What's new

Looking for a new router to take advantage of 1gb internet and the options are making my head swim - please help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is true, I have no idea what the next house will hold.

So getting back to routers, the only vote so far has been for the Eero Pro. I was really hoping to get some feedback on the TP-Link Deco W7200 from someone, but maybe this forum is more a place for more technical folks?

(not saying that's a bad thing, I've gotten fantastic advice & insight on prior purchases here.)

@SunrisePro

Myself and @Tech9 are more techy than reviewers. We tend to advise on tried and true equipment.

If you want to go into something with "nodes" there's tons of options but, they typically all under perform due to how they communicate with each other. The main node works @ 100% but, the others using a wireless backhaul tend to suffer @ 50% in speed. Of course if you had a higher budget then a tri-band node setup would mitigate the reduction in speed on the remote nodes.

@$250 though your options aren't great other than a combo gateway or the EERO setup mentioned. If you came up a little bit you could get a non-wireless router for ~$60 and hook an AP up to it for WIFI. This sort of setup would be your entry point into something more substantial once you buy a place and want to add more to it for robustness. WIFI6 has some features that improve upon AC even if our clients are AC based.

I've noticed with the Zyxel I mentioned earlier that they've ironed out most of the quirks in the FW since release at this point and it's rock solid for performance. I've been running it for ~18mo's now and the only thing I regret is not getting it recently on sale for $160. If you keep an eye on prices it can be a true steal.

If you want to dive into "mesh" systems though I suggest creating a new thread with mesh in the title and it should get you more responses.

As to your TPL question.....
1647447570023.png

Which TP Link model is that? That looks like Amazon ad & the Deco W7200 is Walmart only (however, I'm unclear if they have the same thing on Amazon with a different model #).

I've had suspicions about the 'wireless backhaul' - in my mind, a wired backhaul makes sense and I know a bunch of TPL models offer that.

I will take your advice on the mesh systems and start a new topic. Thanks for all of your input so far, I'll definitely be back when I own a house and can do things the right way.

The best advice I can come up with is shoot for at least WiFi 6 and triple check reviews from actual users. There's a lot of hype out there when it comes to selling miracles. If it seems to easy then there's usually a catch.

EDIT - Yikes, I just re-read your original post and I totally missed the word RENTAL. forget the wiring, you need lots of WAPs...enough for coverage. Ive heard Eero works well if you don't need to customize features. ZenWifi has its supporters as well. I wouldn't worry about wifi6 stuff until you get more permanently located, so that you can take advantage of wired backhaul...unless your landlord might be convinced to add future rental marketing value to his property by installing a wifi setup for the ages ;-)

First off, "gaming router" is a marketing ploy. Don't fall for it. You need a solid router, period, that can transparently make your 1Gbps connection smooth to all devices connected to it.
Your gamer girl is right on the money about an ethernet connection - anything that doesn't move, or rarely moves, probably like your brand spankin' new macs with wifi6, should IMHO be wired, period. That means desktop computers, smart TVs/streaming boxes, NAS...wire 'em up and turn their wireless off if possible.
wires arent as conveinient as "internet from the air/anywhere" but if you need a solid connection, you can not beat copper. (see also Tesla, Nicola - Wireless Power) further, you pay for wires/switches ONCE as opposed to continually upgrading Wireless APs for "faster/better/more reliable" wireless. 1000' feet of Cat 6 is a hundred bucks(?). can't beat it for security or privacy either.

If you're looking at the Asus stuff seriously (and you should), the AX86 is the current flagship (IMO- and it's wonderfully capable, now and for some time to come - the AXE stuff is starting to populate the market but I'm not sure what client devices support it)... but for coverage, you can match it with other of their more affordable AX and AC offerings to achieve "mesh" (if that's important - but it sounds to me like you'd be better off with APs that offer wireless based on what the clients connecting to them can support)

Wired ethernet backhaul is for the system of APs to appear cohesive ("in a mesh") - get that infrastructure communication/data off the airwaves to keep the path for your (critical) data...
and unless you really need to differentiate between 2 5Ghz bands, I wouldnt bother with tri-band stuff.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks! I pay deep attention to expansive user reviews from people who seem to know what they're talking about. I just need to narrow it down to a few models before digging into them.

EDIT - Yikes, I just re-read your original post and I totally missed the word RENTAL. forget the wiring, you need lots of WAPs...enough for coverage. Ive heard Eero works well if you don't need to customize features. ZenWifi has its supporters as well. I wouldn't worry about wifi6 stuff until you get more permanently located, so that you can take advantage of wired backhaul...unless your landlord might be convinced to add future rental marketing value to his property by installing a wifi setup for the ages ;-)
The landlord is a giant corp, I doubt they'll do anything they don't have to (plus we hope to only live there for 1-2y).

What is your reasoning for not worrying about Wifi 6? Are there a lot of factors involved to be able to get gigabit speeds on it?

I'm not that into customizing features any more - the older I get, the less time I seem to have, and the more I just want stuff that works (back in the day I used to dual boot into Win98 Lite, because why not?)

I hope some Eero of ZenWifi owners can chime in

I just had a thought, since Asus has so many routers with the Aimesh thing. What about 2 of their cheaper (like $100) routers, using Aimesh and a wired backhaul?

My budget is $250 or less

You are in mostly Asus users forum. $250 gets you an AX86U router. I know what is better, but it doesn't fir the budget.

What about 2 of their cheaper (like $100) routers

Only one AiMesh capable router is that cheap - RT-AC66U B1, based on 2013 technology, AC Wave 1. AiMesh is marketing name for connected access points or repeaters with central, but very limited management. The performance is no better than router + wired access point or router + wireless repeater.

The AX86U is at the top of my list, I'm just keeping an eye on the price. I read some more around the forums and it seems like mesh is, as you put it, a marketing term. I am glad I asked here!

Maybe I should start looking at wired access points - do they use the same SSID as the main router?

FWIW I have a 1900sqft single storyhouse that is sort of h like shaped in layout. I have and AX86U placed where the two lines would connect on the h, if that makes sense. Kind of as far into the room as I could place it somewhat centrally. The back yard would be in the top right and is fairly sizable and the garage on the bottom right.

We get complete WiFi coverage, though the back yard and garage obviously see slower speeds. The back yard gets decent 5Ghz at least 25ft out.

Not sure how different 2 story coverage would be, but that’s just my experience.

Are there a lot of factors involved to be able to get gigabit speeds on it?

Yes. Common clients are 2-stream. 802.11ax link rate is up to 1200Mbps. Realistic throughput expectations about half of the link rate. If you are lucky (close to the router, clear channel) about 800Mbps. Chance for Gigabit Wi-Fi only with 160MHz wide channel. May or may not be possible in your new location.

This second thread wasn't necessary.

You are going to get similar answers in both threads. You don't really know what do you need yet. As I told you already, get there and see what the house looks like. Make a decision after you know what do you need. Don't buy equipment in advance just because it's on sale. It may not work for you.

do they use the same SSID as the main router?
It's up to how you configure them.

My AP has the capability of 8 x SSID's per radio for a total of 16. If you wanted to segregate traffic from one set of devices to another it's a good way to do it. Make say an IOT SSID on 2.4ghz and only there since they're not high bandwidth and usually at a distance and this keeps 5ghz clean for high bandwidth use. They're just as simple to setup as a cheesy off the shelf black box but, since they're designed for a single purpose they do it really well.

What are some reliable brands to look at for APs?
I went Zyxel for thrive/performance value for WiFi 6.

Netgear has a 6E now for $360 w/coupon.

I expect to see more 6E devices coming out this year to drive prices down further. Basic AP though start with 2x2 radios and performance is there but a 4x4 is going to be more sustainable for the long term. There are some 8x8 options out but those are more geared /priced for offices.

Another clue to look at is the Ethernet port speed. If it's a gig then it's basic. 2.5 / 5 gig ports give you more bandwidth internally and externally once you hit higher ISP speed plans.

The Zyxel I'm using though has pretty good latency numbers of 1-2ms to internal devices which would be good enough for gaming.

The landlord is a giant corp, I doubt they'll do anything they don't have to (plus we hope to only live there for 1-2y).

What is your reasoning for not worrying about Wifi 6? Are there a lot of factors involved to be able to get gigabit speeds on it?

I'm not that into customizing features any more - the older I get, the less time I seem to have, and the more I just want stuff that works (back in the day I used to dual boot into Win98 Lite, because why not?)

I hope some Eero of ZenWifi owners can chime in
Don't overthink - buy the best now because it isn't disposable, and when you move and upgrade again, you'll already have 2 AX-capable machines to mesh together as necessary.

WiFi6 has been covered here by others. You'll more than likely be disappointed by less than gigabit speeds over the air, because most of us don't live in ideal wireless conditions

One AX86 properly placed should cover the house, and extend well into the yard - I've a poorly placed AC86, and it covers a slightly larger home pretty admirably, as well as into the yard/driveway around it...If I moved it above ground level, 8' or so up from where it sits now, I'm certain I could use my wifi (5GHz) at the street and in the neighbours yards (the AX86 has better radios), and you can easily add a switch for $20 for your gamer if the router's ports are full.

the Eero stuff is inexpensive and works well enough, but you'll be buying new stuff again when you relocate, so does it make the most sense?

I'll stand by my "wire everything that doesn't move" assertion though....but that's for when you own the walls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!