What's new

Looking for advice AX88U Channels.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Having read the below, Which media bridge would you have picked

• AX56U - Give me the Juice Now!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • AX58U - Waited Patiently

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AX92U - Waited Patiently

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

prom3theu5

New Around Here
Hi all

Decided to retire my n66u, and take the plunge to wifi 6 while stuck at home in lockdown - like so many others it seems considering kit is sold out everywhere lol. Previously was running this, along with two Unify AP-Lite's as a bridge.

The Story / Current Setup

I'm on Virgin media 350mb down / 35mb up

Just managed to get hold of an AX88U which is my main router downstairs. On 2ghz I've 5 echo shows, ring doorbell, 2 cams and a dyson fan. Rest of the lights and heating have wired bridges.

Upstairs in my office is another question entirely.
I picked up an AX200, however do not feel comfortable having it in the PCIE 1x slot next to my gpu, so tried putting it in one of the lower free 4x slots (I thought they were forward compatible???) however computer doesn't post with it in so taken that out - and using my n66u as a media bridge for now to the AX88u. Getting a solid 450/450 on it which is cool, as it's the max rate

Can't get hold of an AX58u anywhere, so thought sod it - given my internet rate (max available in my area to date) I'll pick up an AX56u, which I've just ordered for delivery tomorrow.

The N66u is (and always has been running in some flavor or another) Merlins firmware, well more specifically Johns Fork right now.
Its stable as hell.

I'm going to require whatever I run to be media bridge as wired backhaul is impossible for me. I rent - so can't run cabling, and the upper and lower house are on separate wiring rings, so powerline is out of the question.

Main Question Regarding Purchase

Do you think I was right to go for the Ax56U with my line? Or should I not have let my impatience get the better of me and just waited for an AX58u to be in stock? I mean - it's going to be at least 6 months till anything faster is in my area (certainly anything faster than 500mb down). The sole purpose of this router is to provide network connection to my main PC, and on premise build server when I need to use it (ESXi hosting OSX Server, Ubuntu and Windows Server 2019). Rarely need to perform local builds, as I run agents on a few DO Droplets anyhow).
NAS and PIHole are both in a cupboard downstairs (WIRED!)

Observed Problems

I'm having something funky occur with the AX88U.
Below are my current wireless settings.

uVBQHhS.png

These settings work great for the N66U - 450/450 like I said.
However - my iphone gets about half the rate on fast.com (170mb) with Channels 36, 40 and 44.

If I set the control channel to Auto, it will pick 100
This is where things get crazy - and I don't understand what's happening.
On Auto Control channel, with 100 chosen (according to the UI) the iphone will get 300mb down on fast.com, and N66u will show 450/450 as well.

However I don't want to leave this on automatic for personal reasons (I don't like things to possibly change with my setup during reboots, I prefer to know off the top of my head exactly how my infrastructure operating).

So - My first port of call was to set the Control channel to 100 manually - as I know when it's automatically picked, it works great.
Big Mistake!
When I did that all my devices in the house couldn't see the 5ghz radio.
So I set it back to Auto, and 100 got picked again - everything could see it o_O o_O

Truth be known - I'm novice when it comes to wireless infrastructure, but I get by. For the life of me I don't understand what is going on there.
The AX88U is currently running Stock after nuclear format (I immediately nuclear format and ran merlins out of the box, however same issue was apparently on x.17).
Any help would be greatly appreciated - if you got this far, thanks for reading!

1.Channel 100 is a DFS channel so the router has to scan for nearby radar before the channel can transmit there. 2. if it does detect radar then it auto vacates the channel and picks another. 3 Some client devices are not DFS capable and simply don't support those channels at all.

Ahh ok - thanks for clarification on that :)
What would you recommend channel wise? Just keep going through them till I find one apple friendly?
Phone is an X - waiting for the 12 later in the year so not getting a 11 now.

Do you think I made the right choice with the AX56U for a bridge?

Find a channel that gives you the best speeds avoiding the DFS channels. This can be hard if you require 160 MHZ band width. If not and you need only 80 MHZ try the bottom channels or the higher channels. Can't speak for the AX56U never owned one I have the AX58U and love it.