What's new

Looking for a Gaming/ Digital DJ/All around Lap top

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My personal opinion is that, right now is a bad time to buy a new laptop, due to all the new CPUs coming out this month. If you are not in a hurry, wait until at least the end of April - last gen models might significantly drop in price to make room for Ryzen 4000 / Intel 10th Gen products.

One of the things I love about my Thinkpad Yoga 15. 4+ years old, and Lenovo STILL issues driver and BIOS updates for it. Most manufacturers drop the ball after 18-24 months.

I just wish they didn't use a BIOS whitelist, so I could update it to 802.11ax wifi.

Yep. That support should last long enough to reflect necessary updates. At some point, the hardware becomes fairly stable. My daughters are still running their college laptops, Dell Latitude E6400 (2008) and E6410 (2010).

OE

I am not in a rush, I can wait. Id like to just have a few solid options to choose from. I am sure what ever you guys suggest will be fine for what I am going to be doing.

L&LD I looked all over ASUS website and I am unable to locate a 15 In model, If By chance you have a few minutes could you try and see if you can. I will also attempt to call the Company you linked to and see I try and get a feel for them. Thank you

https://www.gentechpc.com/Asus-15-6...at=107&show=90&page=1&minprice=&maxprice=1300

One of these?

Yes, of the ones listed, the following is the one with the newest/latest hardware tech and very similar to the first one I posted.

https://www.gentechpc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Asus-TUF506IU-ES74

What I wrote before also applies to this model too. :)

The following 'benchmark' site shows why I don't want you to spend the same (or more) money on last-gen tech (even if it is only technically 1 year older). :)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-3750H/3676vs3441

Even with a 45W TDP vs. 35W TDP of the older models, the newer CPU is more than 2x faster when using all the cores. And over 30% faster when using a single core. All while getting better battery life too.

Let us know what you decide. :)

HTH.

Only thing I am seeing different is the Hard drive size , the HZ 120 vs 144 and obviously the screen. Is that a good graphics card, I see the others have higher Numbers.

So doing some research on my Digital DJing program, they are saying it does not play well with AMD chip and Pioneer says they don't support it. I was really liking what I was hearing about AMD Chip. Any suggestions on an Intel set up? I wonder if Gentec would swap the chip in the Lap top.

They must be talking about older chips, correct? o_O

The ones suggested are not released yet. ;)

They are talking about older chips but from searching they are saying that as of now they don't plan on supporting AMD chips. I don't want to chance it as this is one of the reasons for buying a new laptop. I called Gentec but it just rang and no way to leave a message.

ANy Suggestions on the Intel Chip Models? More I read The more I am liking the AMD Chip but Rekordbox is still saying they don't support it and people report problems, Would the new chip be an issue maybe not but I would hate to have a Lap top that can't do what I am getting it for.

The Lenovo Legion Y545 would be a consideration.

Is teh Legion a decent Lap top I have not heard of them before. The reviews I just read appears that it is a decent machine. Is there anything from Asus that you would recommend running intel chip?

I really do appreciate the help.

You're welcome. :)

Asus? Not at your price range that I know of.

Lenovo is constantly running sales, follow them for a few weeks and you'll get a good feel for their best prices on the models you're interested in. :)

Whatever you do, don't buy them at full price. Not that they're not worth it (I personally prefer their Thinkpad line), but because of their constant sales, the real prices are the discounted ones. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!