What's new

Linksys RV016 DHCP problems??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robkampen

New Around Here
Hi folk, I'm new to the community, however do have some experience with this product, having three installed at various locations and using the VPN.

Just recently we had a major issue when AVG released an upgrade that prevented some of the machines from accessing ANY port 80 (HTTP) site - including the AVG update. They quickly rectified, apologized and provided us specific instruction on how to fix.
Thus only five of our machines got barred from doing any internet browsing. HTTPS worked fine.
It initially looked like a firewall problem, so we chased our tails for hours checking the router as it is the only device providing firewall functions.
During the process, we tried different browsers - all failed to browse.
We brought in a new machine from another network that was working fine, plugged it in and it failed to work - it does not run AVG!
So this once again seemed to point at the router.
Anyway, after far too many hours, I modified the Windoze XP SP3 network settings to use a fixed IP - no longer using DHCP service from the RV016 and suddenly ALL was well!!
So my question
What's up with Linksys DHCP / Windoze / something else ........ that prevents these machines from playing nice??
I have modified all my permanently connected machines to fixed IP, however we have some roaming PC's that are complaining they cannot connect, so I suspect there is an issue still lurking here that I need to resolve.
Anyone have any experience of similar issues?

When you set some PCs to a static IP address...what did you use for the DNS server(s)?

Versus...a PC set to "Obtain Auto"..what does it get for DNS servers?

I have quite a few RV0 units out there at clients...for a basic router..I've found them quite stable units. I groan over their IPSec VPN client software..but that's another matter.

I've not seen an issue like this.
Perhaps make a backup of the configuration (unless you have a simple setup and it's relatively just as easy to redo the setup manually)
Download the latest firmware
Reset the router to factory defaults/Import saved config file if you saved one.
Upgrade to latest firmware/recreate settings

Last edited:
For DNS I set them to the same DNS servers that we were given by the ISP and that the RV016 uses. (same DNS that the router DHCP server uses).
I don't believe this is DNS related......
I just discovered the latest firmware and upgraded my home router. If this remains stable for a few days I'll upgrade the business sites.
There is no indication that these updates address anything like I'm experiencing, however I'm well aware that vendors don't always reveal all the fixes they make...
I have found these units very reliable and have purchased four that seem to function well - the oldest is 3.5 years old.
We were running 2.0.18, now I'm trying 3.0.0.1-tm
Will keep checking if others have this issue.