What's new

LOCAL Speedtest (measure the speed of the devices among each other in my home network)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kamikaze01

Regular Contributor
Hello dear network friends.
After a lot of searching and internet research, I ask the question here in the forum.

I want to measure the speed of the devices among each other in my home network.
So a LOCAL speed test between various devices.

Handy (Wifi Android) <-? -> Android TV Box (LAN)
QNAP NAS (PowerLAN) <-? -> Android TV Box (LAN)
Android TV Box (WIFI) <-? -> router
Mobile phone (Android WIFI) <-? -> QNAP (Power LAN)
etc etc etc ...

Is there a tool to measure the speed within my LAN network?

There are quite a few programs on the Internet.
But they are either only for Windows or you have to set up your own web server etc.

I'm looking for a simple tool that runs directly on the router :)

I have an RT-AC68U with 384.17.
I activated SSH and also installed entware ;-)

I'm very grateful for any help!

I use iPerf3 (from Entware). In fact, I run the server side as a continually running service (on my FreshTomato router).

Code:
while :; do iperf3 -s; sleep 10; done

Note, it's possible iperf (as either iperf or iperf3) is already in the firmware. Varies from firmware to firmware.

I use iPerf3 (from Entware). In fact, I run the server side as a continually running service (on my FreshTomato router).

Code:
while :; do iperf3 -s; sleep 10; done

Note, it's possible iperf (as either iperf or iperf3) is already in the firmware. Varies from firmware to firmware.
iperf is definitely good but somewhat complicated to operate and it greatly helps if you have a network device that has it built in (like FreeNAS or pfsense) so you can easily set up client and server side. For simple test between a device and a NAS, i use lan-speedtest lite from totusoft. Works fine for simple measurements. Doesn't run on a router though but Windows and MacOS so not sure this is helpful.

iperf is definitely good but somewhat complicated to operate and it greatly helps if you have a network device that has it built in (like FreeNAS or pfsense) so you can easily set up client and server side. For simple test between a device and a NAS, i use lan-speedtest lite from totusoft. Works fine for simple measurements. Doesn't run on a router though but Windows and MacOS so not sure this is helpful.

I have also used speedtest lite for years and it works great.

Thanks a thousand time for you help and answers...

I istalled server side iperf on my nas and than a suitable app on my android (TV Box and Handy) so i can test my speed.
This wored for me ;)

Maybe i will look how to set the iperf server on my router :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!