What's new

Looking for tips on home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

home_networking

New Around Here
I am moving into 2200 sqft home. Ethernet was installed (cat6) when we need some electrical work done, but am realizing I could have done this better (none terminate for a ceiling mount). I will describe the setup per floor when facing the front of the house:

2nd: 1 ethernet port in each room (two rooms on the left side of the house and two one the right).
1st floor: 2 ethernet ports on the right most room and 1 on the wall in the center of the house (meant for the tv)
basement: coax line comes into the front left side of the house and is where the ethernet wires to. Planning to have the modem here and either a router or access point.

Additionally there is an outdoor space that goes say about 200ft from the house that I would like to wifi access. There is a shed about ~70 feet from the house (could be closer) that was newly wired. I thought maybe a powerline connection could work here or maybe the configuration of the house will enough and this isn't necessary.

So to start the move I will just use the basic Comcast router provided, but I want to get off the monthly rental fee. Does this look suitable: NETGEAR CM1200?

After this I am not quite sure what are some good options.

I suppose I could put a router or access point in center of the house ethernet port and call it day (any recommendations?). I imagine this could be enough as the other rooms will ethernet for anything strenuous such as streaming 4k material or gaming.

But I am wondering if there is anything else people would recommend to ensure a great wifi experience as the house is a deadzone for cell coverage so I want to make sure the wifi is solid.

I appreciate any and all help!

I use a Zyxel AP - NWA210AX and it's performing well with gig+ speeds on the LAN and was on the WAN before cutting CC from the picture to for 5G instead.

I was using the MB8600 and bonding 2 ports on the back to get 1.5gbps from the coax. The thing that is still an issue with cable / DOCSIS is the uploads are completely lopsided @ 40-50mbps.

You'll still need a router though for the FW / NAT function but, any basic wired router will work fine if you go the AP route and add a switch for the wired ports around the house.

I am moving into 2200 sqft home. Ethernet was installed (cat6) when we need some electrical work done, but am realizing I could have done this better (none terminate for a ceiling mount). I will describe the setup per floor when facing the front of the house:

2nd: 1 ethernet port in each room (two rooms on the left side of the house and two one the right).
1st floor: 2 ethernet ports on the right most room and 1 on the wall in the center of the house (meant for the tv)
basement: coax line comes into the front left side of the house and is where the ethernet wires to. Planning to have the modem here and either a router or access point.

Additionally there is an outdoor space that goes say about 200ft from the house that I would like to wifi access. There is a shed about ~70 feet from the house (could be closer) that was newly wired. I thought maybe a powerline connection could work here or maybe the configuration of the house will enough and this isn't necessary.

So to start the move I will just use the basic Comcast router provided, but I want to get off the monthly rental fee. Does this look suitable: NETGEAR CM1200?

After this I am not quite sure what are some good options.

I suppose I could put a router or access point in center of the house ethernet port and call it day (any recommendations?). I imagine this could be enough as the other rooms will ethernet for anything strenuous such as streaming 4k material or gaming.

But I am wondering if there is anything else people would recommend to ensure a great wifi experience as the house is a deadzone for cell coverage so I want to make sure the wifi is solid.

I appreciate any and all help!

Spitballing an ASUS AiMesh:

cable ISP <coax in basement> modem <wire to 1st floor, right room> AiMesh router/AP/root node <wire to basement> switch <wire to wall jacks> LAN clients

<wireless to shed> AiMesh node/AP <wire> LAN clients

<wireless at large> WLAN/Guest WLAN clients

1. Shed power Earth ground should be bonded to house power Earth ground, if using a wired backhaul.
2. Determine shortest distance of wireless backhaul to shed and any significant intervening dense obstacles to radio like fireplaces, etc.
3. Quad- or tri-band nodes could afford a dedicate 5-2 band AXx4 80MHz wireless backhaul between house and shed.

Otherwise, something more conventional and wired. :)

OE

Last edited:
plan view layout maps are worth a thousand words.
Show your preferred options on the maps floor by floor.
rough dimensions and location of walls as well. For the outside access to wifi, the location of windows would be useful.

General idea, but newer models would be better.

Additionally in this scenario, there is only one device emitting the network inthe house, and that is on the right side of it. Would it not be ideal to then place one of those in a room on the second floor on the left side of the house?

Given 2200sf total, the footprint is 1100sf. One central AP can cover 1100sf (say 30x40), depending on the space and materials, etc. If you have a wireless router, you could experiment. Otherwise, yes, you would locate one up and one down, staggered apart, not central... but your router must go near the two cables from/to the basement wiring point.

Worst case... you'd add a node upstairs but too much WiFi is not a good thing.

Also further clarification, the shed is on the right side of the house behind it.

I was assuming the shed was out back toward/into most of the outdoor area. The critical detail is how far from a central AP in the house and the materials in between. My detached wireless node is about at its limit at 77' from the router on the opposite end of the house, through a couple brick walls and kitchen and everything... but adequate service for the garage and yard beyond.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!