What's new

Looking for Access Point with Guest Feature

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good Access Point with Guest Feature which will allow me to separate the network between users from the internal network and those who use a Guest WiFi. I don't want them to communicate with each other and then "oops, suddenly someone by accident might have infected my whole network".

I also need RJ45 connector on it but I'm pretty sure that's a standard. I also was wondering if those Access Points come without WPS Buttons ? I heard that Ubiquiti Access Points are pretty decent. I found Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE for quite cheap which looks like a solid device but not sure on the guest feature. Any thoughts on it ?

P.S I never build a router before and it's my first time, I'm a tech savvy person so I'm pretty sure I will be able to set it all up as currently I'm rocking a DD-WRT router. However, any tips and tricks are welcome.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

The Ubiquiti is a good choice. It is one of the few that have built in filters that allow it to have guest access without using VLANs. It works pretty well. Of course it can also do separation with VLANs if you end up going that route, too.

So, does the mentioned model provide a guest feature ?
I know how VLAN's work but how does that work on Access Point ? I thought that to setup VLAN on Wi-Fi was only possible on more expensive and higher corporate networks and hardware so I been told before.

Many AP's can bind SSID's to VLAN's - Airport for example, binds the Guest SSID to VLAN1003, which is how they can do Guest Network support over their pseudo-mesh extended AP's...

So, does the mentioned model provide a guest feature ?
I know how VLAN's work but how does that work on Access Point ? I thought that to setup VLAN on Wi-Fi was only possible on more expensive and higher corporate networks and hardware so I been told before.

Yes the Ubiquiti has a guest feature. Even without Vlans you can have the guest separated from the rest of your network, and separated from each other.

I was checking a review of that Ubiquiti and everything sounds good but apparently it requiries some program to be installed on a PC in order to configure it. So for that reason I can't buy it and need something which I can set via a web interface. I'm looking for something fairly cheap like above Ubiquiti or a little bit more expensive.

Yes the Ubiquiti requires controller software to set it up. This can be run on a PC as you have discovered, or you can purchase their Cloudkey device that runs the controller software. But purchasing that device will add to your overall cost.

As for the others, I do not know. If you are going to run VLANs for your quest access that opens up more possibilities. Very few AP's have a separate Guest feature without using VLANs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!