What's new

Limit Bandwidth Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks, but... why the final reboot?
When the router starts up, it checks if you've enabled the Bandwidth Limiter for an entire Guest Network Interface. If so, it apparently disables CTF (cut through forwarding). I think a reboot is needed for this code to run? See here:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...e/src/router/rc/sysdeps/init-broadcom.c#L1565

The actual implementation of Bandwidth Limiter is here:
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/rc/qos.c#L1181

Doesn't it makes a loop reboot?
Playing with an unreleased feature? Is there risk of boot loop?

On the ASUS iPhone app there's a Bandwidth Limiter section with the following.
Bandwidth for family
Bandwidth for Children
Bandwidth for guests
Bandwidth for other.

I don't know if the guests will automatically work with guest network, but it would be nice if it did.

Here's an example from my fork for the guest network part, set for 20Mbps, 2 Mbps. Variable name is qos_bw_rulelist

<1>wl0.1>20480>2048>1

the last '1' is used to set the priority for the tc rules, so bump it +1 to the last number in your existing qos_bw_rulelist (or set to '0' if this is your only rule)

EDIT: And don't forget to do a
service restart_qos
afterward making the edit

Where/how can I review the current value of 'qos_bw_rulelist' and modify it?

I am seeking to limit the up and down of my Guest Networks (2.4ghz/wl0.1 and 5ghz/wl1.1) - and continue to fail using the tc / jffs scripts.

I assume I would add/replace the following:

<1>wl0.1>20480>2048>1
<2>wl1.1>20480>2048>2

EDIT: I may have out how to review the 'qos_bw_rulelist' setting by accessing the NVRAM with this guide, HOWEVER - 'flash get qos_bw_rulelist' fails and returns: '-sh: flash: not found' - ALSO... how would I add a multiple line entry as seen in <1>,<2> above...

EDIT 2: the command is NOT 'flash' BUT actually 'nvram' - so 'flash get qos_bw_rulelist' returns a blank - so now I have to figure out how to properly set it with two values i.e.
nvram set qos_bw_rulelist='<1>wl0.1>20480>2048>1|<2>wl1.1>20480>2048>2'

Last edited:
On the ASUS iPhone app there's a Bandwidth Limiter section with the following.
Bandwidth for family
Bandwidth for Children
Bandwidth for guests
Bandwidth for other.

I don't know if the guests will automatically work with guest network, but it would be nice if it did.

I tested this at 1up/1down and it made no impact on my guest network.

I wonder what trigger that uses...

Asus finally added this feature to the UI. Under Guest Network now the Bandwidth of every guest network can be limited individually. Which is a really must have feature.

uaeLoMV.png

Asus finally added this feature to the UI. Under Guest Network now the Bandwidth of every guest network can be limited individually. Which is a really must have feature.

uaeLoMV.png

I try setting bandwidth limit using this GUI, and it sets Guest_1 wifi in nvram
wl0.1_bw_enabled=1
wl0.1_bw_dl=15360
wl0.1_bw_ul=2048
However testing bandwidth speed still show download > 15Mbps and upload > 2Mbps
So this setting is not working, need something else to set maybe?

Is there any way to enable bandwidth limit on Guest network while using Adaptive QoS and FreshJR script?