What's new

looking for cheap router with openwrt support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since in market there are very few 802.11 N based routers, you will find it hard to search on a limited budget. But here are my few suggestions to look once - Linksys WRT1900ACS DD-WRT Dual-Band or D-Link DIR 890L Tri-Band.

Dont do it, save a bit more and WAIT ! Ive had 3 cheap routers, including several Netgear, nighhalk didnt work out either. Hang on in there for a RT-AC87U or the RT-AC86U if you save a bit more :)

The original post was from 2009...

ThreadNecro.jpg

well i didn't see that, however since I found it, Im sure others will, and others reading would be interested in all replies, else why has it not been archived or deleted?

Forums never delete old posts, they are kept there for future reference. Old answers can still help people today.

Cheap router... and fun to play with as it's QC-Atheros with a well understood SoC and WiFi...

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar150/

It's explicitly supported in OpenWRT... and it's almost impossible to brick when tinkering...

Perfect for Nubs that want to explore OpenWRT

Don't go for the other ones - the AR150 is the one for OpenWRT training wheels - can't go wrong, and don't pay over $22USD for it.

Last edited:
Cheap router... and fun to play with as it's QC-Atheros with a well understood SoC and WiFi...

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar150/

It's explicitly supported in OpenWRT... and it's almost impossible to brick when tinkering...

Perfect for Nubs that want to explore OpenWRT

Don't go for the other ones - the AR150 is the one for OpenWRT training wheels - can't go wrong, and don't pay over $22USD for it.

Could something like this come handy to AUGMENT / COMPLEMENT this Scenario?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...ome-soho-setup-for-wifi-ac-no-ubiquiti.60398/

My money (maybe $45?) goes for a(n) ZBT WG3625 gigabit WiFi with 4G/LTE modem option. Mine was upgraded with the Quicktel EM12-G CAT12 modem I bought for $130 back two months ago, likely available for more like $90 now? You could go with a Sierra Wireless 'AirPrime' EM7565 instead if you have money to throw at things, still CAT12 but likely more reliable long-term. (?) - always subject to opinion and life experience.

Frankly these days you're likely to swap it out for "what's next" in under two years, anyway, so I would go with the EC25-AF now for $88 + shipping right now, and buy either of those two CAT12 - Quectel EM12-G for $155 or Sierra Wireless EM7565 "AirPrime" for $205. You're likel

[xxx] [xxx]S O B[xxx] [xxx]

Wow, how easy is it to blast half your message - or all? I can't remember what I said precisely, but it's likely TL;DR anyway:
The point was that there's middle ground from either manufacturer for around $150-ish and those options include Quicktel EM06-A & Sierra's Aircard around $160 (and one more I don't recall without having to consult with the screenshot from my Chromebook). The adapter if you decide on an M.2-based modem is between $1 and $20 depending on where you source it from. Amazon - highest side, direct from CN depends on SQ and patience, but obviously quite cheaper. I was checking things off the list, Gigabit, dual band wifi, one uplink, 4 downs all GBit, metal case with 12V / 2A (=24W) wall wart, 1x USB 3.0, MTK7621A dual core CPU/chipset, full QoS support, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

If you can think of what I forgot, just ask! :p :cool: :eek: :rolleyes: Pandemic reminder included at no extra charge...

Those things (modems) are nowhere near as big as you might think from the pictures used: the mPCIe form factor is _very_ slightly larger than the M.2 which is 30x42mm - you can hide one under a pair of domestic / US commemorative postage stamps without tearing them apart - swear to hey-zeus o_O. My quick unchecked computation gives you about 1.16" x 1.66"?? Maybe - close enough. The metal box itself is also smaller than you might think, around 10" wide by 7" deep by 1" thick.

Exact metric is 235x165x20mm = 9.25"W x 6.5"D x 0.78"H but the rubber feet make it basically 1" height (or "tall") and 9 1/4" wide by 6 1/2" deep. Obviously that's exclusive of the antennas, so if you are measuring to precisely fit, make it 12" x 8" to give it some air breathing / cooling room. The PCBA inside is roughly 4"x6". As already noted, the modem is roughly the size of two US commemorative stamps side-by-side (really, despite the overblown pictures used by both makers, AirPrime (Sierra Wireless, made in Vietnam) and Quectel - PRC).

Current source - from Shenzen China giving about an 10 to 14 day lead time, your mileage WILL vary, obviously! See attached captured yesterday:

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 9.27.16 PM.png

Obviously if you prefer the "aliexpress.com" route, you can up-chuck $30-$50 and go with identical twin sister from Huasifei Global and feel better (fuzzily).

Here's detailed view of model numbers vice US$ pricing: (plus your tailored shipping / delivery adjusted to your precise location)

Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 6.24.02 PM.png

The model numbers (shown above) likely indicate they have custom logo and/or graphics, but essentially are exactly what you get with the Zhibotong ("ZBT") OEM original design and I don't know it the SATA is there yet - it's an optional component, and IHNI what you would benefit unless you were doing some specialized app, like perhaps distributing code, apps, etc? That shows the model of the modem included, as well. Quectel EC25AF, EP06A - both mPCIe, AirPrime (Sierra) MC7455 mPCIe, EM7565 M.2 also Sierra Wireless and finally the M.2 based Quectel EM12-G global model all with a variety of bands, which you can look up if it is truly important to you and in almost all cases - it's not. That's why they are smart enough to negotiate - and also why the sometimes make weird (and wrong) choices. You really want to figure out aggregation if you have it available and start looking at MIMO options, likely best choice being LPDA (Log Periodic Dipole Array) antenna. You can spend $0 and use the included bat wings rated 5dBi up to beaucoup bucks for a pair of truly overkill LPDA rated at crazy (and almost surely overstated) numbers like 15dBi up to 19dBi mounted at 90 degree opposing for MIMO 2x2. Realize that you're amplifying noise equally with the good and SQ is always King!

Last edited:
I know and occasionally work with the folks at GL-Inet... They're a good group of folks and engaged with the community of potential developers.

They have more than a few interesting devices - and all are openwrt based... things that come to mind.
  • AR150 - old school N150 device, totally open, nice little IOT router - I'm deploying these as Wireguard endpoints
  • AR300m - perfectly balanced N300 class device - fast ethernet and wifi - there's NAND and NOR only variants
  • MV1000 Brume - interesting take on the Marvell Reference (EspressoBin) - rhymes strong with my old project as a wireline device - note that it can run ubuntu/debian outside of OpenWRT or factory firmware - anyways, fairly powerful Wireguard edge device
  • USB-150 - router on a stick - looks like a USB drive, but it's a fully capable embedded linux device
They've got other interesting stuff as well - personally I would stay away from Mango, mostly because Mediatek and closed source vs. open source...

Last edited:
and last, but most important, is openwrt support (or dd-wrt)

If you can forgo OpenWRT or DD-WRT and "settle" for RMerlin or John's Fork of the AsusWRT, the Asus RT-N66 is a fine, wireless router with all the features you suggest. I just saw several on eBay for 29.99 US. Been using one for 6 years or so with no problems. It will run either of your choices above but the RMerlin and John's Fork alternatives are readily accessible and easy.

You guys are doing some serious grave digging here. This thread is from 2009 , I think the OP probably found an answer by now. :rolleyes:

The OP got bored in Dec 2009 >>

ido2
New Around Here
Joined Oct 9, 2009
Last seen Dec 29, 2009

After TP-Link's latest efforts at firmware lockdown I'm leery of using them.
Seems like that is getting prevalent...some ASUS routers do that too and you have to use the windows recovery disk or get to the CFE mini web server to install open source firmware, see [OpenWrt Wiki] CFE. I think it's an FCC requirement now.

Seems like that is getting prevalent...some ASUS routers do that too and you have to use the windows recovery disk or get to the CFE mini web server to install open source firmware, see [OpenWrt Wiki] CFE. I think it's an FCC requirement now.

Are you bored ? You're replying to a post from 2016 ,the thread itself is from 2009 !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!