around 3 APs, a router, and possibly a JetStream switch or 2 (dependent upon how many LAN ports the router comes with). So it seems I will also need a SDN controller (either built into the router, or as a stand-alone device). From what I can tell from the pricing, all this still looks cheaper than buying the "Latest and Greatest" consumer mesh system.

Does my shopping list look about right, or is there something else I need? I appreciate your insight and assistance!

There is one new 3-in-1 model ER7212PC and it sounds perfect for home setup (Router + PoE Switch + Controller). Just add Access Points and done - complete Omada system. Unfortunately, I know nothing about it and have to rely on customer reviews. It become available in late 2022. Otherwise for $270 sounds like a great deal. This is similar to what Cisco RV345P was - Router + PoE Switch. I had 3x units running my business places with up to 8x APs attached. They were popular, regularly targeted and had multiple holes and backdoors, but worked okay and reliably.

Looking at the specs it's some dual-core ARM 1.2GHz CPU with 1GB RAM, perhaps good enough for home network up to Gigabit and with no speedy VPN requirements. I believe it is targeting exactly home or small office users - one device and Wi-Fi of your choice.

The standard shopping list most people with Omada for home use have is something like this:

Router - ER605 or ER7206
Switch - TL-SG2210MP or with more ports
Controller - OC200 or free software on Linux/Windows
Access Points - EAP620 HD or better (the new smaller size ones)

Someone recently asked for EAP690E HD access point. This is a 2023 model monster in AXE11000 class with 10GbE port. :)

Last edited:
The standard shopping list most people with Omada for home use have is something like this:

Router - ER605 or ER7206
Switch - TL-SG2210MP or with more ports
Controller - OC200 or free software on Linux/Windows
Access Points - EAP620 HD or better (the new smaller size ones)

Someone recently asked for EAP690E HD access point. This is a 2023 model monster in AXE11000 class with 10GbE port. :)
Thanks Tech9. Both posts with good info. I'll look into the units and their reviews. So no reservations about an all in one device? Thanks again! Almost forgot - any trade-offs by using the free software controller? Seems there would be, but this is a bit new to me.

Honestly, I really like this ER7212PC and it's not expensive for what it is. There is nothing else similar for $270*. If you buy the components separately you'll pay much more. If it works well - perfect home/office solution. The problem is - brand new device, brand new firmware, no much feedback.

* - it's even cheaper here in Canada. Amazon has it for 297CAD or about 221USD. I may get one to see what it does.

Honestly, I really like this ER7212PC and it's not expensive for what it is. There is nothing else similar for $270. If you buy the components separately you'll pay much more. If it works well - perfect home/office solution. The problem is - brand new device, brand new firmware, no much feedback.
Ok bud, I'll quit bothering you 😁. I think I have enough info to go forward with. Once again, many thanks. I'll let you know how this turns out.

I don't like threads like this.

- I don't know if this is the right solution for you
- now we found an interesting device and I want one :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!