What's new

Looking for feedback on Ubiquiti APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyberzeus

New Around Here
Hey there folks...so in the process of researching a bunch of this stuff and I keep reading that Ubi gear is rock solid in terms of reliability on both wired and Wifi networks and performance wise, they do really good wired and just a hair below top notch in the Wifi realm. Do many of you share that view?

Also, my home network is based on backend Cisco gear leveraging some key security features such as VLAN access-maps, IP source verify, etc. This is all a roundabout way of saying I really don't need any L3 functionality (aside from mgmt that is) in my wifi gear - APs are fine. So with that in mind, anyone out there with a similar use-case and also opted for Ubi gear? Would be curious to hear how things have gone for you.

Thanks in advance.

Although I have never used Ubnt stuff, I would like to. Their forums are littered with various issues still and was the reason I steered away from them. As basic APs they are fine but I read about a VLAN issue recently that could affect you.

Their transmission range appears quite variable. Some reporting good range but others report poor range. Could this be a QA issue?

They now support some kind of 11r but maybe not the full implementation which I find rather strange. They pump out lots of firmware updates but very little towards actual features. Their updates are always about ironing out bugs. Still no word on 11k - stand to be corrected.

11v has been promised but until 11k is done then there wouldn't be any sense in going 11v.

Their kit looks pretty. Is priced really well. Has a great looking controller too. Great forum for support. All the positives but I'm just amazed at the lack of progress towards advanced 802.11 features.

Last edited: