What's new

Linksys RV042 Review: Solid Dual WAN, VPN Performer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lchiu7

New Around Here
This is somewhat well after the time the review was posted but the review is particularly germane to our situation.

I am looking for a small business router to connect our office to the Internet. The external Internet will be a business grade 25Mbs symmetric fixed IP connection.

Primary use of the router is to provide connectivity for PC's wanting to make VPN connections to an external data centre running an ISA server. To make life easy we would just use the Microsoft client for the VPN.

There is no plan to use the VPN capabilities of the router since the VPN server is actually in a remote data centre. I am just wondering if this router is good enough to support up to 60 users using VPN connections externally and providing some level of protection to the clients with basic firewall capability.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

For that amount of users, I'd probably look towards a higher model, such as the RV016 (twice the CPU and RAM).

It can handle 3x the amount of VPN tunnels.

However, in this setup...and office at location 1, and a server(s) at a data center at location 2...the (usually) preferred setup would be to make a permanent "router to router VPN tunnel" between the 2 sites, so the 2 locations are connected as a wide area network. The 60x clients would not have to initiate VPN tunnels on their own.

RV042 Fallback ?

Quoting from the original review "The Linksys disappointed when I restored the ISP connection to the WAN1 port, however. This should have resulted in the RV042 switching back to the WAN1 connection. Unfortunately, the only way it would connect back to the WAN1 connection was if I manually clicked the Connect button next to the interface. I'm not sure if this is due to the login requirement of the PPPoE connection or a failure of the Network Service Detection functionality. Nevertheless, failover is only half the battle. Fallback is equally important, and this didn't seem to work as expected."

Doug,
Have later firmware release(s) fixed the fallback problem with the RV042 ?
--
Brian

Rv042 rip

Wish I could answer your question, but my RV042 died. It was also out of warranty, so it ended up in the scrap heap. I'd like to see Linksys provide a better warranty like Netgear's and their products with lifetime warranties.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!