What's new

Looking for a new router to take advantage of 1gb internet and the options are making my head swim - please help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you're planning to keep the router longer than about 2 years, the RT-AX86U is the better bang for the buck today.

If you use your devices outside your network and they have an internet connection, then using an OpenVPN server on your router will be useful if you're constantly connecting to random guest networks during the outing.

The router hardware is grossly underpowered (as I've been saying for years now). The RT-AX86U is no exception. It is the highest-performing hardware for the least money we can buy today (and that also runs RMerlin firmware). Saving $50 today to set yourself up to spend another $200-300 + in a few months is a false economy. You don't need a 2Gbps ISP connection to enjoy what the RT-AX86U offers.

Spending an extra $50 is worth it if it saves me time. If it doesn't save me time and the performance is the same, the cheaper option is better.

It will save you money on up to 1Gbps ISP and common 2-stream clients. The time used to set it up is the same, the expected wired and wireless speed is the same. I'm a tech guy and fictional performance "facts" don't work on me. There is nowhere to get more performance using exactly the same radios.

You're ignoring the rest of the facts. Again. :rolleyes:

I separate technical facts from Asus fans fictional performance benefits. With up to Gigabit ISP, exactly the same radios with exactly the same drivers and exactly the same CPU core performance for routing are equal to exactly the same final performance. Sorry, try somewhere else. ;)

If you use your devices outside your network and they have an internet connection, then using an OpenVPN server on your router will be useful if you're constantly connecting to random guest networks during the outing.
I have a VPN service I use, I'm not going to be setting up my own VPN at this point in time. This might change in the future, but the geopolitical changes that would necessitate that are - fingers crossed - quite unlikely.
Saving $50 today to set yourself up to spend another $200-300 + in a few months is a false economy. You don't need a 2Gbps ISP connection to enjoy what the RT-AX86U offers.
If I don't plan on running any servers or my own VPNs, what other benefits are there (besides future-proofing)? I'm not seeing what the value is for a consumer like me.
It will save you money on up to 1Gbps ISP and common 2-stream clients.
This is pretty much it. We're going to stick to 1gbpa for the next 1-2y as that's the max for our address. Maybe we'd go for 2gb in the next house - if it's available at the address. And if my gamer kid needs it (and if they're still living at home). I'm not averse to buying a new router if our circumstances change, I'd just sell the current one and buy something else.

I'd just sell the current one and buy something else.

If you go with 2Gbps ISP, you'll have to buy something else anyway. Perhaps x86 firewall, switch, access points. There is one single Asus model with 2.5GbE WAN + LAN port - GT-AX6000 for about $400. And it can do high speeds only with NAT acceleration hacks, like all other home routers.

If you go with 2Gbps ISP, you'll have to buy something else anyway. Perhaps x86 firewall, switch, access points. There is one single Asus model with 2.5GbE WAN + LAN port - GT-AX6000 for about $400. And it can do high speeds only with NAT acceleration hacks, like all other home routers.
only one Asus with 2.5 Gb + lan port ?

only one Asus with 2.5 Gb + lan port ?

The post you quoted is from Mar 2022. Back then GT-AX6000 was the first and only available model with 2x 2.5GbE ports. Now we have available RT-AX88U Pro and ZenWiFi Pro XT12/ET12 with 2x 2.5GbE ports as well as higher positioned GT-AX11000 Pro and GT-AXE16000 models with 10GbE ports. They all came after GT-AX6000.

The post you quoted is from Mar 2022. Back then GT-AX6000 was the first and only available model with 2x 2.5GbE ports. Now we have available RT-AX88U Pro and ZenWiFi Pro XT12/ET12 with 2x 2.5GbE ports as well as higher positioned GT-AX11000 Pro and GT-AXE16000 models with 10GbE ports. They all came after GT-AX6000.
sorry did not check the date

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!