What's new

Linksys WRT54G to Linksys WRT3200AC - No Difference

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@TonyH, I am not arguing, I am simply asking questions. The principal issue being, "Why am I not seeing a difference between the two routers in 'real work or practical use' performance". I realize that there are other factors in relation to overall performance, however those factors (variables) remain the same for both routers.

The only remaining variable is the router. I hope you understand that if you hold all other variables constant and the settings on the two routers are identical then the only thing to judge is whether the new router has improved my overall network performance, and my conclusion at this stage is that it hasn't.

I have said in my previous posts that the ethernet wired speedtest does result in improved speed (98 - 102 Kbit/s download), but that hasn't resulted in any "real practical" benefits to me. The handheld devices are still sluggish, the laptop maxes out at 38 Mbit/s (and struggles), not much more than the old router. And yes, streaming to my Chromecast still results in lost connections. My handhelds and laptop are legacy devices so the 5 ghz spectrum is of little use to me.

I know I am asking a lot of my network because of the number of devices connected to it, but I thought a new router would help, but it hasn't. That's my point.

Last edited:
a new adapter would only be as fast as the fastest USB port - and likely slower due to driver overhead.

Have you tried other plugs or circuits for the powerline ? the newer versions (AV2 ? ) may increase the throughput.

I realized after I made that statement about the adapter that it is only as fast as the USB port and the two USB ports are only 2.0.

I did try another plug in the living room for the powerline connection without any difference in performance in the 5 speedtests I ran at different times of the day. I'll look into the newer powerline versions, but if my wife sees me buying any more gear I think she will divorce me.

Thanks for you suggestions, though

Last edited:
I realized after I made that statement about the adapter that it is only as fast as the USB port and the two USB ports are only 2.0.

I did try another plug in the living room for the powerline connection without any difference in performance in the 5 speedtests I ran at different times of the day. I'll look into the newer powerline versions, but if my wife sees me buying any more gear I think she will divorce me.

Thanks for you suggestions, though
Consider adjacent room plugs not on a common wall if you only need wireless.

If you are in the US and can buy from MicroCenter, check out their 30 day return policy.

Simple answer to why no difference--it's the client--your computer. If it can't process the data coming in any faster, you won't see a difference.

I'm kinda in the same boat. We upgraded our watchguard xtm22w to a new 10x capable m200. So now our realworld Internet connection doesn't top out at 40Mbps, but about 170Mbps. And yet, I see no difference because the systems aren't able to really process 100+Mbit/sec.

Where you should see the difference is with simultaneous usage since every device can use more bandwidth simultaneously.