What's new

Solved Logging into SSH: How to set up/use [Authorized Keys] feature?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wallace_n_Gromit

I thought I would try to set up SSH to login using [Authorized Keys]

I tried to find information using Search for "Authorized Keys" on snbforums. Didn't find anything specific as a step-by-step how to do this.

Has anyone tried using the PuTTygen app to set this up? I partially struggled my way through PuTTygen, copy and pasted the RSA Public Key into [Authorized Keys] field so it's on the router.

Logically, the matching key must be on the computer side/app side (i.e. putty). Dunno how that's done, the partial implicit directions are not intuitive.

When I SSH into the router it still asks for user name/password. (even after a reboot)

Oops!: I see something promising here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dropbear-ssh-without-remote-password.21070/

Last edited:
Using Putty, you need to go to Connection->SSH->Auth in the configuration, where you can Browse to find the Private Key.

It's also convenient to go to Connection->Data, where you can specify the username.

Of course, save the Session so you don't have to do this over and over again.

Using Putty, you need to go to Connection->SSH->Auth in the configuration, where you can Browse to find the Private Key.

It's also convenient to go to Connection->Data, where you can specify the username.

Thanks for those promising lead(s). I have a few errands to run, get back to this in a few hours. Expecting as much as 16" of snow next 2 days. Early light powder coming down now.

That helped especially watching the putty puttygen pageant youtube videos.

When I'm in Connection->SSH->Auth in the configuration I only see [About] [Help] [Open] [Cancel] I don't see a way to [Save] and NOT to keep having to [Browse] and keep finding/choosing the "Private key for authentication"

I have managed using Pageant to log in for the first time to my router just using my Username. Not sure yet if I lose everything with a reboot or computer shut down. Right now just playing around with it/trying different things. Kind of kewl! Regardless thanks for the leads. It really helped.

Last edited:
@Wallace_n_Gromit, you're welcome but you're not getting off that easily!

I'm waiting for your how-to guide, soon. :)

@Wallace_n_Gromit, you're welcome but you're not getting off that easily!

I'm waiting for your how-to guide, soon. :)
Yikes! :eek: My incompetent "How to" will be SURE way for me to get permanently banned from this site! :D It would be easier to write a "How NOT to..."

Why not? We already have too many how-to's! A how NOT to will be a refreshing change. :D

how does one go about using Authorized keys on linux? namely, debian.

how does one go about using Authorized keys on linux? namely, debian.

Under your home directory, there should be the .ssh directory (hidden), where the ssh client will typically look for the authorized_keys file, config file, etc. At least for the openssh client. Putty manages its own files under the .putty directory.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!