What's new

Local DNS resolution AX6600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stoneware8324

New Around Here
I've just set-up a new ZenWiFi AX6600. My network has several hosts that I wish to communicate with using their hostnames. At the moment I am unable to do so. If I ping 'hostname' I get a message:
Code:
Temporary failure in name resolution

Does the AX6600 have a DNS server built-in? If so, how do I enable it?
I guess I could install something like pihole to manage local DNS, but if I can use the AX6600, all the better to keep things simple and lean.

I'm also curious as to what the LAN>LAN IP>ZenWiFi AX's Domain Name field is used for in the AX6600's config page? Can I populate this field with something like 'homelab.lan' and then all hosts can be reached by name using hostname.homelab.lan?

I've just set-up a new ZenWiFi AX6600. My network has several hosts that I wish to communicate with using their hostnames. At the moment I am unable to do so. If I ping 'hostname' I get a message:
Code:
Temporary failure in name resolution
What OS are you using? That looks like a Linux-type error message. Is your new router's IP address different than your previous router's? My guess is that you need to reconfigure the local DNS service on that client machine to point to your Asus' IP address.

Does the AX6600 have a DNS server built-in? If so, how do I enable it?
Yes. It's enabled automatically in router mode. If you have configured your Asus as an access point it will not be running a DHCP or DNS server.

I'm also curious as to what the LAN>LAN IP>ZenWiFi AX's Domain Name field is used for in the AX6600's config page? Can I populate this field with something like 'homelab.lan' and then all hosts can be reached by name using hostname.homelab.lan?
Exactly that.

I'm using PopOS! which is Ubuntu based OS.
Yes, the new router's IP address is new. I'll check my DNS settings, but I'm pretty sure it's pointing to the Asus router.
I'm using Router mode on the Asus WiFi router and using its DHCP service for issuing IP addresses.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!