What's new

Looking for a SIM Card-compatible ASUS Router with Asuswrt-Merlin Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowboy

Regular Contributor
I'm in search of an ASUS Router that can support a SIM Card, and I need your expertise and suggestions to help me find the right one. Specifically, I plan to use the router in Greece, where the only available network in my desired installation area is a mobile network.

Currently, I own two ASUS Routers, namely the AC86U and AC87U, but unfortunately, they don't have SIM Card slots. Therefore, I'm looking for a different ASUS Router model that meets my requirements.

One important criterion for me is that the router must be compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin. I've found this firmware to be highly reliable and feature-rich, making it essential for my network management needs.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Having a Sim card means having a modem, Merlin doesn't support combined routers.

You would need a MiFi router or dongle .

Having a Sim card means having a modem, Merlin doesn't support combined routers.

You would need a MiFi router or dongle .
Thanks for the fast answer.
Could you suggest me one such good dongle on Amazon Germany?

I would ask the Greek mobile provider for advice on a compatible unit.

Better, I think, is to repurpose a phone, being mindful that 3G may be phased out where you are. Or a 5G phone.

Before you go, test something out with your router. About 3 months ago I went to use an Android phone and I couldn't find that profile anymore with my AC86. Getting prepped for being in a new place before the fiber was installed. It had worked before. I didn't spend a lot of time puzzling it out because my travel routers will fill the bill in the meantime, using the phone either as a dongle or a WISP repeater, but the likelihood was that it was my error.

I've got a NETGEAR LM1200 LTE Modem, bought off Amazon when it was on a deal for £99 (Amazon prime day tomorrow, maybe take a look then?)

It worked first time with both of the SIMs I have available - EE & O2.
In fact, I'm toying with the idea of ditching my FTTC broadband when the contract is up and switching to an unlimited data SIM which is cheaper and faster.

Main problem is CGNAT in the way, so no incoming connection like OpenVPN.

I'm in search of an ASUS Router that can support a SIM Card, and I need your expertise and suggestions to help me find the right one. Specifically, I plan to use the router in Greece, where the only available network in my desired installation area is a mobile network.

Currently, I own two ASUS Routers, namely the AC86U and AC87U, but unfortunately, they don't have SIM Card slots. Therefore, I'm looking for a different ASUS Router model that meets my requirements.

One important criterion for me is that the router must be compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin. I've found this firmware to be highly reliable and feature-rich, making it essential for my network management needs.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I agree that Merlin's firmware is hard to beat but for a travel router look at the many offerings from GL.iNet. Some will take a SIM card directly and most all others will allow you to connect an USB modem or tether a phone. In addition if WiFi is available you can use them as a repeater and if you are staying some place with an Ethernet connection you can connect them that way. The Open-WRT firmware is simple to use and WireGuard is built into the firmware. Finally their travel routers are small so they don't take up much room in your luggage.

Revised and corrected 7/10/23 Changed DD_WRT to Open WRT.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!