What's new

Looking for best traffic analyzer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colt45 UK

New Around Here
I'm looking for a "HARDWARE" that has a better traffic analyzer that details the time, amount of data not by the hour but minute by minute (or every 5 or 10 mins). - I currently have ASUS RT-AX88U but it's showing hourly which I'm struggling to find out what time they actually did start using the device.
Parental Control also is an issue - Say I want them to start using the internet to quickly check for any details (i.e. timetable, email, etc...) before they go school, but I can't do that because it does was done by the hour when I want it to start at 7.30 am (not 7 am) till 8.00 am which is far too early for the kids because they will end up watching youtube, etc - alternatively I can block the whole morning but then it's affecting my kids' day for not checking the timetable online in the morning? - Why 7.30 am, I just want my kids to get in routine by getting up and ready for school, including breakfast, brush their teeth, check school work in a bag, shoes on, etc... - and once they're all ready up (if they have spare 10-15 mins), they can quickly start using the internet, otherwise, they'll wake up 5 - 6 am which is not acceptable by me and my partner.
So I'm prepared to look for a new replacement that gives better features so can anyone recommended me something one because every time I google for something, I end up "software" which I don't want.
Thanks

A quick search brings up a number of Raspberry Pi based bandwidth monitors. But they may be beyond your skillset or desire to implement.
Take a look at Circle. It's subscription based, but any decent parental control method will be.

As mentioned, I'd rather not to have software - need to be hardware i.e. maybe to replace a better router or something. I need to monitor all clients in my household. Even if it's monitoring my Lifx bulb, Nest Protect, Ring Cam, etc... and sometimes I enable guest mode for friends/family. But most important of all is, I need to make sure my kids aren't sneaky around and start using mobile, pc, tablets, Nvidia shield tv, Xbox, PlayStation, etc.. - Yes, I have many devices but don't think Circle can cope with that? - I've tried Screentime for Android, it's limited and doesn't do what I want.
So again, I just need a full dedicated device that comes with good features including what's my AX88U has but better! - As I have been buying quite a few different routers but they all come in different pros and cons.

Now, for that Raspberry Pi based bandwidth monitors, that only measures a single client? - but if I set it up before the router, it'll measure the router? - I'd need a bit easier to use especially for my wife who isn't tech-savvy but wants something simpler for her to use.

More than happy to install 3rd Party Custom Firmware - as long it has a good stable release for my AX88U - but it has to have those "advance bandwidth monitor" features.

I.e. how do ISP monitor their customers? - I'd like something like that but for home use.

It's for around 30 devices.

Oh another note I forgot to mention, my eldest son seems to becoming more smarter than me when it comes to tech, he does know how to format his PC, uninstall apps, etc.. so installing apps on their PC won't do for me. This is why I want full monitor on my own PC and to be able to remote to my own router which my kids don't have access to it.

Last edited:
But when I read on their website, it's for Android and IOS only? - That part confuses me, but I will read more about it.

Update : Seems to be for all type of devices, looks good but then I read reviews on Android, I'm seeing lots of poor rating - so I'm not too sure about that now.
Any alternative? - Raspberry Pi might be my next best choice? - Will give that a try.
Thanks

Last edited:
But when I read on their website, it's for Android and IOS only? - That part confuses me, but I will read more about it.
That's the app that manages the Circle device. Give it a closer look.
Any alternative? - Raspberry Pi might be my next best choice? - Will give that a try.
All the ones I linked the search to are DIY bandwidth monitor only.

I'm looking for a "HARDWARE" that has a better traffic analyzer that details the time, amount of data not by the hour but minute by minute (or every 5 or 10 mins). - I currently have ASUS RT-AX88U but it's showing hourly which I'm struggling to find out what time they actually did start using the device.

Splunk + Palo Alto Networks app

Sorry, that was for Corporate/Enterprise networks.
Maybe someday we'll have that kinda thing for home networks.

This is what I use at home. Not enterprise-level but at least SOHO level, very granular report & control which might be what you want:

1. Ubiquiti Edgerouter X. Allows very specific time parental control via custom firewall rules

Screenshot 2021-01-17 005605.png

2. ntopng (Pro version) running on Raspberry 4. Extremely detailed network monitoring system. You can view every activities in your network at any time.

screencapture 2021-01-17-00_56_13.png

The downside is both require pretty advance technical knowledge to setup.

Thanks for the updates, however, ASUS seems to have updated their firmware and now I'm able to set time to 15 mins instead of hourly so it's better than nothing.

@Natey2 : I have already seen Asus Traffic Analyzer on my router - it shows the hourly log, not by the minutes :)

Don't know if you are still looking but Firewalla (particularly the Gold version) might do what you want. You can even look at per device traffic and set rules per device or create groups of devices (IE Kids Phones and Tablets) and do rules for that group

Don't know if you are still looking but Firewalla (particularly the Gold version) might do what you want. You can even look at per device traffic and set rules per device or create groups of devices (IE Kids Phones and Tablets) and do rules for that group

Ohh, that sounds like just what I'm after! - Yea, will check and compare different edition and as you've said, particularly the gold version - so I'll see what they have for me.
Many thanks :)

Update: It appears that I'm getting 1gbits very soon, this gold package only does 500Mb to 1Gb so I will keep eye on that over the next few months and see if someone can confirm if that will be able to bypass my device to the max speed rather than via Firewalla?
I know it states up to 1Gb but next year? broadband might upgrade again and I do not wish to have to rid of it and buy a better version next year if you know what I mean :)

Last edited: