What's new

Looking for usb interface wireless network card recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I already relinquished the "it's possibly an engineering problem". And not sure why you need to explain it "stupidly simply" for me when clearly this is what should've been said originally to OP. It's unfortunate I had to aggravate you to correct both of our mistakes. In regards to the products you posted, I'd steer clear of the Comfast, it doesn't work. I've bought it and tried it, complete garbage. I can't say about the other ones, though.

The issue we're talking about here is an electrical engineering problem, which involves understanding the relation between bit rate, HZ, and bandwidth, which is what WiFi uses.

There is no need to heat up this conversation. The Bus is the straw you drink your favorite drink with. The Throughput is how wide the strow is and how fast your drink moves inside of it. The M.2 is your lips, the physical connector. M.2 comes keyed differently for different applications, depending what pins are used. NAND to PCie to USB is a niche product and will be replaced by newer USB memory devices, once they become faster and with larger capacity. Wi-Fi to PCIe to USB to PCIe is simply pointless, if performance is the goal. This product doesn't exist because of low market interest, high multiple controller conversion failure probability and the fact what you call "sleds" have no antenna attachment points. M.2 Wi-Fi cards need external antennas. About Wi-Fi 6E products - no detachable antennas are allowed. This product will be limited to Wi-Fi 6 only, if ever created. And it will be unreliable.

I'm an industrial automation engineer specialized in microelectronics with about 15 years of experience in the field. As my avatar suggests, I can work on electronics on higher than most level. I do have my home lab as well, used mostly for fun since I have different businesses now. I can tell with some thinking and reading this monster device is possible, but is not worth the efforts to create one. Also, since 160MHz wide channel in 5GHz spectrum is not guaranteed, most companies just don't care offering compatible client devices (Apple, as an example).

Data originates through HZ, which is a measurement of electromagnetic frequency.

Interesting.

Last edited:
There is no need to heat up this conversation. The Bus is the straw you drink your favorite drink with. The Throughput is how wide the strow is and how fast your drink moves inside of it. The M.2 is your lips, the physical connector. M.2 comes keyed differently for different applications, depending what pins are used. NAND to PCie to USB is a niche product and will be replaced by newer USB memory devices, once they become faster and with larger capacity. Wi-Fi to PCIe to USB to PCIe is simply pointless, if performance is the goal. This product doesn't exist because of low market interest, high multiple controller conversion failure probability and the fact what you call "sleds" have no antenna attachment points. M.2 Wi-Fi cards need external antennas. About Wi-Fi 6E products - no detachable antennas are allowed. This product will be limited to Wi-Fi 6 only, if ever created. And it will be unreliable.

I'm an industrial automation engineer specialized in microelectronics with about 15 years of experience in the field. As my avatar suggests, I can work on electronics on higher than most level. I do have my home lab as well, used mostly for fun since I have different businesses now. I can tell with some thinking and reading this monster device is possible, but is not worth the efforts to create one. Also, since 160MHz wide channel in 5GHz spectrum is not guaranteed, most companies just don't care offering compatible client devices (Apple, as an example).

Interesting.

"Hertz and Bits per Second do not mean the same thing. They do have a relationship, determined by the bit encoding used.

To illustrate:

• Quadrature Phase Shift Keying: By encoding to one of 4 phase positions for each "wave" or symbol, 2 bits can be carried per symbol. Thus:
  • Thus a 100 KHz carrier can carry 200 kbps of data in ideal case, ignoring any protocol overhead."

@zwitterion

It's not an engineering issue. It's a spectrum issue with Governments needing to sign off on the spectrum changes for 6E. As soon as everyone's in agreement then the products rollout quicker. Intel already attempted to saturate the market with the AX200/210 options for internal use.

If you want bleeding edge 160mhz bandwidth over USB you need to take it into your own hands at the moment. (initial reply / suggestions)

If you want something more refined then you need to wait but, being 2 plus years into 6/6E with Intel it's apparent what the issue is and it's not an engineering issue it's a product development delay due to the spectrum not being released worldwide yet. It's making progress though in different countries releasing it and certifying it for use on the consumer side.

Maybe I need to make this stupidly simple for you?

USB 5gbps <> USB sled <> M2 AX200/210 <> Antennas = WIFI @ 160mhz

The only electrical engineering issue would be if the card exceeded the 5V output from the USB port and if that's the case then you would need to look into a port that provides higher output with PD certification. The card itself though isn't power hungry.

View attachment 42135

@qiuyan81

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MD7G292/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M3PKGXS/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T48C7KB/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1CWLBK/?tag=snbforums-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QQWQS1N/?tag=snbforums-20

These should be able to get close to a 6/6E in terms of speed. While they're not topping out on the 5ghz band @ 2400mbps like the Intel internal card they get you 1/2 way there. Dig through the reviews to check actual speed throughput though.
Thanks for your recommendation, I want to use the wifi6 wireless network card for my mac bookpro 2019. My mbp can only support wifi5 80mhz, but there are 3 t/r data streams, max phy rete can support up to 1300mbps. The ones you recommended didn't improve my network very much. I just want my wifi to support 160mhz/2400mbps. Maybe I can only buy an ax86 as a wireless bridge, and then connect it to the usb 2.5g network port converter with a network cable through its 2.5G network port, but the cost is too high. Requires ax86 x 1, usb/typec 2.5G x1, Cat6e cable x1. Verification is beyond my budget

I want to use the wifi6 wireless network card for my mac bookpro 2019. My mbp can only support wifi5 80mhz, but there are 3 t/r data streams, max phy rete can support up to 1300mbps.
This was the missing piece of the the puzzle (even though it was implied). To improve on this you need a device with three antennas as well as 160MHz operation. As such you can ignore all of the previous responses (AX210, etc.) as there are only talking about devices with one or two antennas. EDIT: Apologies, I had a brain fart and thought you were asking about WiFi 5 devices. As @Tech Junky points out in the following post you'd need a device with two or more antennas (and 160MHz support). I'm not aware of anyone making such a thing with a USB connection at this time.

Last edited:
This was the missing piece of the the puzzle (even though it was implied). To improve on this you need a device with three antennas as well as 160MHz operation. As such you can ignore all of the previous responses (AX210, etc.) as there are only talking about devices with one or two antennas.
AX210 has 2 antennas and I can hit up to 1.3gbps on the LAN.

The issue right now though is nothing has 3-4 antennas to boost beyond that speed. Even with 2 antennas the AX210 syncs with a Link Rate of 2400mbps.

When the other players in the game besides Intel start ramping up production there might be some other options that allow for a single client to run @ MU--MIMO and take advantage of higher speeds with AP's that support 4x4 or higher configurations. Most anything though beyond 2x2 on the client side will be desktop / external options unless you mod your antennas in a laptop yourself and add to the configuration. Most laptops don't ship with anything more than 2 antennas these days but, older gen laptops sometimes had 3 antennas for the old Intel 7 series WIFI adapters.

Some of the reasoning behind 2 antennas w/ AX vs 3+ with AC is the efficiency gains you have with the way data is being transmitted with AX. AC clients w/ 2x2 gave a LR of 866mbps where a typical AX will LR @ 1200mbps. It's all a game of numbers and always a fight to get the most out of your connection with current HW.

1656168913525.png

Top one is AX210 / next is my phone / 3rd is an Android streamer

The AX clients are connecting @ 160mhz just fine. I don't have any issues with it downshifting to 80mhz since the last couple of AP FW updates have stabilized the DFS checks considerably. Refining the placement / configuration to get the top end bandwidth takes a bit of effort but once you get it in place it's great.

Requires ax86 x 1, usb/typec 2.5G x1, Cat6e cable x1. Verification is beyond my budget
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here anyway? Are you looking to boost your LAN speeds to a NAS or something? Do you have an ISP connection that breaks into 2.5-5GE speeds?

If it's internal traffic then you can go Ethernet for ~$40 for a USB adapter or moving to 5GE speeds ~$70 for a USB adapter and then the remote side either direct cable to the port of get a dumb 2.5GE switch for ~$100. No need to upgrade the router unless you're trying to get internet traffic at higher than gig speeds.

Arguing on the internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. One may be good at chess, but the pigeon is going to knock over all the pieces, take a sh!t on the board, strut around like they're victorious, then fly away to their flock, naturally as a pigeon does.

I don't know what we'll be fighting for. Someone to explain and I'll see what I can do about it. :)

Do M.2 Wi-Fi adapters need DMA? If they do, Thunderbolt to PCIe is the eventual hardware solution. I see existing products for external GPUs with much higher bandwidth requirements. Expensive and pointless, but they do exist. If >Gigabit connection is required, USB to 2.5GbE is the fastest and cheapest solution. I don't know what adapters work on macOS.

I don't know what we'll be fighting for. Someone to explain and I'll see what I can do about it. :)

Do M.2 Wi-Fi adapters need DMA? If they do, Thunderbolt to PCIe is the eventual hardware solution. I see existing products for external GPUs with much higher bandwidth requirements. Expensive and pointless, but they do exist. If >Gigabit connection is required, USB to 2.5GbE is the fastest and cheapest solution. I don't know what adapters work on macOS.
usb to 2.5Gbe is available on macOS。
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here anyway? Are you looking to boost your LAN speeds to a NAS or something? Do you have an ISP connection that breaks into 2.5-5GE speeds?

If it's internal traffic then you can go Ethernet for ~$40 for a USB adapter or moving to 5GE speeds ~$70 for a USB adapter and then the remote side either direct cable to the port of get a dumb 2.5GE switch for ~$100. No need to upgrade the router unless you're trying to get internet traffic at higher than gig speeds.
I have nas in my local area network, I have gt-ax6000 and xt12 pro routers, both routers support 2.5Gbe network port, I want my macos to get higher network speed when accessing nas through wifi, unfortunately The wireless network card that comes with the mac notebook is wifi5 (80mhz). 3 tr = 1300Mbps phy rate. . I want to get 2400Mbps and these need 2 tr 2400Mbps (160mhz) of wifi6. Now we can only waste the 2.5Gbe network ports of these two routers

Now we can only waste the 2.5Gbe network ports of these two routers
You can open the laptop and replace the WiFi card with and ax210 or get a USB 2.5 or 5ge adapter.

AX210NGW WiFi Card, WiFi 6E AX210NGW M.2 2230 Wireless WiFi Card BT5.2 802.11ax Tri-Band 160MHz 2x2 MU-MIMO AX210 3000Mbps NGFF, Support Windows 10 64bit, M.2/NGFF https://a.co/d/bgjBTTv

SABRENT USB Type-A or Type-C to 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000/2500 NT-S25G https://a.co/d/5TKbnUR

SABRENT USB Type-A or Type-C to 5-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter [10/100/1000/2500/5000 Mbps] (NT-SS5G) https://a.co/d/2gzKS57

You can open the laptop and replace the WiFi card with and ax210 or get a USB 2.5 or 5ge adapter.
MacBook's from 2016 onward don't have replaceable WiFi cards. I doubt the older models would support a non-Apple replacement.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!