What's new

Load-balancing: I'm lost and I need some help, please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taksavvy offers MLPPP that will bond two DSL lines together.
You can use pfsense as the router with two dsl modems.

I wish my ISP, CenturyLink was as bad as Telus, where I could 'only' get a single 25 Mbps line.... :(

I currently changing to another ISP where I'm using MLPPP to bond two 1.5Mbps lines together and using Tomato MLPPP on a router.

JoeJoe, i didn't mean to offend you or your less-than-stellar speeds. I live in the capital city of my province, in a new-ish condo that uses cat5e in the walls, only 1 block away from the massive University of Alberta, and i'm on the edge of the city center. If ANYONE should get great speeds, it should be me. The only places in Edmonton that can do better are the brand new neighborhoods with fiber lines laid throughout.

Yes 25Mbps is good. But my down:up ratio is 10:1 at best. So if yours is a 10:1 also then you should have a 1.5Mbps down speed and a 0.15Mbps up speed... but your upload is DEFINITELY better than that. So although your overall speed is inferior to mine, the symmetry of your speed is better than mine. Your connection isn't bottlenecked by your upload... it's your whole connection. So which is worse?

I come from a farming town of 3000 people, so i'm well aware of "slow" speeds. I just expect more from telecom companies. I frigging HATE Telus. My desire for more is derived from the fact that I CAN have more, and for cheaper. Out in the back woods i can deal with slowness because that's all that exists.

On another note, maybe you could capitalize on some of my ideas for faster internet in rural areas. If you own a business or some plot of land in a town (with ADSL etc speeds available), why not make your own fixed wireless network? For around $500 you could set up your own wireless N network that could stretch an urban internet connection over 10 miles and into your rural residence. Just saying...

David H

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!