What's new

Logger basics

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are sent to syslog. Check that the priority level you're using isn't below that set for "Log only messages more urgent than" on the System Log page.
Thanks @ColinTaylor.

I actually don't have that option in either System Log / General Log nor the Administration / System configuration pages. Are you sure the setting is still exposed in the UI.

Also, nvram get log_level in the cli is reflecting as 6 which I think includes everything up to and including Info messages.

I actually don't have that option in either System Log / General Log nor the Administration / System configuration pages. Are you sure the setting is still exposed in the UI.
Do you have the Asuswrt-Merlin F/W currently installed on your router?
If so, what is the release version?

Perhaps you're running the stock AsusWRT F/W, in which case you may not have the GUI option in the "System Log --> General Log" webpage to set the message log level.

And yes, the "Log only messages more urgent than" setting is still available in the latest Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 version.

I'd highly recommend you double check first and then, at the very minimum, provide exactly your router model & the F/W version you have running. That info will provide more context to your specific situation.

Do you have the Asuswrt-Merlin F/W currently installed on your router?
If so, what is the release version?

Perhaps you're running the stock AsusWRT F/W, in which case you may not have the GUI option in the "System Log --> General Log" webpage to set the message log level.

And yes, the "Log only messages more urgent than" setting is still available in the latest Asuswrt-Merlin 386.5_2 version.

I'd highly recommend you double check first and then, at the very minimum, provide exactly your router model & the F/W version you have running. That info will provide more context to your specific situation.
Thanks, @Martinski.

Firmware Version:386.5_2
Router model: RT-AX58U

Had another check and definitely not seeing the option.

Thanks, @Martinski.

Firmware Version:386.5_2
Router model: RT-AX58U

Can you provide a screenshot of the "System Log --> General Log" webpage to see what you do have on the GUI?

As an example, here is a screenshot from my router:

RT-AC86U_GeneralLog.jpg

Here you go.
Ah, you have the Scribe + uiScribe add-ons installed. That changes things significantly. As usual, context is important.

I don't use Scribe at all so I can't really help you any further, but other forum members might be able to help.

Good Luck.

Maybe it's a hardware limitation?

FWIW, I capture the log from my XT8 by putting a Linux machine's IP address into "Remote Log Server" (maybe a DNS name would work too, but it'd be one more moving part that has to be alive when my network boots up...) and then configuring the rsyslog server on the Linux machine to put the log traffic where I want it. With this arrangement, decisions about which messages get logged are mostly made by the rsyslog server's config, not on the router. The default level seems to be a good bit more chatty than what you get to see in the GUI's log window.

Where are entries created using the logger cli tool captured? They don't appear to be going to syslog.
So to answer your question, unless another filter is at work, they end up in /opt/var/log/messages.

You might tag this thread with "scribe" and move it to the add-ons section, keep it tidy.

So to answer your question, unless another filter is at work, they end up in /opt/var/log/messages.

You might tag this thread with "scribe" and move it to the add-ons section, keep it tidy.
Thread tagged but unsure how to relocate. Any thoughts?